Elpida good ?

Serville

n00b
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
15
Is Elpida RAM a good reliable brand ?
I always have a feeling that it has lower quality DRAM module compared to other popular brandname like Hynix or Samsung.
I don't exactly know why it always gives me a bad impression.
Maybe because I dont see a lot of them like Hynix/Samsung ?
Maybe because I see a pattern that it's usually used in cheap VGA DRAM module ?
Do I have any reason to say it's not as reliable as Hynix/Samsung ?
 
according to this Elpida has merged with some big names and more recently (2010) Kinston has purchased a large amount of stock from them, but even more recently (02/27/2012) they filed for bankruptcy, so their ram may not carry a warranty anymore.

IMO their ram is probably just as good as anyone else's, but without confirmation on whether or not i'd have warranty on my ram i probably wouldn't buy any.
 
Keep in mind that Elpida ICs has been used by many of the major manufacturers in a variety of the 2x2GB high performance ram and they are the ones that will be providing the warranty on the ram, not Elpida. G.Skill, Mushkin and Corsair, to name a few have used Elpida Hypers (MNH-E & MGH-E) in their top-of-the-line products. The Elpida BBSE-DJ-F based stuff also was binned and used on high-end products so when it comes to DDR3, this stuff is top tier.

However, Hynix (BFR-H9C) and Samsung (HCH9 and HYKO), along with the newer 30nm Micron (D9PFJ) based stuff from Crucial will be the best choices if looking for 2x4GB modules.
 
Last edited:
How can Elpida be bad when it's a real chip manufacturer, as opposed to a company that merely solders chips to circuit boards or slices up wafers? Elpida is NEC + Hitachi + Mitsubishi.

I get a bad impression when no real chip company can be identified from the DRAM chips.
 
its as good as any other mfgr. Been using it in my lappys for years.... neveranottaproblemo :eek:
 
Its all the same crap. Some crap goes faster then other crap, some crap breaks apart. All and all, I've seen ram from every manufacturer go bad. If it has a warranty, who cares what name is on the crap?
 
Back
Top