eMachines eOne - iMac G3 look-a-like

we had those at radio shack back in the day, sold for about $800CAN...

I like this one better the "official" version. This had better IO (at the time it was made) options and a PCMCIA (now PCCARD and now dead standard except for the CableCard form factor which those evil cable companies are also trying to make a dead standard) slot for even more options.

Setup the Token Ring PCMCIA network card on one of these things brought into my college campus around 2000. It was a celeron, so performance wasn't a problem.

Lafayette College didn't upgrade to Ethernet switches until after I graduated in 2001, but it was a massive Gigabit backbone. Unfortunately, nobody told them about thee plan to make Gigabit work over RJ-45, so they bought into this shit:

https://secure3.sequoiars.com/ePOS/form=robots/item.html&item_number=W45410&store=464&design=mbl

Ever seen an Ethernet cable this stupid looking?

W45410-alt1.jpg

Looks like they still have this shit installed in over half the campus, and since they bought into a dead standard, they get to keep some factory line open making these things!

Last edited:
Reactions: Halon
like this
Setup the Token Ring PCMCIA network card on one of these things brought into my college campus around 2000. It was a celeron, so performance wasn't a problem.

Lafayette College didn't upgrade to Ethernet switches until after I graduated in 2001, but it was a massive Gigabit backbone. Unfortunately, nobody told them about thee plan to make Gigabit work over RJ-45, so they bought into this shit:

https://secure3.sequoiars.com/ePOS/form=robots/item.html&item_number=W45410&store=464&design=mbl

Ever seen an Ethernet cable this stupid looking?

View attachment 257332

Looks like they still have this shit installed in over half the campus, and since they bought into a dead standard, they get to keep some factory line open making these things!

looks like 2 USB cables pancaked together.

looks like 2 USB cables pancaked together.

Yeah it does. How does that work? I assume it is A USB device or is it something else? Token ring were those cables with the BNC connectors correct? or am I thinking of another standard?

Yeah it does. How does that work? I assume it is A USB device or is it something else? Token ring were those cables with the BNC connectors correct? or am I thinking of another standard?
10Base2 Ethernet used thin coaxial cable with BNC connectors.

View attachment 257414

Here's the legacy IBM Token Ring connector I'm familiar with. Supported those when I worked desktop support in college.

Right, that is what they used to connect all their campus to the Internets until 2002, when they upgraded to Cat 5e. But when they did the drops to each doom room, they installed those shitty connectors, instead of RL-45.

I knew the head tech st the time, and the excuse he gave me was "RJ-45 is not currently certified for Gigabit, so we're going with All Lan" And then it was months later :rolleyes:

So, ,for being slightly early, they got saddled with dead connector. It's so dead, I can't find the pin-out on The Googles, only the required adapter on their store!

Meanwhile,my Gigabit home network is using the same 50-foot Cat5e cables we made back in 2003 to wire up an ancient rental house for Fast Ethernet networking - totally incompatible, they said! And if I want to, I could upgrade it to 2.5G.

Last edited:
Back