• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Empire: Total War

  • Thread starter Deleted member 217897
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 217897

Guest
Anyone play this game?
I'm just starting out, games pretty complex to me as a noob.
Any tips or hints or general [H] guide :D
 
I bought it on release day and put maybe 10 hours into it. Just could not get into it. I have a hard time with games that take such a long process to do things. Probably why I mostly stick to FPS.
 
Are you playing a grand campaign or the "road to Independence"?

I really liked the "Road to Independence" but never got the urge to replay it so I would suggest doing that first, it walks you through everything you need to know then throws you into the game.

I felt like I got ahead more when I pushed for new territory hard at the start. The cpu seems to slack at the beginning and it gives you a good chance to take some territory. Then spend some time getting that territory polished up before moving on to new places.

And its smart to try to get the protectorate mission out of the way asap when playing the grand campaign.
 
Was playing Grand Campaign. Will check out RTI thanks
 
Empire is a good game but too broad. Its actually too big a game to play well.
 
It's on sale on Steam for $7.50 this weekend but I can't for the life of me to figure out whether it's turn based or RTS. Some reviews say it's both.

I hate RTS games, really do. Can I completely avoid the RTS aspect of it and just do it all turn based?
 
Empire is not really such a good Total War release. If you are a big TW fan and need more, then sure. However if you are new to TW then give it a miss. Rome is their very best one, I'd play that first, Medieval 2 is also very good.

As for the RTS aspect yes, you can get rid of that in TW games. The base game is a turn based strategy. However battles can be fought RTS. However if you don't want that, you can have them resolved by statistics. Armies meet, the game decides who did what and tells you the results.

Only thing to note is that competent RTS players can do much better. When I toyed with Rome I'd have a battle that according to the computer resulted in a minor defeat when done by statistics. I'd take command and win an overwhelming victory.
 
Thanks for the feedback, Rome is on sale for $2.50 so I'll just pick that up and give it a go, if I don't like it then that's that.
 
Got to add to this thread - worst Total War Game by a country mile - I was well fed up when I bought this, nearly in the "Great Space Race" area of being a complete waste of money! Not going to buy Shogun until I have played the demo for sure.
 
I enjoyed Empire, though it don't think it was anywhere near as good for its time as Rome or Medieval (Or Medieval II, or the original Shogun) were.

Like most Total War games, the battles got pretty repetitive and the AI could not figure out how to use gunpowder units effectively. (Yes, please charge the center of my line where a couple artillery groups will wipe your charge from existence as grapeshot rips shreds them). Naval battles were a nice addition but didn't quite have the depth to add to the game.

The campaign / TBS side was very good; the little towns and specialty buildings added a lot to region management and the progression from research was very well done.

It is far from my favorite Total War game, but if you're expectations aren't spoiled by previous games you'll enjoy it.

On a side note, Steam has a whole Total War pack (including Shogun II) for $65 this weekend, is Napoleon significantly better than Empire?
I'm somewhat tempted to get it even though I'm spending $15 just to have Medieval II and Rome on steam since I own Empire already; but if Napoleon fixed even half of Empire's problems, it's an obvious buy.
 
Thanks for the feedback, Rome is on sale for $2.50 so I'll just pick that up and give it a go, if I don't like it then that's that.

Is a good choice. Just keep in mind the graphics aren't modern. It came out in 2004. Now the graphics are nice, don't get me wrong, I think they did a great job on the art and the style, just don't get upset that they aren't shiny and new, it is a 6 year old game.
 
I play it. Its a decent game but its the mods that make it really fun. Once you have played through the vanilla try some of the mods for it. You'll discover a whole new ETW lying at your feet.
 
I enjoyed Empire, though it don't think it was anywhere near as good for its time as Rome or Medieval (Or Medieval II, or the original Shogun) were.

Like most Total War games, the battles got pretty repetitive and the AI could not figure out how to use gunpowder units effectively. (Yes, please charge the center of my line where a couple artillery groups will wipe your charge from existence as grapeshot rips shreds them). Naval battles were a nice addition but didn't quite have the depth to add to the game.

The campaign / TBS side was very good; the little towns and specialty buildings added a lot to region management and the progression from research was very well done.

It is far from my favorite Total War game, but if you're expectations aren't spoiled by previous games you'll enjoy it.

On a side note, Steam has a whole Total War pack (including Shogun II) for $65 this weekend, is Napoleon significantly better than Empire?
I'm somewhat tempted to get it even though I'm spending $15 just to have Medieval II and Rome on steam since I own Empire already; but if Napoleon fixed even half of Empire's problems, it's an obvious buy.

I guess it just did my head in that natives were so much stronger than your gunpowder equipped troops to start with - made me want to throw away the guns and start sharpening those spears again :) I could never get the hang of naval combat - I guess that was just me!
 
i liked empire. My computer crashed on the grand campaign was doing 100 years , had about 8 years left and had taken control of all of Europe, except for my allies who were just getting a rude awakening, Had taken Russia, and Persia was elminated but India was putting up a hell of a fight, most of their troops would not route even though i was shooting them up pretty good. The air rifle troops the Austrians have just decimate the enemy but they run out of ammo pretty fast.

I loved the naval battles, sometimes i could outfight a larger force simply by turning my ships in arcs to fire one broadside and then turn to fire the other and back and forth which is a little faster than a full reload.

as for land campaigns, artillery helps a lot. Cannister shot is a lifesaver, just be sure to protect your guns from cavalry, the explosive howitzer shells or gas is pretty effective to. especially vs forts. angle them out of the way of the fortress guns and rain arty on the walls. I like the gas as it does not damage the walls, which is handy if you find yourself defending the area you took.

the square formation works great vs cavalry charges, grenadiers are also very useful, but seems you have to tell them to toss nades, but if you manage them good, when rifle formations are exchanging shots march the grenadiers to the side or back of the enemy line and bomb them, one to two blasts make them route early on in the game.

some countries melee units are easy to kill at distance, but if you let them close, they can chop your infantry to bits. the native archers range is short, but they have a fast rate of fire.


if your trying to take a fort with a smaller force. busting the walls, not ideal but smashing them down where the enemy is manning the wall kills a bit of those units

sometimes you can use cavalry to take out the enemy guns or general. this can be a big advantage early.


if you need money sell naval ships you capture, trade routes are crucial, ivory off of africa is very profitable but be sure to protect your trade ships or routes.

and a simple tactic when at war is to temporarily dock your ships at a enemy port and it knocks it out for a round or two.

when defending towns, leave your militia behind walls or in buildings, if they are charged or take a few hits they tend to break and run causing hell for you. so have some veteran troops mixed in if you can.



i have rome, not played it yet, but bot medievil games are great.
 
Back
Top