1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Lots of video transcoding. Ripping my blu-rays, and recompressing them into High Quality MKVs (they average 12-16 GB each) for playback on my HTPC.
Filserving above mentioned files to PCs on network, so this rig will be on nearly 24/7.
Web surfing.
Light to mid gaming. I don't play a lot, but when I do I like to keep graphical settings relatively high.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$850ish USD, incl tax+shipping, can swing up a tad higher if needed, but I would like to stay around this mark.
3) Where do you live?
Buffalo NY
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU
RAM
Motherboard
Video Card
Hard Drive for OS, prefer Solid State if Possible
Possible budget Heatsink that is decent for light overclocking.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Power Supply: XFX P1-650X, (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207002) Already have this, got it from a friend cheap, they used it for 2 months.
Case: A good ol' Antec 1080 AMG (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1258&page=2)
Drives:
SATA BluRay Reader Drive
SATA DVD+RW Drive
SATA 2x1TB Samsung EcoGreen 5.4K RPM drives - Media storage
IDE 250 GB 7200 RPM drive, currently houses OS, will likely get rid of this drive.
6) Will you be overclocking?
I'd like to do a light overclock, but nothing extreme that would require over-volting my CPU or Case modding, etc.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
22" Widescreen LCD
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next 2 weeks-month.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
I'd like to have USB 3 / SATA 6GB support for future upgradability.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
No. My current PC runs XP, but I will be upgrading to Win 7 64 bit home prem for this PC, however this is not to be included in the build cost I mentioned as I have already budgeted separately for my OS.
ADDITIONAL Notes/Concerns:
-I'd like to go with an intel build.
-This will be an upgrade from a non-overclocked Core 2 Duo E7200. Since my main concern is transcoding, would this new PC be a worthwhile upgrade, it currently takes ungodly amounts of time to process my videos.
Lots of video transcoding. Ripping my blu-rays, and recompressing them into High Quality MKVs (they average 12-16 GB each) for playback on my HTPC.
Filserving above mentioned files to PCs on network, so this rig will be on nearly 24/7.
Web surfing.
Light to mid gaming. I don't play a lot, but when I do I like to keep graphical settings relatively high.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$850ish USD, incl tax+shipping, can swing up a tad higher if needed, but I would like to stay around this mark.
3) Where do you live?
Buffalo NY
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU
RAM
Motherboard
Video Card
Hard Drive for OS, prefer Solid State if Possible
Possible budget Heatsink that is decent for light overclocking.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Power Supply: XFX P1-650X, (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207002) Already have this, got it from a friend cheap, they used it for 2 months.
Case: A good ol' Antec 1080 AMG (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1258&page=2)
Drives:
SATA BluRay Reader Drive
SATA DVD+RW Drive
SATA 2x1TB Samsung EcoGreen 5.4K RPM drives - Media storage
IDE 250 GB 7200 RPM drive, currently houses OS, will likely get rid of this drive.
6) Will you be overclocking?
I'd like to do a light overclock, but nothing extreme that would require over-volting my CPU or Case modding, etc.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
22" Widescreen LCD
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next 2 weeks-month.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
I'd like to have USB 3 / SATA 6GB support for future upgradability.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
No. My current PC runs XP, but I will be upgrading to Win 7 64 bit home prem for this PC, however this is not to be included in the build cost I mentioned as I have already budgeted separately for my OS.
ADDITIONAL Notes/Concerns:
-I'd like to go with an intel build.
-This will be an upgrade from a non-overclocked Core 2 Duo E7200. Since my main concern is transcoding, would this new PC be a worthwhile upgrade, it currently takes ungodly amounts of time to process my videos.