Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

Skyrim Main Theme Music - Full length, best quality version I've heard yet. Let's see how long before ZeniMax yanks this one.

Man i REALLY love the Morrowind theme, but liked it because it sounded epic while being simple (i also love horns).

I'm getting really sick of composers taking the shortcut of thinking that Choir = Epic. Ugh.

Man i REALLY love the Morrowind theme, but liked it because it sounded epic while being simple (i also love horns).

I'm getting really sick of composers taking the shortcut of thinking that Choir = Epic. Ugh.

Did you watch the video someone posted earlier that was all about the audio in the game? The song itself was actually a pretty neat genesis of Todd Howard simply thinking "What would the Elder Scrolls theme sound like if it were sung by a horde of Barbarians?" The story and the result are pretty neat, and it actually took a lot of effort.

But yes, I appreciate a well composed piece of instrumental music over something involving a choir and lots of indistinct shouting.

I really like Skyrims theme song. It think it fits, and really gets your blood pumping. I'm sure the soundtrack will be great.

Did you watch the video someone posted earlier that was all about the audio in the game? The song itself was actually a pretty neat genesis of Todd Howard simply thinking "What would the Elder Scrolls theme sound like if it were sung by a horde of Barbarians?" The story and the result are pretty neat, and it actually took a lot of effort.

But yes, I appreciate a well composed piece of instrumental music over something involving a choir and lots of indistinct shouting.

yea i watched it, i think that was the same video where they went over the voice actors too. I thought it was crazy how he said he had the idea in what... 2006 or 7? Choirs just tend to sound messy lately, not like what Mozart was able to pull off in his Requiem, fuck that is some epic choir.

I work in an office where we sometimes do large voice projects like that (never for a game, damnit--always something boring like an auto-attendant dialogue or public transportation prompts), and seeing that binder CHOCK FULL of pages of voicing---it really makes me appreciate the level of work that goes into these games!

Choirs just tend to sound messy lately, not like what Mozart was able to pull off in his Requiem, fuck that is some epic choir.

Hell yes. I was able to see that performed live in Vienna of all places, talk about surreal.

I listened to the Skyrim Theme a few times on the drive into work today, pretty fucking epic. As soon as that sound track is available it will be mine.

Are there any gameplay (legit) reviews out yet? We are now 7 days out, you would think there were be a few up already.

I don't know anything about this game or predecessors. I decided to look into it after seeing all the interest online, but there is so much information it is hard to know where to begin.

1. What kind of game is this? MMORPG like WOW or a single player RPG like the Witcher?
2. What makes it so good?
3. Where should I start reading about it?

Thanks

Jeremy Soule is not known for taking shortcuts. I'm not worried about it. Hell, I'll take Jeremy even on a bad day over just about anything else most of the time.

This looks to be a pretty all-encompasing update mod for Morrowind (and it's still available). Is this the one you were talking about?

http://www.gamepron.com/news/2011/01/03/morrowind-2011-mod-complete-download-here/

Dang, now I might have to fire up Morrowind again. Well, at least it will tide me over until next Friday.

Even all set to go for lazy people like myself. I may just have to hit this myself. What a game. Just look at that and listen to the audio. You always hear that Silt Strider in the distance and the rest of it. So much character, depth ,and texture in that game.

I don't know anything about this game or predecessors. I decided to look into it after seeing all the interest online, but there is so much information it is hard to know where to begin.

1. What kind of game is this? MMORPG like WOW or a single player RPG like the Witcher?

Thanks

Not quite like the Witcher, what games have you played?

Jeremy Soule is not known for taking shortcuts. I'm not worried about it. Hell, I'll take Jeremy even on a bad day over just about anything else most of the time.

Definitely not, and the video was proof of how much work went into it...but choirs are just used so much lately to achieve an easy "epic" feel in video-game music, i tend to appreciate something epic without choir much more.

Thanks

Single Player only. But its not really like the Witcher either. The Witcher has a strong narrative pushing you forward on a somewhat linear path, this game just opens up to whatever you want to do. theres a main story but its really secondary to everything else.

As above :) Kill anyone, talk to anyone, break into any house, join any guild, help anyone, etc. Theres just OOOODLES of things to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_V:_Skyrim

Definitely not, and the video was proof of how much work went into it...but choirs are just used so much lately to achieve an easy "epic" feel in video-game music, i tend to appreciate something epic without choir much more.

It can be overdone for sure.

I listened to the Skyrim Theme a few times on the drive into work today, pretty fucking epic. As soon as that sound track is available it will be mine.

It's available

A four-disk beast.

And, yeah, Jeremy Soule is AMAZING. His 'IL-2 Sturmovik Birds of Prey' soundtrack was amazing, as was Morrowind and Oblivion (obviously). I got introduced to his work by the soundtrack for Icewind Dale, which, IMHO, was pretty amazing as well.

He does very solid work for video games!

Well, it's single-player. But it does play a lot like an MMORPG without the grinding. (I mean, you do have to practice skills to level up attributes...but since you aren't doing so in competition with other people, the game certainly speeds up the process)

It does rather have that feel of a 'wide open world'. Only more detailed. Most MMORPGs (well, all I've played) have a lot of scenery you cannot interact with. Houses you can see...that you can't go into. etc. In the Elder Scrolls games...definitely not the case. You can get anywhere, into any building, etc.

Last edited:
It's available

A four-disk beast.

And, yeah, Jeremy Soule is AMAZING. His 'IL-2 Sturmovik Birds of Prey' soundtrack was amazing, was was Morrowind and Oblivion (obviously). I got introduced to his work by the soundtrack for Icewind Dale, which, IMHO, was pretty amazing as well.

Instantly ordered.

Alright, so any good Skyrim deals going on right now? Or what is the consensus on the best place to order from?

Alright, so any good Skyrim deals going on right now? Or what is the consensus on the best place to order from?

I really don't see any deals really. Only perks you really get is pre-ordering from GameStop or Amazon type of place and getting a free physical map...

I really don't see any deals really. Only perks you really get is pre-ordering from GameStop or Amazon type of place and getting a free physical map...

Do you get your code early with those so you can preload and play on release with Steam?

I really like Skyrims theme song. It think it fits, and really gets your blood pumping. I'm sure the soundtrack will be great.

I by far prefer the Morrowind theme. It's subtle yet conveys a sense of grandeur and adventure. Skyrim's theme, while maintaining the core, is a Michael-Bay'ed self-masturbatory bombasta-fest. It made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

I think im gonna way for Skyrim and not adopt at release, Bethesda is notorious for bugs at the begining, not to mention DX11 comes later so Ill wait a bit before I jump in. but Ill be damned if it wont be hard not to buy this anyway. really hoping the game delivers in an awesome way.

I by far prefer the Morrowind theme. It's subtle yet conveys a sense of grandeur and adventure. Skyrim's theme, while maintaining the core, is a Michael-Bay'ed self-masturbatory bombasta-fest. It made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Ah yes, Michael-Gay'ed is a great way of describing how i feel about this theme.

Ah yes, Michael-Gay'ed is a great way of describing how i feel about this theme.

OH! How much does it cost to get on -this- bandwagon?

In my opinion, the theme suits the styling. I honestly feel Skyrim will be a whole package winner, all genrealizations and to-be-known issues aside.

Last edited:
Ive played Morrowind (with sound ON) more hours than I can possibly say, but I dont hear a theme similarity here at all.

The sound is much more "In your Face" then the subtety of Morrowind, and I do blame popularity for that, but O well. Im not gonna lose sleep over it.

OH! How much does it cost to get on -this- bandwagon?

In my opinion, the theme suits the styling. I honestly feel Skyrim will be a whole package winner, all genrealizations and to-be-known issues aside.

this it fits the Norse theme very well

So now that the consoles have had a few days to download and play the full retail version, how is it? Living up to the hype? I'm just excited it's coming out on a Friday so that I can actually play it on release day for a significant amount of time :) (assuming it isn't bug riddled on the PC, which I give a ~50% chance).

So now that the consoles have had a few days to download and play the full retail version, how is it? Living up to the hype?

To do so, they would be admitting to pirating it and would likely get banned.

To do so, they would be admitting to pirating it and would likely get banned.

Good point... *dangles bait*

Maybe your friend told you their opinion of the game?

I've got to finish Deus Ex and Bastion by Friday... Not enough time! Duck season starts this weekend! It is hard to believe how many potentially amazing games are coming out in a two month window.

Here are some opinions formed from viewing streaming gameplay videos: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...tial-Thoughts-SPOILER-FREE-Now-with-more-info

His opinion hit on what is my only real complaint from just the videos...the inventory/skill management is all...space-agey with transparencies and rotating 3d projections of the items.

It feels...REALLY out of place. Not just a little bit, but, like, totally immersion-killing. Maybe that can be turned off, or reverted to the Oblivion-method or something. Or modders will do it, I'm sure of that.

It's available

A four-disk beast.

And, yeah, Jeremy Soule is AMAZING. His 'IL-2 Sturmovik Birds of Prey' soundtrack was amazing, was was Morrowind and Oblivion (obviously). I got introduced to his work by the soundtrack for Icewind Dale, which, IMHO, was pretty amazing as well.

He does very solid work for video games!

In spite of the ridiculously over-the-top theme, I just hit order with the fist of an angry god. Jeremy Soule is a master. It's unbelievable how this guy keeps churning out incredible soundracks.

A 4-disc autographed box set + artist autograph for $29.99 = winning.

His opinion hit on what is my only real complaint from just the videos...the inventory/skill management is all...space-agey with transparencies and rotating 3d projections of the items.

It feels...REALLY out of place. Not just a little bit, but, like, totally immersion-killing. Maybe that can be turned off, or reverted to the Oblivion-method or something. Or modders will do it, I'm sure of that.

Supposedly in some cases the items will need to be visually inspected to solve puzzles or quests. I'd be more concerned if the inventory was a list of items, then them being 3d in game items. I prefer when the inventory version of an item looks exactly like it when once equipped.

Supposedly in some cases the items will need to be visually inspected to solve puzzles or quests. I'd be more concerned if the inventory was a list of items, then them being 3d in game items. I prefer when the inventory version of an item looks exactly like it when once equipped.

I'd bet that the PC will get the console UI that we've seen.. Yes, the list of items, which is absolutely horrible for a mouse. blah!

DarnUI ftw

Are we allowed to post links to streams of the leaked version on this forum?

Yeah, but you could do it in an in-game way.

Imagine having a model of your character that appeared when you selected your inventory, and as you moved from weapon/armor selection to weapon/armor selection, it jumped around your character's body, zooming in on the selected item you had equipped (or on a belt).

Ditto other inventory items. Have a bag you'd be looking at them in. Or even just showing an item visibly held in your hand would make it feel more 'thematic'. (All of these ideas also deleting the 3d/transparency menus with glowing description text...for something more parchment/script like alongside, of course)

The transparent/glowing text/fading/animated menus just look tacky.

Back