Encrypt software

FearXI

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for some free encrypt software for Windows 8.

I'm looking to encrypt the full drive rather than just files or a folder.
Any tips?

Trucrypt can do amazing things, including encrypting your whole damn Windows installation. And the performance hit is not as severe as one would expect. With the current CPUs having hardware AES capabilities I assume it'd be completely usable. You can use files as keys (instead of passwords, you have an mp3 that unlocks your other data), have multiple containers in one encrypted file...
I implemented a simple way for employees to carry their data around on flashdrives using a portable truecrypt install, and two batch files that 'unlocks' and 'locks' their data as they begin and end their work sessions. All it needs is administrator access to the computer they're working on (for the purpose of loading the encryptor driver).
Use truecrypt. Uuuuuseee eeeeeet :D

edit: just saw win8 is unsupported... it probably will be eventually, it's too good not to be

I downloaded it and looked around in it looks perfect for me.
It says it does everything I'm looking for.
Anyone have an idea how long they have been saying they're working on Windows 8 support?

But besides truecrypt is there anything else that can do the same or nearly the same as that?

The Crucial m500 SSD line is the first to support eDrive, which could be very interesting.

"Finally, eDrive is a new standard from Microsoft that debuted with Windows 8. This allows computers with an UEFI loaded Windows 8 operating system to tap into the native encryption engine of any storage device that is TCG Opal and IEEE-1667 compliant. In the past, Bitlocker required excessive computational power from the computer to handle the encryption algorithms, with eDrive the encryption works without any host overhead. eDrive allows an encrypted SSD to function normally and without performance loss associated with older encryption methods."

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/05/28/crucial_m500_480gb_ssd_review/1#.Ua_GI-ufglU

Truecrypt doesn't work in Windows 8?

True8_zpsf626ed05.jpg

If you want FDE you could always use Bitlocker if you have the right version of Windows 8.

All OEM Windows 8 installations must have Secure Boot enabled. Secure Boot only works on GPT, not MBR. TrueCrypt doesn't support GPT system partitions.

The picture above is not of a system partition.

Back