Electric noise coming from pc until it gets warm (30minutes)

HiCZoK

Gawd
Hi huys. I got new pc recently and when I start it up after a night cooldown, it does this typical electric crackling noise. The one that You can hear when moving a mouse on desktop with left button clicked (dragging select box), watching Youtube etc. It even amplify the hdd work and proceeds it as that electric noise from pc.
It goes awat after like 20-30 minutes but there is still a tiny bit of whinning remaining after that. But not nearly as much as when pc is cold.

I have 2500k clocked to 4,2 with 1,28vcore (-0,07v offset)
asrock p67 pro3 witn newest bios
kingston 1333mhz 2x4gb blu
gigabyte 7870 windforce 3.
Corsair gs 600w psu
1tb + 500gb wd hdd's (sata)
one dvd burner (sata)

I also got a new case, thinking the old one wasnt shielding enough. Fractal 3000. It is fantastic case and shield everything for headphone and speakers listening (before I could hear my wifi in speakers and internals in headphones).

any ideas ? It is rather hard to locate the source. Any whereabouts ?

Sounds like the CPU power state transitions are somehow being rendered audible. Could be crap onboard audio allowing it to bleed out over the speakers -- unplug them to test. Otherwise, I'd think it's coil whine from the motherboard's power section. If so, I'd RMA it, though I suppose you could disable CPU sleep states, if you're not the one paying the power bill.

no no.

It is not coming from speakers. it comes from the case.
Speakers/ headphones sound is clear.

so what to disable to test?
c3/c6 ? I don't know much about it. only changed voltage to offset -0,07 and multiplier, when ocing to 4,2

Clock it down to stock speeds and see if it still does it. Disable C-states, Turbo Boost -- or any clock speed adjustments, for that matter.

reverted to default and even disabled c3 and c6. The noise is still there. Also - touched every coile (or whatever) with a pencil an nothing. Maybe it is gpu or psu then

Pull the GPU and test with integrated graphics.

Doubt it's the PSU; the motherboard power section should buffer it enough that it shouldn't react that fast. Could be wrong, though, I suppose.

Also - touched every coil (or whatever) with a pencil an nothing. Maybe it is gpu or psu then
Which end of the pencil? The eraser end dampens more, and you have to push a bit firmly.

Are you sure it's not a fan? Try stopping fans momentarily, but don't do this with the power supply fan because there's exposed high voltage just beyond it. Also don't use anything hard because it could chip, dent, or even break off a fan blade. A plastic straw is good for this -- tough, soft, and an electrical insulator. And don't stop any fan too long or a device can burn up, especially a graphics card.

Can you test with a low power graphics card, even an ancient PCI card? But some won't work with modern mobos. If substituting a low power graphics card helps, and you're 100% sure there original card wasn't making the noise, then there could be a power supply problem because its switching duty cycle changes with load.

dont have any other gpu to test.

yeah I was stopping the fans. none of them.

eraser end but I was only touching those. I think I will pass on the problems if it is not anything dangerous..

You could also muffle different parts of your computer to try to discern the area of the source... not sure what you would use though... it sounds like the PSU to me. That's the only part I can imagine has enough electrical activity to warrant electric noise. To test, you could try to unseat your PSU, turn on the computer, and wrap it in a blanket to muffle it after you turn it on.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Back