Employees at Apple’s New Headquarters Keep Crashing into the Glass Walls

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Form over function strikes again for Apple. Their new headquarters, which comprises large panes of glass, has become a bit of a hazard to its employees, who are generally distracted enough to walk into them. Staff began using Post-It notes to identify glass surfaces but were later asked to take them down.

It’s not the first time Apple’s penchant for glass in buildings has caused problems. In late 2011, 83-year-old Evelyn Paswall walked into the glass wall of an Apple store, breaking her nose. She sued the company, arguing it should have posted a warning on the glass. The suit was settled without any cost to Apple, according to a legal filing in early 2013.

Apple is a toxic place to work, based on all my interactions with their corporate employees and everything I've heard and read. No thank you.

I'm going to be blunt.. I feel zero pity for people walking into walls. We all know damn well it is because they have their stupid faces buried in a phone or tablet.

Sometimes I feel bad for blind people who run into walls. But even then they should really have their arms out at the least feeling around - wall, wall, wall, wait... those are boobs, I think ... let me feel them again.

I'm going to be blunt.. I feel zero pity for people walking into walls. We all know damn well it is because they have their stupid faces buried in a phone or tablet.

I tend to agree, but it's tough to say what kind of visual havoc being surrounded on all sides by 20 panes of glass would create. Most of them probably just aren't paying attention... But having a crapload of glass everywhere can't possibly be helping. If even sticky notes werewer allowed, I'm sure the glass is scrubbed to a mirror finish regularly.

I would think OSHA would step up in this as emergency evacuation would become affected in the event of a fire.

Well if someone brought the apple employees up to speed with windows.

thanks Hoop from bluesnews.com forums

IjHUeOMl.png

I tend to agree, but it's tough to say what kind of visual havoc being surrounded on all sides by 20 panes of glass would create. Most of them probably just aren't paying attention... But having a crapload of glass everywhere can't possibly be helping. If even sticky notes werewer allowed, I'm sure the glass is scrubbed to a mirror finish regularly.

I've been in buildings where you are surrounded on all sides by glass..it really doesn't. People are just distracted. Youtube is full of videos of these morons walking into fountains, in front of cars and off houses.

We had a lady walk into a glass wall where I work - she broke her nose, her phone shattered, and the wall cracked. She was on her phone when it happened...
This wall had a metal base and a top that were made of brushed metal - at least 6 inches each. It even had letters on it to denote the room. It wasn't like it was invisible.

Well, I hope they patent them to deter Samsung or other companies from also using them out io fear of getting sued like with "rounded corners" on their cell phones...

Some people have terrible auto pilots. I can walk with my phone and be ok. There's a learning curve. When you can play tetris and jog(MUCH HARDER THEN IT SOUNDS), then you can use your phone and walk.

I don't recommend it for most, some people can. Many cannot.

Well if someone brought the apple employees up to speed with windows.

thanks Hoop from bluesnews.com forums

Nah, let them struggle a bit whenever they hit a wall. Otherwise Apple won't innovate.

Easy fix. Issue everyone selfie sticks. If they notice that their phone (at the end of the stick) crashes into something and breaks, then they will be aware there is a glass wall there.

In the event a selfie stick is not available, employees should walk around with both arms extended in front of them. Mummy/zombie like.

Helmets. Bike/skate etc. I'd get one of those blacked visor ones and sleep.

Am I the only one who thinks it's quite silly that a woman named "Paswall" tried to do just that and failed?

Surprising phones don't have more Darwin sensors. Walking into glass is one thing, but just think about all the issues Pokemon Go had with users getting hit by cars, walking off cliffs, into rough neighborhoods, etc. Then there are the issues of charging the phone in your bathwater, making it explode in your pocket or next to your head, radiation poisoning, and social media addiction.

Everyone knows the solution to running (into) Windows is Linux..

;)
Even Linux can leave you on thin ice and it's easy to slip up.

I'm laughing at these people, but admittedly I have walked into/through screen doors (both with actual netted screens and glass ones), so I bet my dumb ass would walk into these glass walls too. And no, I was not using a phone during those incidents. I was just blind/unaware. I can't use a phone while doing anything else (walk, drive, take a dump). I have only my stupid eyes to blame. First time I busted through a screen door, I was 6 years old and wearing a Batman costume, running through my friend's house. I didn't seen the netted screen on a door and I jumped right through it, and popped the screen out of the door. It was like I suddenly hit an invisible force field of some kind. When I saw the screen lying on the ground in front of me, I knew what happened. Then I wondered what my friend's parents would say. His pops laughed his ass off when he saw what I did.

Back