Emulator Frontend?

KatalDT

2[H]4U
Just wondering if there's a nice, easy emulator frontend for an HTPC on a 47"? Hooking a few XBox 360 controllers to it.

Pretty much all the normal emulators - GameBoy, NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, etc.

But a nice, consolidated front end would be sweet. Just a shortcut on the desktop to a list of all the systems and games.

Thanks!

Why did you link that? I had suppressed that addiction for quite a few years. :) Now off to mess with my old NeoGeo roms in particular the Samurai Showdown series.

use an original xbox or a wii. I recommend the wii. they are emulator beasts.

I tried a few for my system and Hyperspin turned out to be the most impressive. Excellent visuals, needed features and relatively easy to setup. Many of my friends don't care about older games anymore but they were amazed by Hyperspin and actually played some old games.

OG Hyperspin user here. It's the cream of the crop for frontends as it has amazing support, artwork, sounds, easy setup (thanks XML), The only downside IMO is sitting there setting up for every console you want on the platform as that takes time away from playing :p

Oh, and you can boot straight too it as opposed to clicking any icons :)

Yeah, I'm using Hyperspin also. I tried a few different ones over the years but Hyperspin was much easier to tweak and use.

There are audio/video packs available with all of the games, video, artwork,etc all done for you already (try googling the Hyperspin project).

There's a few emulators I never did get around to setting up - but I got most of what I wanted up and running (8bit/16bit era, Atari, Mame, etc). Want to get PS1 up and running at some point if I get around to it.

lol @ GreenMonkey. I'm with you on the not getting certain emulators up and running. It's more than a one day or weekend event to get a emulator setup like you want (scanlines, res, directory stores, controls, etc.) and then it's another getting the Front-end on top of that. Reminds me, my Sega CD collection needs to be added to HS....:)

Hate to add to an old thread but if you use Windows Media Center. I found a plugin for Mediabrowser called gamebrowser. So far it seems to work pretty well with Media Center. Only one I haven't been able to get working right is nullDC.

USE HYPERSPIN I currently have a Arcade machine setup with this as well as a Htpc setup check my Video with it setup using Xbox 360 game pads I can help you set it

Check out this video on YouTube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7lm47_BWO4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from a Rotary Phone

Sent from a Rotary Phone

USE HYPERSPIN I currently have a Arcade machine setup with this as well as a Htpc setup check my Video with it setup using Xbox 360 game pads I can help you set it

Sent from a Rotary Phone

Sent from a Rotary Phone

gimme gimme pm sent. Just a note I meant your config files and what not mentioned in the Video. I'm doing the same thing I agree you did all the work for me. I don't want roms or anything.

Last edited:
I used Maximus frontend for my arcade machine and it's compatible with mediacenter as well.
http://www.maximusarcade.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=41&Itemid=37

Its pretty easy to use and you can customize it to your liking with themes and custom art if you choose. It's 25 bucks but it's worth it in the end, as far as ease of use and compatibility.

Another vote for Maximus Arcade. I just built an emulation setup this weekend and tried GameEx, HyperSpin, and Maximus. Maximus Arcade was by far the easiest to setup and has a very simple interface.

Any of you Hyperspin users with the newer FLV HD movies feel like helping me out with a set? Would happily send enough $$ to cover the cost of dvds, shipping, and a little extra...

i have a set i downloaded in the past, it is like 2tb worth of data.

Maximus won't launch mame for some reason. My mame is way out of date MameUI32_0.132. Can someone recommend a newer distribution? I know there's other distributions besides the main one that support more games.

Looks like a nice setup but exit emulator button on right stick button is a disaster waiting to happen. I like the wireless pads and I would use them myself but xbox pad's dpad is so bad. Maybe there are better wireless pads?

I use Saturn USB pads and arcade sticks with hyperspin. It is pretty awesome and even friends who wouldn't touch older games anymore give them a go.

Ive reached a wall and need some help.

So on the emulator side of things the save/load is mapped to windows keys and not configurable through the gui. I guess my question is either A. How do you guys add save/load to the gamepad if its not a configurable option in the emu or B. is there a way to sort of add a universal gamepad config to all my apps in Maximus Arcade?

Back