eMachines M6805 Hard drive

pchs

n00b
I need advice on a replacement hard drive for my m6805. I have found a number of drives but I am not sure what I need. I know it would not be an SATA drive, but I am confused about the ata-6, ata150 and I think pata (?) as far as what type drive I actually need. I want at least a 120-gig drive to double the space of the original drive. Not sure if there will be much diff getting a 7200 spin over the 5400. Each will be an upgrade over the 4200 spin (?) factory drive. Another consideration for me will be the 8 or 16 Meg cache. I have found a 7200 spin with 16 cache that could be a nice choice. Anyone that could simply tell me the proper ata connection type would be appreciated. Any other comments or informative opinion is welcome.

Any of the ATA drives will work (Newegg's list, for example)

I upgraded from the 80GB 4200RPM drive to a 120GB 5400RPM drive in my m6809 and, subjectively, it seems a bit better. You shouldn't have any heat issues with a 7200RPM drive, and the more cache the better. But personally, I'd spend as little as you can, since it is an older computer and the benefits aren't too spectacular.

Thank you for the information iamjuliespiano! You make an excellent point about the laptop being an older model. There is probably no need to seek out the absolute best hard drive as a replacement.

Back