Enable eSATA hotswap on P5E-WS-PRO (Marvell SATA?)

The Real Zardoz

Weaksauce
Hi,

I have the above motherboard - the ASUS P5E WS Professional which uses the Marvell SATA controller for the two additional motherboard ports and two external eSATA ports. The problem lies where I can't safely remove anything on the eSATA as it doesn't come up in Windows as hot swappable...

The controller in BIOS has either an IDE mode or a RAID mode - no AHCI. I find it hard to believe that I can't hot swap on a controller designed for eSATA.

So, is there something I can do or turn on easily?

OS is Server 2003 Enterprise.

i found with 2 eSATA ext enclosures, both would only pick up if they were on when the system was powered on or rebooted, hot swapping didn't work, not sure if this is some limitation of external enclosures....

This isn't an external enclosure drawback - I had these things hotswappable just fine on the ASUS P5B and on my old Tyan K8WE (nForce4 Pro based)

Any update to this problem? i am planning to get this mobo alot of it due to having eSATA but if it isn't hot swappable then it is pointless for me to get it...have you tried updating the bios?

Hi,

Are you after the pro version of the board for the PCI-X? I have bad news....

After tracking down some RAID performance issues, it turns out that damn PCI-X slot is bridged to only an x1 PCI-E lane on the ICH9...

The Marvell chip simply doesn't support AHCI since it does the IDE as well as SATA. A gaping design flaw, but it still works hot-swap sort-of.

Hi,

Are you after the pro version of the board for the PCI-X? I have bad news....

After tracking down some RAID performance issues, it turns out that damn PCI-X slot is bridged to only an x1 PCI-E lane on the ICH9...

The Marvell chip simply doesn't support AHCI since it does the IDE as well as SATA. A gaping design flaw, but it still works hot-swap sort-of.

Oh ic..:eek:....hmmm guess not the board to invest in then....thanks again Zardoz

Back