Embarrassed to ask, but

jaygatsby9

Weaksauce
I've had an MSI laptop G73 for about a year. A few weeks ago, the hinge broke off, and I had to have the whole back part holding the screen replaced (not the screen itself). It was much more expensive than one would have thought. I then did some research on the issue, and found it was a common problem with MSI. Now I'm scared to keep opening and closing the lid. Is it OK just to keep the lid open? I use it as my permanent PC, so it's pretty much stationary on my desk. If I have to keep opening and closing the lid, any thoughts on how to do that without it breaking again? As long as I'm asking silly questions, I've been using sleep mode when I close the lid. Should I just shut it off? Thanks.

There's no reason you can't leave it open. Think about desktops, we don't close them up when we stop using them. A laptop is no different. The main reason they fold up is for portability. My dad uses a Surface with the keyboard and never closes it when he finishes using it -- only if it has to be transported somewhere does he close it.
There should be a way to disable sleep on close, in fact probably you can enable it to sleep on a timer when left open.

I've had an MSI laptop G73 for about a year. A few weeks ago, the hinge broke off, and I had to have the whole back part holding the screen replaced (not the screen itself). It was much more expensive than one would have thought. I then did some research on the issue, and found it was a common problem with MSI. Now I'm scared to keep opening and closing the lid. Is it OK just to keep the lid open? I use it as my permanent PC, so it's pretty much stationary on my desk. If I have to keep opening and closing the lid, any thoughts on how to do that without it breaking again? As long as I'm asking silly questions, I've been using sleep mode when I close the lid. Should I just shut it off? Thanks.
If you're just using it as a desktop replacement, there's no reason you can't just leave the lid open permanently. As for it sleeping, just adjust your Power settings in Windows to go to sleep after 5, 10 minutes of inactivity.

I have a Clevo from ~2011 that's only had its screen closer a few times and it still works fine.

I leave mine open all the time. I can press ⊞+L any time to lock the laptop without closing the lid and it should go to sleep a few seconds after, depending on settings. Quicker than pressing start->shutdown->lock

It really doesn't matter if the screen/lid is open or closed. I've had customers who cracked their laptop screen, and I basically converted it to be used as a desktop for them with an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse while the laptop with the cracked screen (screen disabled at that point) just sits somewhere. Sleep and other power saving modes can operate on a timer, just as they would with a desktop computer, and are not dependent on closing the lid.

Back