Electrical question

mrmylanman

[H]ard|Gawd
I am not so sure this is in the right forum, but I don't know where to put it.

I am running into a problem with my house (I am currently living at my grandparents' house) where the wiring is kinda shoddy (for example no plugs are grounded because the house is really old), and when I tried to get my overclock going, it just kept tripping my battery backup upon load. The backup provides sufficient power to keep it running, however I was worried about that.

Right now everything is at stock clock speeds, and that works fine, but I was wondering what the problem may be. The circuit breaker doesn't trip, just that the battery backup acts like the power went out. This issue started happening when I upped the Vcore to 1.31V.

Anyone have any ideas? I want to buy some more video cards for folding, but if power is starting to be a problem that is probably not going to be possible.

I am not so sure this is in the right forum, but I don't know where to put it.

I am running into a problem with my house (I am currently living at my grandparents' house) where the wiring is kinda shoddy (for example no plugs are grounded because the house is really old), and when I tried to get my overclock going, it just kept tripping my battery backup upon load. The backup provides sufficient power to keep it running, however I was worried about that.

Right now everything is at stock clock speeds, and that works fine, but I was wondering what the problem may be. The circuit breaker doesn't trip, just that the battery backup acts like the power went out. This issue started happening when I upped the Vcore to 1.31V.

Anyone have any ideas? I want to buy some more video cards for folding, but if power is starting to be a problem that is probably not going to be possible.

it may not be tripping the breaker but its possible its not supplying enough power to handle the extra load on the plug.. or its because the plug isnt grounded.. should be able to buy a cheap plug and ground the plug yourself and see if that helps.. or check and see if there is a ground hookup on the plug and do it your self.. you just need to buy the wire for it and ground the plug to the box that the plugs in..

If you don't have stable electrical network there and old wires, try to measure current and voltage during OC if it is stable.

It is recommended and sometimes absolutely required to run computer equipment including UPSs on a grounded outlet. An ungrounded outlet pretty much renders an UPS useless when it comes to protecting against surges. It may also mess with its general functioning depending on the quality of the UPS.

I gotcha. I am going to ground the outlet some day this week. There is a ground actually right outside of my window and since it's a raised wooden old house it'd be easiest to drill a hole through the wall to the outlet and just run the ground there I guess. It is there because there was a big aerial antenna before they got cable.

I gotcha. I am going to ground the outlet some day this week. There is a ground actually right outside of my window and since it's a raised wooden old house it'd be easiest to drill a hole through the wall to the outlet and just run the ground there I guess. It is there because there was a big aerial antenna before they got cable.

Not a bad idea, if it's one of those grounding wires to deal with lightning strikes it should be overkill for your purposes :)

Personally I have mostly used radiators of the central heating to add grounding, but then again drilling through the external walls of the brick/concrete houses here is an exercise in frustration :p

Not a bad idea, if it's one of those grounding wires to deal with lightning strikes it should be overkill for your purposes :)

Personally I have mostly used radiators of the central heating to add grounding, but then again drilling through the external walls of the brick/concrete houses here is an exercise in frustration :p

Haha yeah I hear ya. This house is all wooden and running wires through the walls is an exercise in frustration :-P.

Back