Employee Internet usage tracking, reporting and blocking

Tink

Weaksauce
I have been given the task to implement Internet usage tracking with reporting, and website blocking\filtering based on group membership and a black list of some sort. I did the whole google search thing and found lots and lots of products that can do what I want, but to me all I see is marketing and I am hoping I can get some suggestions based on past experience.

Our network is relatively small, 100 workstations, 13 servers, over 5 locations internet going out over a single T1, with T1's connecting our branch locations. \

I would prefer if usage was tracked by the AD username, but if machine name is as good as I can get that is fine, I can always match up time stamps on logs with time stamps on surveilance video.

While we are primarily a Windows shop, I am familiar with Linux and I am open to and would actually prefer an OSS .

Installing a client on each workstation is acceptable assuming it is not a resource hog.

Thanks in advance

We use IPCop with Advanced Proxy and URL Filter.

There is also a SARG plugin for it (but be careful, the damn logs get HUGE)

URLFilter/Advanced proxy can authenticate to a windows domain / LDAP (AD), so you can log who visits what sites, i'd also assume that you can do an "allowed" group as well (we only use it for transparent proxying)

Best of all it is free.

We use WebSense. its commerical, but pretty powerful and flexible. You can filter differently based upon PC IP, user name, or user group. Just make sure that whatever you get will mesh with your existing setup; for example, the Cisco PIX firewall supports WebSense.

I concur with everyone above. There is so much flexiblity with IPCop its rediculous. I feel bad almost snooping on peoples browsing habits and the like with this thing. If your not a real unix guru there is a bit of a learning curve but after a week, getting new modules loaded becomes second nature. Here is a brief list of what it can do.

Traffic status and graphs
System status and graphs
Transparent proxing of webpages, with graphs
Firewall hits
Concurrent connections
DHCP
DYNDNS
Edit host files
time server
traffic shaping
intrustion detection with snort
VPN