Elder Scrolls VI Release Date: Gameplay Locations and Infinitely Playable like Skyrim Features

Skyrim is a great example of a single player computer based RPG. As it is not ran by an AI not everything is fluid but a LOT actually is. Agency is given heck you can even choose where to have a home or even have many if you work at it. Your adventures are yours alone and how you approach solving them is up to you within a limited number of options.

I'm looking forward to the next elder scrolls game as I have enjoyed every previous one. And arguably Bethesda is one of the last remaining studio's making great cRPG's.

Neither are done yet. And Skyblvion is way closer to finished than the Morrowind one is.

So I installed some other Morrowind mod?

I did it thru Nexus so it's there if you want to look for yourself.

I'm a big western RPG fan, but I couldn't get past the RPG system in Oblivion(and it appears the whole series is like this), where you earn your skills by doing, which kind of screwed my character, and all the things I read about fixing it, involved dumb stuff like jumping/running endlessly to earn skill points, or parking your character "hiding" behind a wall for an hour while you go watch TV.

I will never play an RPG with this kind of learn by doing grind again.

I'm a big western RPG fan, but I couldn't get past the RPG system in Oblivion(and it appears the whole series is like this), where you earn your skills by doing, which kind of screwed my character, and all the things I read about fixing it, involved dumb stuff like jumping/running endlessly to earn skill points, or parking your character "hiding" behind a wall for an hour while you go watch TV.

I mean it MAKES SENSE right? I think it just needs to be scaled back. Like you aren't going to spend years developing your archery skills as you would IRL, but the concept I like.

You missed the boat. Doing wasn't the ONLY way to level a skill. It made investing your skill points you did earn more effective if that is what you were doing, but you could... throw around spells of type x all day long then invest your skills in... I don't know... carpentry if you wanted. Sure it would only go up a little... but once you started using carpentry you could really level that up fast to make the best... toilet seat? Whatever you get my point.

You missed the boat. Doing wasn't the ONLY way to level a skill. It made investing your skill points you did earn more effective if that is what you were doing, but you could... throw around spells of type x all day long then invest your skills in... I don't know... carpentry if you wanted. Sure it would only go up a little... but once you started using carpentry you could really level that up fast to make the best... toilet seat? Whatever you get my point.

From my memory, after your initial designations, skills only leveled by doing. You could choose which ability(Strenght, Dex, etc) to increase associated with the skills you leveled.

It's been a while.While I may not remember the fine points, I do remember learning all the ins and outs, then, and it was royal pain in the ass.

I remember the ONLY way to really boost my stealth, was by doing stealth, and since it only counted if you stealthed near people, you plateaued quite low without a massive effort. Like doing lame things like hiding behind something and parking your character and then going to watch TV.

Some skill OTOH leveled all the time. Like one of them increased just by running around. This was the other side of the coin, you couldn't STOP those skills from leveling even if you wanted to, and for some reason that could be problematic as well.

Skill learning by doing sucks, and it seemed to me that this is what Oblivion was all about.

So, You are losing me here. I've made many Skyrim characters along different "themes" and I just play the game and use what I want my character to use and he gets better at what he's doing as he goes along. Yes, there are people who do the silly things you are talking about in order to speed up the progress because they want an instant character now. For those people I have only one thing to say ...... "Console Commands Dude, Console Commands".

All anyone has to do is play, the rest comes as you do and that's about as good as it gets. If someone gets a wild hair up their ass to take short cuts, that's on them and it's by their own choice, You don't have to do that shit, You just can do that shit.

As for the grind, it's not a grind at all. Hell, ask me it's not any different really then gaining experience levels and putting points into Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, Constitution, etc ..... RPG, it really only seems different.

Back