Elementry OS vs mint 17.1

Dosobye

Limp Gawd
I am thinking of dual booting windows 7 and one of those two(unless you have a much better suggestion) linux distros. Which one would be nicer of the two? I am a new user and not really interested in getting into the nitty gritty. Just looking of someplace that comes with good basic apps and I can easily install more from some kind of appstore. Also that has a lot of drivers built in for my current socket AM3, 785g and future upgrade to skylake

Thank you!

Elementary OS looks good but last time I tried it there were annoying problems with something I can't recall now. I wanted to like it very much but in the end I chose to migrate to another distro. I ended up using Fedora.

I might give the new Mint a go though.

I looked at Elementary OS a while back, and while it looked great (probably the most coherent system "control panel" next to OS X), I couldn't get on board with some of their philosophies. No minimize button? Apps should just retain their state, close, and reopen instead? Seemed like a (not so good) solution in search of a problem to me. At the time it seemed like they still had some work to do, that was at least a year ago though, probably more.

I like the idea of Mint. My first experience with Linux was Debian. Then Ubuntu, cause as much fun as it was manually setting up Xorg, I really didn't want to. Not really sure about the some of the ways things have been headed with Ubuntu the last few years, so Mint is a great alternative.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with any mature distro these days for a basic web surfing box. They will all do things slightly different, but they're all pretty much going to have apps to cover all the basics. Make a few live USB sticks and try them out. Nothing to loose but time.

Back