Email and proxy (linux based)

Rajin

n00b
Hello all,

I have a question. I setup AXIGEN on ubuntu server 6.10. I have POP3S running. On a seperate ubuntu server 6.10 box, I have squid running as a proxy. I need to run the email server through a proxy (linux based). How can I go about doing this, is there someway with squid? I am willing to change the proxy server if need be. Or try another method.

Thanks,

Raj

What are you trying to accomplish with the email proxy? Are you trying to do spam filtering?

I'm trying to get it setup so when a user goes to access their email, if you did a network analyze of the session, youd see the source address come from the proxy box instead of the mail box. no spam filtering, if I wanted I could use spam assassin, but for now this is an in lab test.

How are they accessing the mail server? HTTP, POP3, IMAP? What would the benifit be in masking incoming traffic to the mail server? You will impair your logging if you set up something like this because the mail server will think everything is coming from the same IP.

What you are referring to is a reverse proxy. The first thing that comes to mind as a solution is ISA Server.

it would be POP3S (Secure POP3; port 995). This has to be a linux solution though. I understand that it will impair log issues, but again this is in lab at the moment, we are just trying to get the email server to go through the proxy server.

Thanks,

Raj

You could, in theory, take any of the Linux firewalls like Endain, IPCop, etc, and reverse the internal and external network interfaces. This would create a basic reverse proxy. These solutions use IPTables for the firewall functions. If you learn IP Tables, then you could create your own customized solution. Maybe this will help:

http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html

thanks very much for the reference link, has more information then some of the IPtable documents I have on hand. I think this is what I will end up doing though. Although I will look at the possibility of your earlier suggestion of the application firewalls.

again thanks.

-Raj

Back