• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

EMU 0404 or 1212 users

perplex

Gawd
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
773
Does anyone have either of these EMU soundcards? If so could you post your impressions please and listen your headphones/speakers and/or other equipment such as amplifier? :eek:
 
I own an EMU 1212m and it provides the best quality sound I have ever heard from my computer. It is however the nicest system I have heard so I really have nothing better to compare it to. The drivers leave a little to be desired but are quickly learned and are no longer too annoying after time. Much better comparisons of these two sound cards and other high-end audio equipment can be found by searching through the forums over at head-fi.org. My setup is below.

EMU 1212m (upgraded by Mister X)
Mister X built PPA amp
Sennheiser HD650's
 
There is a lot of feedback on both the EMU1212 and EMU0404 sound cards over at Head-fi.org forums. I've heard many at Head-fi.org who have sampled both card say that the EMU0404 offers a more "punchy sound" and is best suited for pop & mainstream music, whereas the EMU1212 is more "neutral" sounding and is suited better for classical, symphony, synthesizer-based music. Either way, you can't go wrong with these two high-quality sound cards.
 
yeh i surf head-fi often, but i was just wodering if anyone here used either of the cards :rolleyes:
 
I use a EMU 0404 it has been modded. I have used this card with a Pimeta and a PPA2, with Senn. HD 580. The drivers for the EMU are stable. I don't know what you are using the card for? Rec. or Playback, they even have some upgrades for games. I have not had any problems at all with this card. I don't hear any snapp, crackle or pop. :) For most this sound card is great, be a little tuff to hear a difference between 0404 and the 1212 unless you had them side by side.

In my worthless opinion either card is a killer, can't go wrong
 
be a little tuff to hear a difference between 0404 and the 1212 unless you had them side by side.

Even side by side in the same system it's a close call. :p

The 1212m is a little smoother and it has a little more detail.
Plus you don't have to mess with no breakout cables.... but the 0404 is just a little bit punchier.
 
Mister X said:
Even side by side in the same system it's a close call. :p

The 1212m is a little smoother and it has a little more detail.
Plus you don't have to mess with no breakout cables.... but the 0404 is just a little bit punchier.

You've actually listened to both? :confused: if so, thanks, that's a useful impression that i've heard elsewhere too. However, it seems people prefer either and its a matter of taste. I'm not 100% sure if i should listen to both and return the one I didn't like as much :(
 
You've actually listened to both? :confused:

Yes, side by side in the same system at the same time throught the same amp and with the same headphones (the amp has dual switched inputs so A/B testing is a breeze). ;)
 
i haven't listened to the 0404, but i do own a 1212m and i'm very happy with it. it is connected to a meta42 amp and a set of Grado SR-325 headphones. i've never been happier with my sound setup. i also like the patchmix s/w that comes with the EMU cards. With it, i can tweak the sound to suite my taste. :)
 
I own a 0404 because i like all the inputs..

I have a set of Coax digital boston acoustics speakers. I've used creative and integrated cards all the way up to the Audigy 2 and i can honestly say this is the best sounding sound card i've ever bought. Plus i record so that helps in my purchase
 
I own an 0404 and to be honest, I can barely tell the difference between it and the soundstorm digital output I was using before it. I never did an A/B test (lazy) but I'm not sure I'd be able to tell. It's still a good card, but if you already have something that works well, I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade (unless you get a deal or you just have too much money).
 
Hmm, would I still be able to use my onboard audio (ALC850, K8N Neo4) and route my Windows and game sounds through it and use an 0404 for just my music? Will I have conflicts?
 
capncrunch said:
Hmm, would I still be able to use my onboard audio (ALC850, K8N Neo4) and route my Windows and game sounds through it and use an 0404 for just my music? Will I have conflicts?

Should work fine, I can't think of any problems you will have.
 
Eric1285 said:
I own an 0404 and to be honest, I can barely tell the difference between it and the soundstorm digital output I was using before it. I never did an A/B test (lazy) but I'm not sure I'd be able to tell. It's still a good card, but if you already have something that works well, I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade (unless you get a deal or you just have too much money).

maybe your headphones/speakers and/or amplifier isn't up to it? :rolleyes: :p
 
Mister X said:
Maybe you missed the two key words there?



:p


Okay okay, I know you're a stickler on these things.

I meant I couldn't tell a difference between the DAC on the 0404 and the DAC on my Onkyo TX-SR501 Receiver. I was using Soundstorm digital output via coax to the receiver, and now I'm using the analog connections on the 0404. They sound pretty much the same to me.

I'm using Klipsch RB-35 bookshelf speakers and Grado SR-80 cans (unamped for now). Not much difference between the two DAC's no matter what I use to listen.
 
I have an 0404, and it is a huge increase in quality over the Audigy cards, especially when the 0404 has been modded. It does seem to be a "punchy/fun" sounding source compared to some of the top cd players out there (Wadia 861, Meridian G08), which makes it the perfect source for me :D

Rig:
0404 modded by Mister X (output caps removed, opamps swapped with AD8620s), Mister X EMU cables, Mister X PPA (Diamond buffers, OPA627s, Steps), HD600, MS-1, MS-2, HFI-650.
 
Back
Top