Encore Bridge/AP Not Listening

RhoXS

Weaksauce
I purchased an ENCORE ENRXWI-G Wireless LAN Extender from Newegg. It will not respond to its default address, 192.168.1.1, either from a browser or by pinging from a Command Prompt.

I turned off the wireless adapter on my laptop to avoid confusion with my wireless router since the router uses the same address (192.168.1.1). Using an Ethernet cable I then connected the ENRXWI-G to the laptop. The three lights (Power, WLAN, Ethernet) on the front panel responded correctly but it did not respond to its advertised address of 192.168.1.1. I tried resetting it to factory defaults to no avail. I even tried a second laptop thinking the Ethernet port might be bad but had the same result. Assuming the device was bad, I sent it back to Newegg and they immediately sent me another new one. The new one is also not responding.

Since the second one is also not responding I am now thinking I am doing something wrong but I am at a dead end when it comes to finding a solution. Any ideas would be appreciated as I do not think it is likely both devices are bad.

did you manually configure an IP address on the Local Area Connection on your laptop?
Since it's a repeater, it will not offer DHCP, so you will need to manually configure an IP address on your laptop, temporarily, to get the device configured.

did you manually configure an IP address on the Local Area Connection on your laptop?
Since it's a repeater, it will not offer DHCP, so you will need to manually configure an IP address on your laptop, temporarily, to get the device configured.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am not exactly sure how to do this on the laptop. I assume I at least:

1. Open Network & Sharing Center
2. Click on "Change adapter settings"
3. Right click the "Local Area Connection"
4. Click "Properties"

There now appears to be two listings that I think apply:

-Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
-Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

Right now both, by default, have "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" checked. I assume I need to manually specify the IP address, subnet mask, Default Gateway, Preferred DNS server, and Alternate DNS server.
Unfortunately I am not sure what to use for addresses in these fields. I also am not sure if I need to modify both or only one of the two protocols. Some more advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am not exactly sure how to do this on the laptop. I assume I at least:

1. Open Network & Sharing Center
2. Click on "Change adapter settings"
3. Right click the "Local Area Connection"
4. Click "Properties"

There now appears to be two listings that I think apply:

-Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
-Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

Right now both, by default, have "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" checked. I assume I need to manually specify the IP address, subnet mask, Default Gateway, Preferred DNS server, and Alternate DNS server.
Unfortunately I am not sure what to use for addresses in these fields. I also am not sure if I need to modify both or only one of the two protocols. Some more advice would be appreciated.

you should actually only need to modify the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
and you would need to change it frmo Obtain IP Address Automatically to the Use the Specified (or whatever that option is).

IP address, put in 192.168.1.254
Subnet mask most likely the default 255.255.255.0
gateway, not really necessary for this, but you can put in 192.168.1.1

the DNS entries are not necessary, since this is only for configuring the repeater.

Back