Emachine laptop won't accept WinXP Pro.

redhalo

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, need the assistance of someone more knowledgable than I. There's this case over at the Quakecon forums with someone trying to install Windows XP Pro on an E-machines laptop. It previously had XP Home, but now it's telling him that the hardware drivers on the restore disk specifically will not work with XP Pro. Correct me if i'm wrong but for driver issues they're the same OS. How can he get around this? Has anyone had a similar issue?

Original thread.

Miko Wilson: So what you're saying is, is that there is NO way I can get drivers for the NEWEST laptop that you sell. For the most popular operating system in the WORLD.
Arthur: In a matter of speaking
Miko Wilson: I'm so glad I bought this POS
Arthur: Emachines is glad as well, is there anything else we can help you with?
Miko Wilson: You can burn down your office building and save me the trip
Arthur: Have a good day sir.

That's classic shit right there, lol.

rotflmoa!!!!!!!! That's why it's called "E Machines", you get what you pay for.

Gotta laugh at that one but I can't say dell has given me better support on my 600m.

Can anyone at least confirm I'm not a moron in thinking that drivers running in XP Home should have no reason to not run in XP Pro?

redhalo said:
Can anyone at least confirm I'm not a moron in thinking that drivers running in XP Home should have no reason to not run in XP Pro?

XP is XP. I don't recall EVER having to select home or pro for a driver version! :p

Those laptops actually were a great deal, and it sucks that Gateway dumbed them down and then canceled them completely. You do get what you pay for, and though its a bargain they were still a great deal. If he really wanted Pro he should have bought a laptop with it. That or googled and found the millions of resources of people installing Pro and linking to the drivers. :p Which model does he have? I think we even have several threads here dealing with this. Also try www.notebookforums.com.

I have an m6811 happily running windows xp pro here. The drivers off the cd and upgraded drivers work fine.. Don't know what he's smoking.

If they were kind enough to load it for him, tell him to try searching the I386 folder on the hard drive instead of the cd.

Back