Enabling XMP on Asus Maximus x Hero causing cpu to exceed power limit and throttle down

fst89lx

Weaksauce
I finally got my new pc put together and decided to stress test it. PC is i7-8086k Asus Maximus x hero, gskill trident z 3200

When running the "optimized defaults" in bios, I can stress w/ prime95 and it runs just fine, 4.3ghz all core, temps below 70, etc. But if I enable XMP in bios, I go back to stress with p95 and HWinfo shows "yes" in all of the columns for core power limit exceeded, and the cpu will downclock under 4ghz on all cores. Temps are not the problem, they are under 70.

MCE is not the issue either, tried auto, enabled, and disabled. Same issue each time.

I don't know what to do now, All I want is my ram to run at 3200mhz not trying to OC cpu at all.

Any help would be great guys!

If it holds the core clocks, it’s fine. The memory controller is in the CPU so it uses more power when your RAM is over locked.

It is not holding the core clocks, that's why I made the post. As I said above, on optimized defaults everything is great. When XMP is on and I stress test, HWinfo will say I am exceeding core power limit for all cpu cores and downclock the processor.

you need to increase the power limit, might need to run XTU to up it. had to use it for a z97 board here. ran XTU, upped power/tdp limits and then OC'd via bios.

Whoops I suck at reading.
No prob man.

you need to increase the power limit, might need to run XTU to up it. had to use it for a z97 board here. ran XTU, upped power/tdp limits and then OC'd via bios.

I see that option in my bios as well, except for one problem, I can't change the values unless I go into "manual" mode. Which in that mode I would have to enter the ram timings myself ( I can do it, I'm just nervous since I've never done it before) Also, I don't know if I can just not touch anything else except ram timings and power limit and the cpu will still run as stock, or what?

Another thing I thought of, is there any chance that NOT having a gpu installed could be causing the cpu to go over power limit during a stress test? I have not moved my gpu to the new rig yet, I am running it on the integrated graphics.

Last edited:
No prob man.

I see that option in my bios as well, except for one problem, I can't change the values unless I go into "manual" mode. Which in that mode I would have to enter the ram timings myself ( I can do it, I'm just nervous since I've never done it before) Also, I don't know if I can just not touch anything else except ram timings and power limit and the cpu will still run as stock, or what?

Another thing I thought of, is there any chance that NOT having a gpu installed could be causing the cpu to go over power limit during a stress test? I have not moved my gpu to the new rig yet, I am running it on the integrated graphics.
yes you need to do it manually. just duplicate the timings(write that down!) and reenter them, you can leave whatever else on auto.

no gpu should not be an issue unless you are stressing the igpu too, then it might. im not sure as ive always had a gpu.

Got ano
yes you need to do it manually. just duplicate the timings(write that down!) and reenter them, you can leave whatever else on auto.

no gpu should not be an issue unless you are stressing the igpu too, then it might. im not sure as ive always had a gpu.

Is ther any need for me to mess with system agent and vccio ( I think that is what I've seen mentioned before by some) or just leave that alone for now

Got ano

Is ther any need for me to mess with system agent and vccio ( I think that is what I've seen mentioned before by some) or just leave that alone for now
nope. youre not OCing so you can leave everything else alone.

nope. youre not OCing so you can leave everything else alone.
Really appreciate the help man, sorry for all the questions, but I have one more. When you say that I can leave it alone because I'm not OC'ing, that is in reference to the cpu right?

Really appreciate the help man, sorry for all the questions, but I have one more. When you say that I can leave it alone because I'm not OC'ing, that is in reference to the cpu right?
no prob. yeah I thought you just want to run cpu at stock and ram at 3200. so you dont need to change anything else.

no prob. yeah I thought you just want to run cpu at stock and ram at 3200. so you dont need to change anything else.

Yes, absolutely correct, Stock cpu, 3200mhz ram. I'll hook this thing back up later tonight and see what happens when I put in these timings.
Thanks again man!

Well I am at a complete loss.
In bios I cannot change ram timings manually. There is a drop down to select dram frequency, I put it on 3200. There is another menu that is dram timing control and it shows what timings are currently set, but I cannot change them no matter what I do.
I have tried in all "modes" in the bios if you will. Asus has auto, xmp, and manual. none of them will let me change dram timings. any ideas?

I am running the newest bios from asus as well.

I actually cannot set ANYTHING in bios. I put it in manual mode again and just scrolled down to where you can set vcore to manual/adaptive/offset, I can't enter a vcore value, I put it on adaptive, still can't change any values. I am not trying to OC just playing around, I'm back to optimized defaults again.

um not sure. is the ai tweaker in manual mode? that should unlock the dram timings.

LMAO! Maybe I ate paint chips as a kid, but I can enter information. here is what messed me up, so I go into dram timing control menu, it shows the timing that is currently set, and then in the box next to it, says auto. I was expecting that when I clicked that or hit enter that I would get a flashing cursor or some other type of prompt conveying to me that I could type in a number, that is not the case, you just highlight the line/value you want to change and type in the number, there isn't a blinking cursor or anything. So I am just dumb.

So I will go back into bios and try to set timings now, I will put AI tweaker to AUTO but only change primary timings and dram voltage and see what that gets me.

Here is what I have done.
AI tweaker left on auto
dram frequency 3200mhz
dram cas latency 16
dram ras to cas delay 18
dram ras act time 38
maximus tweak 1
1.35v

I was confused about what numbers to put in because the ram box says 16-18-18-38 1.35 but there wasn't that many columns in the bios so I enabled xmp, noted what it changed, loaded defaults, and then loaded the xmp values myself.

Next, I happened to notice that my VCCIO seemed high at 1.32v There is an asus OC guide I found (its for kaby lake but people say it works for coffee lake as well) that says VCCIO should be between 1.10-1.25. I changed it to 1.15 in bios.
System agent voltage was auto set to 1.144 which is in the acceptable range so I left it alone.

quick tests of p95 in small fft and blend mode (10min max) show no throttling.
what is a good way to test the memory to make sure its stable, or is it a waste of time at the settings I'm using?

Here is what I have done.
AI tweaker left on auto
dram frequency 3200mhz
dram cas latency 16
dram ras to cas delay 18
dram ras act time 38
maximus tweak 1
1.35v

I was confused about what numbers to put in because the ram box says 16-18-18-38 1.35 but there wasn't that many columns in the bios so I enabled xmp, noted what it changed, loaded defaults, and then loaded the xmp values myself.

Next, I happened to notice that my VCCIO seemed high at 1.32v There is an asus OC guide I found (its for kaby lake but people say it works for coffee lake as well) that says VCCIO should be between 1.10-1.25. I changed it to 1.15 in bios.
System agent voltage was auto set to 1.144 which is in the acceptable range so I left it alone.

quick tests of p95 in small fft and blend mode (10min max) show no throttling.
what is a good way to test the memory to make sure its stable, or is it a waste of time at the settings I'm using?
good stuff! a couple passes on the newest memtest and then game.

1.5hrs of p95 blend and 4 passes of memtest and no issues so I think I am good.

Last edited:
Back