encryption and specific file backup for DS214play

amrogers3

Gawd
Not sure if this should go here or under the network topic.

I have two questions regarding the Synology DS214Play:

1) Does the 214play offer encryption? When I use the "NAS Selector", it lists the 214Play has encryption but when I compare the 214play to the 214+, it says the 214+ has encryption but the 214Play does not. Which is correct?

2) Does either the 214+ or 214play automatically backup specific folders? For example, if I add file to a specific folder, will it automatically save the file to the NAS without me having to manually do it? I just want to do specific folders instead of complete HD backups.

The 214Play does not have hardware encryption due to the Atom CPU. It'll do encryption, but it'll be in software. Expect a performance hit.

These are NAS devices that share folders. Your backup app would be responsible for backing up data to the NAS and handling new files. I don't think Synology gives you anything to use on your desktop or servers. I backup my Macs to my Synology boxes using the builtin Time Machine. If on Windows you could use the builtin backup function to do the same and it would handle backing up new files to a folder on the Synology.

Hi NetJunkie, thanks for post.

So, the Atom would be faster than the Marvell overall but if I want to do encryption that will slow it down. so I will have to choose between streaming videos or security. Not cool.

Ok, one more question for you. I use a mac as well. If I have a folder one macbook and folder on Synology device, is there a way to sync between the two folders? Actually, I would just need one-way sync from macbook to Synology.

Hi NetJunkie, thanks for post.

So, the Atom would be faster than the Marvell overall but if I want to do encryption that will slow it down. so I will have to choose between streaming videos or security. Not cool.

Ok, one more question for you. I use a mac as well. If I have a folder one macbook and folder on Synology device, is there a way to sync between the two folders? Actually, I would just need one-way sync from macbook to Synology.

You'd have to do something like rsync to keep them in sync. Just a scheduled job to do it.

The 214play is built to stream media. It's their first offering in that line. Expect to see larger units with hardware media transcoding in the future. Yes, you will take a good performance hit if doing encryption. In tests on my boxes it's about half the write throughput if I turn on software encryption. Just remember that encryption is for someone stealing your drives. I don't think it's worth it, but that's up to you.

Is rsync the best utility/program to use for backing up individual folders?

Is there a different NAS backup solution that offers folder auto sync?

Have to remember...the NAS has no clue what's in a folder on your Mac. It would have to mount that directory and track it. So something on the Mac has to back those files up to the NAS. rsync is built in and works well. Or just use Time Machine..it won't do a 1:1 folder sync but you can always mount your Time Machine backup and grab files from that folder..and it keeps versions so if you delete a file on the local folder it'll have an old version. rsync may just delete that file off the NAS next time it runs and then you won't have a copy.

NJ, correct me if I am worng but doesn't Time Machine backup a whole hard drive? That would prevent "easily" going in and grabbing a particular folder or file you are looking for.

Does rsync work remotely?

Have you used Synology's Cloud Station? http://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/home_file_sharing_cloud_station

Seems like that could auto syncs and work with multiple computers. However, not sure if it does remote syncing.

Side question: what is the benefit of encoding on the NAS if you can run the video on the computer?

Last edited:
You can tell Time Machine to backup specific folders.

rsync works remotely..just mount the share on the NAS and it'll see it as a local folder too on your Mac under /Volumes.

I've used Cloud Station. Works well. They used to have a, I think, 100MB file size limit but that may be gone now.

Transcoding on the NAS is important if you say run Plex on your NAS and want to stream to something like a Roku or AppleTV that only supports limited codecs. On a Mac or PC it's not a big deal. They understand almost all codecs..but the small devices don't so something has to convert videos from your stored format to one they understand, unless you always store your videos in a supported format. The 214play does that conversion in hardware, not software.

Back