Electronic Components??

doanster

Limp Gawd
To all you electricians here...
where is a good place online to find electronic components?

i'm looking for capacitors, switches, transistors, phone jacks, cases, diodes, etc etc to build me a microphone amp :)

Those above +

Arrow, Newark...

Depends what I need, and what they carry... and If they'll send me Engineering samples too...

MD_Willington said:
Those above +

Arrow, Newark...

Depends what I need, and what they carry... and If they'll send me Engineering samples too...

I most definitely need "engineering samples" :cool:

You can even get parts from radio shack, local electronics stores, real ones, not ones like best buy. Local HAM radio stores.

defakto said:
You can even get parts from radio shack, local electronics stores, real ones, not ones like best buy. Local HAM radio stores.

Radio shack has unreasonably high prices, and unfortunately for me, there are very few electronics stores here in my sub-1 million population city :(

You'd be suprised how many stores are in your area. The area I live in is just over 200k population and I know of at *least* 5-6 stores that have parts on hand.

Anyone else miss Heathkit?

Man, I sure do.

And the OLD, real RadioShack. Not the china-toy pushing crap-store's they have become.

-Larry

TechLarry said:
And the OLD, real RadioShack. Not the china-toy pushing crap-store's they have become.

-Larry

Touche!

(nothing wrong with China though haha)

doanster said:
I most definitely need "engineering samples" :cool:
Don't abuse any semiconductor company's sample service.

Doing so makes just life difficult for people like myself, with a legitimate need to evaluate a part before I order a $5K reel of them.

gee said:
Don't abuse any semiconductor company's sample service.

Doing so makes just life difficult for people like myself, with a legitimate need to evaluate a part before I order a $5K reel of them.

I was only kidding... hence the " :cool: "

No I don't abuse those things - the components are usually not that expensive anyways and I hate dishonesty in buying/selling :)

Here are two stores that deal in surplus/overstock electronics. I have dealt with both, mostly in store, and they are reputable.

http://www.allelectronics.com/

http://www.apexelectronic.com/

Apex has so much stuff, if you ever get the chance to visit, it's an inventors dream. Lots of old stuff and great prices. So much stuff it's hard to get around the store. Floor to ceiling (18 feet I think) and packed in the aisles too. The scrap yard has a lot of aluminun scrap.

All Electronics is also worth a visit, as the store has stuff that's not cataloged/on-line. Another great place for low prices.

How does the "engineering samples" thing work?
The last time I bought from mouser I spent $15 for 5 caps...
>_< $10 shipping for 5 frikkin capacitors.

At that time, I didn't have a small list of components I wanted... at least I do now... but still.

Engineering samples... Well, generally you email/submit an order to the company that's making the IC (Like Texas Instruments). Make up some lie about you being a Teacher's Assistant for your *insertLocalUniversityHere's* electrical engineering class. Say that you need 1 or 2 of a specific IC, and tell them you'll buy lots more for the class, if they meet your expectations. Now, they may or may not, mail them to you.

It usually only works with larger companies, on IC orders. I've never gotten anything like this for normal parts (resisters, caps... unless they're super good versions like Wire wound heat sunk resistors, or pulse caps etc.).

NOTE, this is DISHONEST, so um, if you do this, you *will* burn in hell, and all the usual things. PS, I'll see you there :p

If anyone is around the KC area, definitely check out eskc at 41st and main. I love that place. Great selection and decent prices. You can also do web orders, but in that case, digikey or mouser or someone is usually better.

i get most of my components i need a lot of on ebay. sometimes you can get good deals.
i only special order from digi key things like quality large capacitors, connectors and chips i cant find.

usually i order more than what i need because i like to stock up my parts bins. its nice to have parts you need for experimenting and small projects. and the parts are usually so small the postage is very cheap as well.

jpmkm said:
If anyone is around the KC area, definitely check out eskc at 41st and main. I love that place. Great selection and decent prices. You can also do web orders, but in that case, digikey or mouser or someone is usually better.

Thanks a ton, I live outside of KC and was looking for a good electronics store, nothing I have found thus far has what I am looking for. Or rather I don't know what it is called, so it is hard to find. I don't want to order online since I can't hold it and make sure I am not wasting my time/money.

We have a great place here in Cleveland, Electronic Surplus. They have everything you can think of, their store is amazing.
Jeff

jpmkm said:

whoa... sweet, that's only like 10 minutes from me too :eek: :cool:

One useful website that no one has mentioned yet:

FindChips

Searches a couple dozen component distributors at once... very useful when looking for parts that are not too common as well as quickly cross-checking prices on common parts.

as other people mentioned.. the best in my opinon is

mouser,digikey, jameco..

with mouser and digikey being hte better ones.. they have a HUGE inventory...

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
with mouser and digikey being hte better ones.. they have a HUGE inventory...
In my opinion, Digikey is much better than Mouser for finding the parts you need (very effective hierarchical search). Prices are flip flop. I made one order from mouser, and they started sending me their catalog. Yes, the one that's about the size of a phone book. The dead-tree version is much easier to use than the online version, although the online catalog is pretty good anyway.

Back