Email Encryption Q

dvsman

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 2, 2009
Messages
3,628
Hey fellas,

So I got my hands on my old office Xerox printer / copier thing (for free!) and have been playing around with it and have a q? I hope one of you guys can answer.

The feature I normally use is scanning paper docs to email (vs faxing) and one of the options in the menu - which I've never used before - is for the outgoing email to be encrypted using AES256 or 3DES.

I'm curious what exactly that does and how does it work? Do I need to have another similar machine on the receiving end with similar capabilities? Or would the recipients email client (say on a PC) be able to figure it out?

Normally, crypto requires a key to decode on the receiving end right?

Thanks!
 
Would need to know the model of the device in question to determine how it's implemented. It could be as simple as scanning it to a PDF and password protecting it then you would need that password to open the attachment. It really varies.
 
Maybe SSL outbound mail vs port 25? Your correct in that the printer would have to run a service available to manage the keys to decrypt the scans.
 
Back
Top