End of 775....?

Majeztik12

Limp Gawd
Just wondering if Intel is planning to produce future socket 775 proc. or is 1366 the future?

They will be releasing more low-end LGA775 CPUs. However, they will be focusing mainly on LGA1366 processors in the future.

yeah 775 is basicaly dead though they will be releasing a replacement low end socket for i 7 processors though i forget what it is exactly...

to answer your answer with yes or no. Yes, it is basically the end. Just like PCI-E ended VGA overnight, the new LGA 1366 will be Intel's primary focus.

Yeah that is not correct AT ALL.

They are releasing in January new Quad core 775 chips. The Q9550s, q9650s, and one other. They are More or less the same chip but with much lower TDP ratings.

That probably will be the end of the 775 chips at that point if I were to guess, but who knows. I also wouldn't rule out seeing some "higher" end Celeron type 775 chips before they fully kill the 775 line.

I really don't think I will need to upgrade from 775 until 2010 maybe later so even though it's dieing it should be around for a while, you just wont see much new or high end on it.

the price to performance ratio is to low for me. I keep telling my buddies to upgrade now before the have to buy all to new more expansive stuff. my q6600 should late me a year or more by then price should be more resonable to me.

Dunno about you, but I got a helluva nice new PC setup with the "older" 775 socket vs paying the outragous prices for the i7. No thanks, ask me again in two years.

S478 still isn't quite dead so I think that S775 will last for a couple of years yet. You can still buy S478 processors and motherboards although nobody would really want to build a new system out of it.

S478 still isn't quite dead so I think that S775 will last for a couple of years yet. You can still buy S478 processors and motherboards although nobody would really want to build a new system out of it.

S478 is indeed quite dead. CPUs and motherboards for that socket are no longer in production.

S478 is indeed quite dead. CPUs and motherboards for that socket are no longer in production.

That's incorrect. Intel still sells the Prescott 3.0Ghz processor and there are a few (albeit low-end) S478 boards in production. I'm sure that the Prescotts are coming from Intel's inventory, but the S478 motherboards are 'current'. Some links for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116027
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130178

That's incorrect. Intel still sells the Prescott 3.0Ghz processor and there are a few (albeit low-end) S478 boards in production. I'm sure that the Prescotts are coming from Intel's inventory, but the S478 motherboards are 'current'. Some links for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116027
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130178

It wouldn't surprise me if that motherboard was also being sold from inventory. I will acknowledge the possibility that there are still S478 boards in production though.

Dunno about you, but I got a helluva nice new PC setup with the "older" 775 socket vs paying the outragous prices for the i7. No thanks, ask me again in two years.

people are too use to paying bargain prices for their computer parts. x2 4400's were $500 at launch, e6600's were $350 at launch. the i7 920 is a quad core, eight thread processor, that sold for just under $300 at launch.

I'll continue my Q9550 build and wait a year or so before I go 1366. By then i'll hand my comp down to one of my brothers.

It's all relative.... If your computer does'nt slow you down and does everything you need... fast enough, then it's not obsolete. The I7 chips are nice, what's keeping sales down is the $300 motherboard and super expensive DDR3.

I keep thinking that if OpenCL catches on we'll all be more concerned about our GPUs and S775 will last us even longer.

New tech is great, but until my current rig can't do what I want it to do, I'm content to sit on the sidelines. A Q6600 @ 3.2 still smokes pretty much anything I throw at it. I'm not saying it can do "everything out there" but it does a great job with "everything I want" so why spend more money right now?

When the platform is the issue, I'll upgrade.

I don't see anything but a video card upgrade for me during 2010, and it has nothing to do with my budget.

I7 = 120 FPS, system in sig = 95 FPS. Moot point for me on a 22" monitor, Even at max settings, I won't notice it, and when I do, new video card(s) will be my bang/buck band aid.

Windows 7 SP1 is my current target for a new build. Even if I was building new now, I would go P45 with two 4830s. Now that's a bang for the buck system.

Just because Intel is pulling the plug on it towards the end of next year doesn't mean it won't be supported by manufacturers any more. They still have to produce parts for warranty replacement for up to a year after no more CPU's are produced, or however long their warranty is good for. So, realistically, we are looking at roughly 2-3 more years of support on the format. There probably won't be any new designs for mobo's and such coming out, but we'll still be able to get what's currently available.

I'm not worried about it. I feel comfortable knowing I'll be able to get a decent replacement 775 mobo for the next few years.

They are releasing in January new Quad core 775 chips. The Q9550s, q9650s, and one other. They are More or less the same chip but with much lower TDP ratings.

And that will be my next upgrade. Socket 1366 can kiss my ass. Sure, $300 at launch for a quad-core isn't a whole lot of money but $300 motherboards and $300 kits of RAM are a big no-no. I'll wait for its refresh or die-shrink, whatever comes first I suppose. Socket 1366, see you in 2010 (if you still exist of course ;))

Bingo. In fact, today I just bought a new E8500 based system and the price to performance ratio is sick good. I'll post my specs when I get it assembled.

Yea I just bought a Q9550 from a forum member here. End of 775? its like saying dooms day was on y2k and were still living aren't we?

It's all relative.... If your computer does'nt slow you down and does everything you need... fast enough, then it's not obsolete. The I7 chips are nice, what's keeping sales down is the $300 motherboard and super expensive DDR3.

That's exactly whats doing it for me. I cant imagine even paying that much for a motherboard.

Westemere looks like good time for upgrade. Six cores, 32nm, much lower wattage, 12 MB L3 - it will make a 920 look broken

Yea I just bought a Q9550 from a forum member here. End of 775? its like saying dooms day was on y2k and were still living aren't we?

hahah so true! lol
just gotta say going from Athlon 64 and P4 to Core2Quad... and 1 GB RAM to 4GB RAM i still havent see any program that is slowing me down when i work... ( expect my own brain :p )
and the most important part is that it is much cheaper compare to the i7
even tho it is true that it will make ur rig much faster... but i believe 80% of the ppl wont notice or need it... just like ppl buying a 300HP+ car :rolleyes: ( and personally i think a 200HP car for city driving is more than enough and 300HP for european countries since i really had trouble going around Germany with a 100HP car that i rent lol )

to answer your answer with yes or no. Yes, it is basically the end. Just like PCI-E ended VGA overnight, the new LGA 1366 will be Intel's primary focus.

wrong, and wrong. you mean agp. and far from killing it off overnight. a couple days ago bfg announced a program to swap all their old agp card for pcie. nvidia and ati kept producing agp cards for years. also in a story a few weeks ago, intel is considering extending socket 775 until 2011.

http://www.cpu3d.com/news/6539-1/in...le-for-socket-775-based-processors/story.html

The 775 is still going strong, however the i7 is now intels primary focus.

I just built a new rig with an 8400 in it.

I didn't want to pay for an i7 (especially as I am in Australia) and the 8400 was enough for my usage.

In 12-18 months when 1160/phenom 2 is out then I may decide to upgrade.

Did someone say they were looking for S478 parts? I got a nice little rig in my sig that just needs a new hard drive :p. It played roughly 100 days of WoW over 3 years and still worked fine when the HDDs gave out.

Back