eMachines refurb quality and RMA problem

00 scrub

n00b
I bought a M6810 back in Sep. and the cd drive never really worked. I could boot from it using the restore CD but it wouldn't read CD's in Windows unless I freshly installed Windows. If I rebooted after installing Windows it would always tell me the CD-Drive was empty. I've sent the computer(pretty much useless) back 3 times for an RMA and each time they have not fixed the problem. I just got it back for the 3rd time and they told me to call the Corporate office. Thy told me they could give me a refurbed M6810 or newer model (anyone know when the newer is coming out). I'm not relaly liking the idea of having a refurbed computer when this thing should be brand new. After all it never worked from the outset. What kind of quality should I expect with the refurbed emachines computer? It kind of upsets me that I payed full price and had to deal with them for 3 months in order to get a used computer. ANyone have comments on either hwo to fix the problem or the refurb issue?
Thanks

try replacingf the cd drive. I also bought an emachines desktop last year. The software that they bundle has quirks I was restoring once and it would freeze up at the connections part of setup. Then I realized that I had removed the 56k card because I have high speed. I called up tech support and they couldn't tell me anything. I put the card in while I was on hold for half an hour and when the guy picked up I had just rebooted and that fixed it I told him and it was like I dropped a bomb you did what? It fixed it. That shouldn't happen . Well I've added that as a possible fix in our records thank you for your time. click you have to be kidding me. I found emachines to be good computers as long as you don't mess with them as for refurb quality I would get the upgrade sell it on ebay if you don't like it and buy somtin else

yeah... buy an emachines and you get pretty much what you pay for... their tech support understands english (unlike Toshiba's... you have to speak really slowly and clearly with them) but it's laughable... after having some problems with a 32 bit program, i called them.

spent a half hour wading through recorded messages to get to a real person who told me that my program was apparently 16 bit (which is bs) and that windows xp was 64 bit (ha- this was at least 6mo. ago and we are still waiting on a win 64-bit edition!)

to top it all off... my monitor is starting to flicker (meaning it's a year old and already dying)

so... as i said, you get pretty much what you pay for: a cheap comp that actually performs well on basically two things: office work and being nice to your wallet.

they have replaced the cd-drive 3 times. Everything else about the computer works fine.

i have my m6811 and i love it, only thing it suffers from is the cracked hinge issue witch doesnt bother me. and supposidly the rma process for it is cake

The RMA process is very easy and the tech support is great. It would be nice if they fixed the problem before they sent it out though. Anyone here had a refurbed machine from them?

Back