emc scaleio free!!

From their marketing materials "Storage and compute resources grow together so balance is maintained!"

That's IMHO the fundamental flaw in all of these hyperconverged offerings. There are probably some niches where storage and compute does grow together, but as a sweeping generalization storage growth far outpaces compute needs in many (most?) environments/industries.

Hyperconverged solves a problem no one has. (Exaggerated for dramatic effect.)

ScaleIO is EMCs attempt at getting dollars from people who don't buy EMC hardware. If you look at the ScaleIO marketing materials you will find a carefully crafted message to subtly inject that ScaleIO is meant for Tier 2 storage.

This is to prevent customers who currently pay for EMC hardware to just buy ScaleIO and run whitebox disk arrays behind it.

It's a decent strategy, Toyota has done with by introducing Scion to get dollars from people who are too poor to buy a Toyota. Whole Foods is now going to do it with some chain that promises the same groceries for less money. However, I like to think that IT folks are on average smarter than Whole Foods shoppers and will see what's happening.

Ultimately it will come down to how ScaleIO competes with Datacore, Atlantis USX, etc., it will be interesting to see for sure.

sounds like scaleio is going to cannibalize both emc hardware and vmware vsan sales

why emc is doing that?

vsan maybe because it doesn't scale well, emc hardware probably not, certainly not on the high end, maybe some of the vnxe stuff but the vmax and isilon will still be around because again, no one wants to get fired for adopting some tech that may or may not work right

This sort of stuff is going for the lower to mid tier markets. Its already building on vblock type functionality. Nothing exciting to see here. I've been apart of vipr meetings on an off for over a year. As much of an EMC fan boy I am, Vipr is a mistake for the environment. Once its in.. its like the roach motel. you don't check out and you can't get out of it.

Biggest operational issue I see with ScaleIO is that reliability has yet to be established. In a couple years when the early adopters have found and fallen to the bugs I'd be comfortable looking at it (if it's still around and relevant) for production workloads.

vsan maybe because it doesn't scale well, emc hardware probably not, certainly not on the high end, maybe some of the vnxe stuff but the vmax and isilon will still be around because again, no one wants to get fired for adopting some tech that may or may not work right

VSAN doesn't scale? Not true. You can argue maturity or what not, but scalability isn't a problem. The amount you can (EASILY!) get out of a single server node is very high. It all depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it. Scalability isn't the problem.

The question SHOULD be, is it better to have a platform specific storage solution? You standardize on X, should use you use something different in an enterprise? I guess that depends on how big and how often it has to happen. You can also argue the ease of changing the node:storage ratio and having to potentially replace drives in the nodes in order to accomplish your goals vs adding another unneeded compute node. I am going to guess the OPEX cost trade offs are shockingly good assuming there isn't a land mine lurking. We add and replace drives ALL the time in the arrays, is it worse if it isn't in a small 2-3 rack foot print? Seems like splitting hairs to me.

I'm not ready to rip and replace with VSAN, but it and other hyperconverged players fit RIGHT into the enterprise market in a perfect way with maturity being the only real concern. The storage capacity isn't really the problem. For the record, we have about 800 hosts and 8000 VMs and we're fully standardized on HDS (moving to 3Par). That said, I'd love to ditch the arrays on our VMware environment. Block storage blows.

EDIT: Worth a read. Lots of PAID misinformation out there... http://chucksblog.emc.com/chucks_blog/2014/04/the-problem-with-storage-swiss-analysis-on-vsan.html

Back