Enduro Question - Possible Laptop replacements

charold

Limp Gawd
I picked up a steal on a Dell Inspiron 15 7547 with a Core i7 4710u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips touch screen, and I upgraded it to a 500gb ssd. I love this laptop, and planned on keeping it and selling my other gaming laptop (lenovo y410p with 755m), but I miss being able to load up some lighter games on the go.

I saw the 7547 and 7548 Inspirons with AMD M270 graphics cards, which should do well for me, but I'm wondering if anyone has any luck with the Enduro? Is it as good as the Nvidia Optimus about auto-detecting and switching the graphics back?

Also open to potential other thin, light, IPS touch laptops in the 14-15.6" range. No heaver than the approx 2kg/4.5lbs is preferred. The 754x line seems to be really good bargains used on ebay (i7 8gb ip touch discrete gpu and aluminum for the $650-750 range).

I donno I'm having issues getting some games to even start on my z51 sid meiers beyond earth being one trying to get the mantle game running. I had to go back and tell it to use the dgpu for some games and the settings are not as simple as assigning a gpu to a task...

Optimus works quite well. You don't even notice a switch, it just works. You can go into the NVidia control panel and choose what GPU specific apps will run on, you can also enable a right click context menu so if you right click on an .exe you can choose what GPU to use.

Enduro is sorta the same with the exception of you don't assign it as dGPU or iGPU you assign it as max performance and powersaving. Also some programs are locked to power saving only. And when all the drivers are installed my screen is blurred rather than crisp... honestly I would like to have a laptop with a dGPU and be able to choose to use the dGPU exclusively.

Enduro is not considered to be as good as Optimus in terms of implmentation.

The m270 will actually be slower than your older GT 755m GDDR5.

They had Inspirons with GT 750m GDDR5s as well. I don't what they would be going for on ebay.

They had Inspirons with GT 750m GDDR5s as well. I don't what they would be going for on ebay.

I just got a laptop with a m375 I am having issues with picture quality and getting some steam games to run at all

Not sure if this is still an issue (I believe it has been addressed though?) but one of the major early problems with Enduro was drivers and especially that you had to go through manufacturer drivers.

Not sure if that is the issue you are running into. There are some third party work arounds that may allow you to install the latest from catalyst mobility however.

Yeah, it's definitely going to be in the neighborhood of 30-40% slower, but I'm fine with that. Just looking to play games like Orcs Must Die, and other more indie-3d games which the iGPU struggles with (especially at native res of 1080p). I had to put Life is Strange to 720p with all settles on low, and it struggled to keep 30fps which is irritating.

The Inspirons with the 750m are bigger and bulkier (inspiron 7537), and I'm really liking the svelteness of the newer 7000 series. Why in the world did they go with the 270m? Save some money, not compete so well with the XPS line maybe?

My m375 is super thin but hot damn does it get hot I'm probably going to need some sort of pad honestly I think they could have had a bigger cooling unit or perhaps a dual cooling unit on the z51-70 I kinda wish I had gone with the y50 but the issue with the hinges is a pet peeve of mine and the hinges on the z51-70 seem well designed...

Back