• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Enermax Galaxy 1000W issue

skimike

n00b
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
31
I have an interesting issue with my Enermax Galaxy 1000W power supply. I have it connected to a system with the following specs:

Intel X6800 @ 2.93 (testing stock speeds for max stability until the 680i bugs get worked out)
eVGA 680i motherboard
4GB Corsair PC2-8500C5D
2x eVGA 8800GTX's in SLI pushing 30" HP LP3065 @ 2560x1600
Creative X-Fi Fatality Xtreme Gamer
2x WD Raptor 150GB drives (currently RAID 1)

When I cold boot the system (if it's been off for a few hours and everything is room temp - 70F), as soon as I start a 3D application, this power supply starts beeping and the LED on the back turns red and starts blinking. The manual claims that this combination of beeps and red light blinking means low fan RPMs. If the system has been on for a while and then I start a 3D app, this problem does not occur. It seems like this is an issue with the power supply being "cold" and possibly running the temperature regulated fan at a lower RPM than it should be. Once the system has warmed up, this problem no longer manifests itself. I'm waiting to hear back from Enermax's tech support folks.
 
skimike said:
I have an interesting issue with my Enermax Galaxy 1000W power supply. I have it connected to a system with the following specs:

Intel X6800 @ 2.93 (testing stock speeds for max stability until the 680i bugs get worked out)
eVGA 680i motherboard
4GB Corsair PC2-8500C5D
2x eVGA 8800GTX's in SLI pushing 30" HP LP3065 @ 2560x1600
Creative X-Fi Fatality Xtreme Gamer
2x WD Raptor 150GB drives (currently RAID 1)

When I cold boot the system (if it's been off for a few hours and everything is room temp - 70F), as soon as I start a 3D application, this power supply starts beeping and the LED on the back turns red and starts blinking. The manual claims that this combination of beeps and red light blinking means low fan RPMs. If the system has been on for a while and then I start a 3D app, this problem does not occur. It seems like this is an issue with the power supply being "cold" and possibly running the temperature regulated fan at a lower RPM than it should be. Once the system has warmed up, this problem no longer manifests itself. I'm waiting to hear back from Enermax's tech support folks.

I too have this problem with the Enermax Galaxy 1000w.

It bleeps for me as soon as i boot the system, it then sometimes stops bleeping and lets my ears get a break....

Once in windows its quiet but when i launched 3dmark earlier the bleeping began again, same with starting medieval total war 2....
 
I have noticed that if I boot the system and let it warm up for 15 minutes before running any applications, then it usually does not to beep. On cold starts, however, there is definitely a problem. I'm glad I am not the only one experiencing this.
 
Interesting...
I've been running the Galaxy 1000W for two weeks now and haven't experienced this problem.

Are you guys sure you have the sensor plugged into the correct spot on the motherboard?
If it was plugged into the wrong fan header I could see the PSU getting an improper reading.
 
It doesn't matter which header I plug the power supply into or even if I plug it in at all. The behavior is still the same - until it warms up, if I try to do anything that draws load, it alarms. I've set all the fans to 100% manual in BIOS, tried them on Auto, and tried with the power supply completely disconnected (I believe the power supply regulates its fans with its own thermal sensors and that the connection is just for getting readings on fan RPMs but the manual is so poorly documented that I could be wrong).

Which header have you plugged yours into? I've tried the one on the right side of the motherboard and the two along the bottom (looking at the motherboard as it is oriented in the case). I've even tried the VREG fan to the lower left of the CPU. The only one I haven't tried is the fan header between all the PCI-E slots. None of the headers are explicitly labelled for power supply; they're all chassis fans.
 
I have similar problem with my enermax 600w noisetaker, booting from cold can sometimes give me problems but booting when the powerunit has been running for a few hours their is no problem, only when the pus has been sitting turned off for about 10+ hours does this happen....
 
OCC_Yoda said:
beat me too it!! I have the PC Power & Cooling 1k in my rig!!
And this post was useful because?

I'm interested to see what Enermax says.
 
skimike,

I have a different board than you (P5W-DH), so our fan headers are obviously laid out differently.

It's a wonky problem you guys are having that's for sure...
I'll be interested to hear what Enermax has to say about it.

I wonder if it isn't a batch of faulty units that got out?
 
as you say, it must sense that the load put on it in 3d apps is too great for the low fan speed it was running at when the pc was idle. I would guess its not gonna fix itself, and they might recall the unit to sort it out. If the fan changed speed on load all would be fine.

Once the psu is warm the fan will be faster anyway so it wont beep.

_Korruption_?

Have you emailed Enermax.

im also interested in what they say, a friend has one of these PSU's with no problems. X6800, 4gb ddr2, dual 8800 gtxs.
 
I received an email from Enermax today asking me to RMA my power supply and that they have a new revision that solves the problem so apparently this is a known issue for them. At least they're letting me send it back on their dime. :)
 
I just got my Enermax Galaxy 1,000 watts in early Nov. havnt experienced any of those problems maybe I got the new revision?????
 
Good to hear its a problem Enermax knew about and are willing to take care of.
Any idea as to what batch(es) were affected?

I got mine in early November as well & it's been running fine, so I don't suspect it's part of one of the "off" batches.
 
No idea which batch it might have been. Could have been the difference between the first models that were released early on when the Galaxy 1000w was introduced and the latest releases. I ordered from directron and, as they're not quite newegg, they might have had some older inventory. The unit itself worked fine and, once it warmed up, the alarms went away so my guess is it's just a controller chip that needs a bit of reprogramming.
 
i ordered mine from mwave.com early november... im sure they move inventory out fast... i hope mine is a newer revision :(
 
I had the same problem......

I have Asus P5WDG2 WS Professional MOTHERBOARD.......and i use galaxy for one month without any problem......one day i upgrade RAM FROM 2gb to 4gb....so i unplug galaxy PWR_FAN because is located near the RAM slot.....i change memory modules........and then i forgot to connect galaxy PWR_FAN again before reboot workstation. Computer start but for the first time RED LED BLINK AND SHORT BEEP accured.......I TRY all solution but nothing........

info: motherboad have never detect RPM from PSU....before the problem start i had a 12cm chassis fan connected into motherboard CHA_FAN1 and galaxy PWR_FAN to motherboard PWR_FAN.....

now i fix the problem in this way

please see the pictures

issue.jpg
 
Galaxy PWR_FAN cable have only two wire. Black for FAN M ( ROTATION) and the white that is the COM or GRN.

My chassis fan have 3 cable BLU, RED WHITE.

in my pictures you can see that i use two cable to connect galaxy PWR_FAN into the CHASSIS FAN CONNECTOR....

i used the BLACK connected into the BLUE ( ROTATION) and i uses a RED ( i had never a white cable so i use this red) but this red is connected to the WHITE into the CHASSIS FAN CONNECTOR....be carefull

be shure to connect in the right way.....

i take some pictures becose i know that is a little bit confused
 
I try to unplug the galaxy PWR_FAN BLACK AND WHITE cable when workstation run and the short beet start again but if reconnect again the white cable only the short beep stop.......so i think that the white only is the MAGIC cable that fix this issue
 
but then you lose the warning if the actual fan fails on the psu itself...
 
i dont even have that wire connected to the board,the galaxy pwr_fan connector.. i remember my manual saying that its just an rpm detector so the board can tell how many rpms the fan is moving? so i just left it alone.. never installed it....
 
i have the same enermax PSU

it beeps when i load up ANY 3d app.... thats just nuts!!

it must be something to do with current draw or something once my 8800gtx fires up... lol

has anyone got an exchange that works properly?
 
so??

anyone has an explanation as to why the darn psu keeps beeping when running 3d apps??? (error code says fan too slow or faulty)
as soon as i start the game... it beeps incessantly for a few minutes then stops... THIS MUST INTEREST SOME OF YOU TECH GEEKS OUT THERE!?!

what does enermax say?

im trying to RMA this damn thing now...
 
interestingly... after using this thing for a while... (because my supplier is closed for the xmas season) this problem has completely gone away...

hmmmmmm

no RMA i suppose
 
Back
Top