Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

So I feel like I'm in bizarro world right now. I'm typically the guy on the forum complaining about all the little nuances of PC gaming but... I'm just not seeing it with Skyrim. I haven't done any of the tweaks yet and I've only just finished the opening sequence and I have to say that I have had no major issues with anything yet.

The mouse control. It is not perfect, but I haven't disabled vsync or acceleration in the ini files yet. That said, it is PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE for this kind of game in its default state. The x-y imbalance never manifested itself badly enough to fuck me up (and I rarely even noticed it) and the input lag from vsync is not very bad. The acceleration is minor. You want bad mouse acceleration? Go play Bioshock or Assassin's Creed 2 or Brotherhood on PC. THAT is bad mouse acceleration. The only time I had issue with it was when my framerate ate dogshit while looking at lights indoors, but this is a performance problem, not a mouse problem.

The menus. I read a bunch of people saying that you couldn't operate the menus with the mouse. Those people are all going to hell for lying because I can operate the menus perfectly fine with the mouse. They actually seem to work quite well for me so far. The favoriting system allows you to bind items to the number keys and while it might be nice to be able to bind like a sword and shield to 1 and a double magicka spell to 2, it's still fairly easy to setup and intuitive to use. And this was just from 30 seconds of messing with it. The menus are not perfect, but they function just fine.

You can adjust your FOV, you can improve the visuals through ini tweaks and an ingame console, things seem pretty kosher to me as far as PC games go thus far. It isn't perfect, but there are far more abominably worse console ports than this. I didn't even feel the need to fix any of this stuff, but I'm going to do it anyway since its at my disposal.

FYI unless I'm missing something it does not support eyefinity. I'll wait for a widescreen fix.

Not yet, trying to get a feel for the 'out-of-box' experience first.

That makes sense, makes it easier for you to do a honest evaluation from the perspective of someone who doesn't know how to tweak it.

Or rather, if not that, then how much tweaking you can expect to make it a playable PC-oriented experience.

Bleh, framerates aren't very good at ultra settings at 2560x1600 right now... Looks like I'll call it a night and hopefully AMD will have a CFX profile out asap... kind of disappointed but not really surprised.

Anyone else finding it hard to make a character (nord at least) that looks like they are actually young? (20'ish something).

No matter what I do I can't seem to make a cahracter that doesn't look like some old geezer who's been living in a ditch his whole life.

Anyone else having problems getting it to run? I can start a new game, but as soon as it tries to switch from that dragon to the initial cutscene, the video locks up. I still get sound (you can hear the horse walking and all) but the video never switches over and I have to alt-tab out and end the process. Tried the sound fix posted elsewhere, but didn't fix my problems.

Edit: Turned out to be the forced "Enhance the application" AA setting in the Nvidia control panel. Switched it to Application Controlled and off I go.

Last edited:
Goddamn this game is awesome.

I'm playing through the first time as nature intended: a goddamn viking.

2yfFu.jpg

Last edited:
Not yet, trying to get a feel for the 'out-of-box' experience first.

Yeah, my 'out-of-box' experience was utter shit until I disabled vsync and turned off mouse acceleration.

I still don't understand why those settings are set that way for release knowing it completely fucks up PC gamers. It's not even a matter of consolizaton here, it's a matter of 20 seconds to set 2 or 3 lines in the settings file to a different default...

Outside of that though, I'm loving Skyrim so far.,,

love the zombie spell, fear my zombie rabbit & chicken!!!

When i killed my first chicken the game set up two messages for increased bounty for attacking and killing the chicken, and then removed the bounty because the only witness (the chicken) was no longer alive. A bit goofy, but a huge improvement over old TES games.

I've only played for about a good hour but it's pretty fucking awesome. They did an amazing job so far with immersion. Sure there are some rough edges but jesus it looks a LOT better than I thought based on screens and the movies that were released... I loved the way the intro opened.. I'm not sure why but it just felt... good. A lot like morrowind.

The game runs... good. quite good.. but it's a bit weird.. it ran better outdoors for me at 2560 on my 470 than indoors... I backed down the rez to 1920x1200 and I've got everything maxed out for distances and everything set as high as it will go except for AA which is down at 2x.. game runs buttery smooth for me like that.

The sneak system is completely badass... I liked sneak in THEORY in oblivion and morrowind.. but the way it is now I'll probably actually play a sneaky character.....

I have high hopes for the leveling system and the way skills work.. I really think it looks like a solid system.. especially for those that like to dabble in a variety of areas but not be punished...

If you dont know essentially when you level.. you get to pick more stamina/magicka/health .. and you get perks (which unlock different things.. like some special abilities.. some reduction in mana/stamina costs.. extra moves and whatnot.. I really like this idea because it doesn't screw you over if you want more magicka.. if you find yourself to be pretty good at being conservative with stamina or health.. you can drop more magicka.. it might cause some imbalance becuase you could probably hammer potions like a boss.. but we'll see.. I tend not to really whore potions much anyway..

As of right now.. unless you're stuck up.. I think everyone will have fun with skyrim... It's nothing revolutionary.. but it just feels.. good. The gameplay is pretty good.. but it just feels much more immersive like morrowind did one you wake up on that boat.. and start wandering around in this peculiar place

I'm playing in EyeFinity 3x1 landscape, and actual gameplay is awesome, but the UI is SUPER zoomed-in and practically unusable. I'm wading through the .ini settings, but does anyone else know of a fix?

I climbed the tallest mountain in Skyrim.
http://imgur.com/a/3ofAv

Horses can actually 'slide' up mountain walls.
About 100 feet below me, there's a big gusty wind area that kills you almost instantly. Climbed up the side, around it. lol

Just played the game for about an hour and a half. My first impressions is that the graphics and animations are pretty good and the interface is actually pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it. I would like a few number hotkeys to assign things to but that's my only real complaint there. As far as combat goes it's much, much better then Oblivion's vanilla combat.

Performance on my end was flawless but I'm only running on high settings with 8xAA and 16xAF at 1366x768 due to running it on a low-end monitor but a very fluid a good gameplay experience all around. No stablity issues or performance issues noticed and I did run around outside for awhile, looks like the distant lod looks pretty good as well. Mouse acceleration is only light and not bad, I actually use a trackball so no problems there, Vsync I noticed no lag or problems but I think that's because the resolution I am playing with isn't very high.

Whew...just woke up to get my up and running only to get instantaneous crashes back to my desktop. I tried about a dozen setting changes, but after a search on the official forums, I made the game run in Vista SP2 compatibility mode successfully. No clue why that seems to work, but it does!
It's apparently a common enough problem, so if anyone else has it - try that!

EDIT: AH - per a random blog I ran into, it's related to the Windows sound settings. It apparently doesn't like 192000 Hz sound settings. Swap it to 44.1 or 96 and everything seems to work okay. Weird, but knowing Bethesda, no shocker.

Last edited:
Yay for newegg! .... out for delivery today! 3 day ground amounts to 1 day shipping when you live in the city next door.

This is going to be one of the longest days of work ever. Why didn't I put in my request for 11/11/11 back in January! *shakes fist*

I have a terrible and busy day at work today and then something after work for several hours...as soon as I make it home though I playing this son of a bitch.

My experience so far has been stellar. No issues at all getting it running or crash to desktop or anything. The opening scene was really the only time I was looking at graphics or anything.

I've only noticed a few oddities, like one time walking along some guy warped 90degrees from standing then back in a blink of an eye. And Someone warped like 20 feet away from me when he left a building.

All I can say is I haven't made any changes at all to this game (ini or otherwise) and I am freaking engrossed. Also, I like burning things and people and animals... :D

Last night I started the game on the base settings and went about half way through the tutorial, saving and exiting out.

I found most of the above listed tweaks on the Bethesda forums (I posted them yesterday) and removed the acceleration and v synch. I also switched the FOV to 87. Completely changed the way the game feels from the initial settings.

I only got as far as exiting the cave, but the visuals are fantastic and sound really pulls you in. I will be playing with the graphics tweaks tonight.

I had zero issues with the UI. I could access everything via mouse clicks, but found a combination of mouse and WASD key was very intuitive once you get the hang of it.

You can remap keys, its under settings. I had moved several settings to my mouse buttons with no issues. I also like how you can assign anything to favorites, map, settings whatever.

Melee is kind of meh, until you get a finishing move it just doesn't feel like you are actually fighting. Archery and magic are very well done, I can't wait to explore those a bit more.

So far this has been a easy buy.

Is it just me or is this a console port? Graphics are almost identical to Obvlivion but with some added details and higher res. Why do PC users have to suffer if consoles can't handle higher end graphics?

it is. Id say its a pretty big jump from oblivion actually. But as for your question, you should already know the answer and it is not really the place to go off on that tangent.

Back