Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

Not sure where you got this from, but that's just incorrect.

@ Wizardhawk - FO3 was a good game and Bethesda's a good company, don't get me wrong, but NV implemented a lot of nice touches that Bethesda games simply could really benefit from.

I'd rather see Bethesda get Skyrim right at release than some random mod a few months later.

@ Wizardhawk - FO3 was a good game and Bethesda's a good company, don't get me wrong, but NV implemented a lot of nice touches that Bethesda games simply could really benefit from.

I'd rather see Bethesda get Skyrim right at release than some random mod a few months later.

Better writing, actual factions, choices that have consequences, skill checks abound, better perks, more dynamic and directional audio, multiple ways to complete the game, better "dungeons" and items, less scaling difficulty.

There are a lot of reasons to appreciate NV more than FO3, swearing in the dialogue had nothing to do with it and I'm not sure it's even come up in conversation until today.

I guess if you were being optimistic you could say that the xbox performance issues are a good thing. They may have tried pushing it a bit too far on consoles which just means that it's going to look better and play smoothly on PCs.

Or maybe it's the same thing that caused the random slowdowns in NV? My framerate would plummet clear down into the single digits sometimes with my old GTX 285 for no apparent reason. I could be panning over a few abandoned buildings and it would happen, it didn't make any sense at all.

I really doubt they've built a new engine from the ground up, it's far more likely that they just used Gamebryo as a base and expanded on it, and this may well be some sort of strange bug that has remained.

Or maybe it's the same thing that caused the random slowdowns in NV? My framerate would plummet clear down into the single digits sometimes with my old GTX 285 for no apparent reason. I could be panning over a few abandoned buildings and it would happen, it didn't make any sense at all.

I really doubt they've built a new engine from the ground up, it's far more likely that they just used Gamebryo as a base and expanded on it, and this may well be some sort of strange bug that has remained.

Yea this has me worried. I just built a new computer and decided to play Oblivion again, but modded this time... ended up with Nehrim instead, with a few other mods.

I expceted it to run like butter on my gtx460... no dice. Somehow this game is still as laggy on my new computer as it was on my old single core laptop with its gforce 6800go.. :(

Yeah, and Oblivion slows down to a crawl if you have more than like 10 NPCs on the screen, regardless of your setup. It really is a terribly optimized game in that sense. I maintain something like 200 fps out in the wilderness, with all sorts of mods such as Qarl's Texture Pack, a few shader enhancements, etc. But the instant I step into the Imperial City it drops clear down to 60 fps, sometimes dropping even lower.

60 FPS = crawl?
A game like Oblivion does not need more than 60 FPS. Few games do.

60 FPS = crawl?
A game like Oblivion does not need more than 60 FPS. Few games do.

FPS aside, yo, have you tried to make it play smoothly on a new machine? the point is that no matter how good your pc or how high you get the FPS, the game still feels like laggy shit.

I didn't play NV but from everything I read all they did was take the cussing from FO3 and take it to the extreme. Sorry, I don't consider a good rpg to be reading as much cursing as possible.

That's the first time I've ever heard anyone say this.

For reasons why NV is better than FO3, Lenin sums it up nicely:

LeninGHOLA said:
Better writing, actual factions, choices that have consequences, skill checks abound, better perks, more dynamic and directional audio, multiple ways to complete the game, better "dungeons" and items, less scaling difficulty.

There are a lot of reasons to appreciate NV more than FO3, swearing in the dialogue had nothing to do with it and I'm not sure it's even come up in conversation until today.

Certain forums don't even consider FO3 or Oblivion proper RPGs.

I just hope that they learn from NV and acquiring Arkane actually means something, but I'm not optimistic.

Fallout 1/2/NV, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights 2 MotB, Vampire Bloodlines, The Witcher 1/2, Alpha Protocol, etc.

Choice & consequence being what someone usually goes after in an RPG, and it's something Oblivion and to an extent, FO3, had none of.

Fallout 1/2/NV, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights 2 MotB, Vampire Bloodlines, The Witcher 1/2, Alpha Protocol, etc.

Choice & consequence being what someone usually goes after in an RPG, and it's something Oblivion and to an extent, FO3, had none of.

What? I thought RPG was about dice rolling and mathematical probabilities with stat and skill numbers. :p

Actually, defining an RPG down to specific terms is retarded IMO. There are a lot of games out there that qualify as an RPG. Generally speaking if a game gives you a choice of what to do (either through advancing the story through choices made and a character's skills and progressions), then it's an RPG. A lot of people like to say that Mass Effect, for example, is not an RPG, but I 110% disagree. Just because it doesn't have dice rolling does not make it NOT an RPG. It's still the player, playing a ROLE by making choices that not every other player in the world is necessarily going to make.

Otherwise if you want to get more specific, then change the acronyms to whittle it down. i.e. call a game like Fallout a CRPG (with inventory management, skill points, and tactical turn based combat) and Mass Effect an action RPG - but they're both still RPGs.

Elder Scrolls games have always been more about a open sandbox experience then an actual rpg although I do agree that I've loved the mods created for Morrowind and Oblivion much more then the vanilla games and if they weren't there I wouldn't have held either of them in such high esteem.

Actually, defining an RPG down to specific terms is retarded IMO. There are a lot of games out there that qualify as an RPG. Generally speaking if a game gives you a choice of what to do (either through advancing the story through choices made and a character's skills and progressions), then it's an RPG. A lot of people like to say that Mass Effect, for example, is not an RPG, but I 110% disagree. Just because it doesn't have dice rolling does not make it NOT an RPG. It's still the player, playing a ROLE by making choices that not every other player in the world is necessarily going to make.

Otherwise if you want to get more specific, then change the acronyms to whittle it down. i.e. call a game like Fallout a CRPG (with inventory management, skill points, and tactical turn based combat) and Mass Effect an action RPG - but they're both still RPGs.

Yeah, Bioware's games are definitely RPG's (although like you said, Mass Effect 2 is polarizing because it's basically Gears of War with dialogue) but it bugs the shit out of me that they still haven't learned that you can do more with choice & consequence than "DO YOU WANT TO SAVE THE WORLD??? Y/N".

60 fps feels more like 25 in this game, there's all kinds of stuttering and whatnot. It really drives me crazy.

Look for stutter remover or microstutter remover for oblivion, I hear it helps. Oblivion itself has stutters, its not the FPS.

Certain forums don't even consider FO3 or Oblivion proper RPGs.

They really aren't so much an RPG. They rely heavily on action and adventure. Defining the genre isn't THAT important, but by many standards, a game like Silent Hill 2 would be an RPG...

I like everything I'm seeing and reading there.

Bah, I hope not every game turns into a regenerating health nightmare. I liked having to enchant a constant effect regenerating health ring in Morrowind. Took time, money and levelling.

On the other hand, the spit and polish on top of it is wonderful. Most especially in the inventory.

The inventory was always something I had a gripe with in Morrowind and Oblivion. Good to see that there's some focus on it.

Fire isn’t a shot-by-shot fireball, but a steady steam of flame that makes short work of these cloth-wearing dead-botherers.

Sweet! Flame Blast from DA:O was such an incredibly useful spell; hopefully they have cone AOE spells!

You’ll also stumble across spits in the game. When you activate one, you’ll be told what you can cook on it and what ingredients are needed.

That's got FO:NV written all over it.

As a whole, the game is “an order of magnitude bigger than Fallout 3 in terms of number of quests and dungeons.”

:eek: I don't even

Good stuff, this is what I've been waiting to hear.

No, the video isn't really all that interesting, just Todd Howard rehashing the same information we've been hearing for the last year or so.

Well the RPS article said:
Bonus for people who don’t like reading: new footage and some video comments from Todd Howard also await you below.

Maybe I misinterpreted that... :confused: Cuz I didn't see any new 'footage' unless they meant of Todd Howard's mugg.

Bah, I hope not every game turns into a regenerating health nightmare. I liked having to enchant a constant effect regenerating health ring in Morrowind. Took time, money and levelling.

Yeah, regenerative health and mana was something special in those games. But if they get rid of mid-battle potion quaffing, then it would be worthwhile. If potions can't be done like in the Witcher 1/2 then they should be gotten rid of altogether.

Yeah, regenerative health and mana was something special in those games. But if they get rid of mid-battle potion quaffing, then it would be worthwhile. If potions can't be done like in the Witcher 1/2 then they should be gotten rid of altogether.

Their is a mod for Oblivion that makes to take a few seconds in real time after you click on a potion to drink it, this counter balances potions very nicely and is a great feature.

The improvements to Skyrim over Oblivion sound amazing and to me at least it can't come soon enough.

Mid-battle potion chugging sucks, probably just as much as regenerating health. Sculelos has it right though, there are several mods that make the system work so much better.

Mid-battle potion chugging sucks, probably just as much as regenerating health. Sculelos has it right though, there are several mods that make the system work so much better.

Heh, I remember in D2 when chipped gems were worth more than any other greater gems (maybe so still?) lower levels would just harvest those. It was all about the purple pots. Just keep drinking those in a duel until your belt ran out.

Midbattle regen health sucks (unless it's a special case like vampires or something), but after the battle, it is somewhat nice and convenient not having to lug around tons of restore health items for a long dungeon haul. Especially when you're trying to keep as much loot as possible from the dungeon. Breaks the flow of immersion when you have to make multiple trips to town and back in. Especially when stuff left in there might disappear.

Regen kind of sucks in a way, but it does help take away from some of the inventory tedium. I think I hate inventory tedium even more.

He says it won't be as large of a jump as Morrowind to Oblivion, which I don't think any reasonable and knowledgeable person expected.

He says it won't be as large of a jump as Morrowind to Oblivion, which I don't think any reasonable and knowledgeable person expected.

Yeah. Just look at all of the developments that occured between Morrowind and Oblivion. Not very much has changed (relatively speaking, of course) between Oblivion and Skyrim. The fact that the games are nearly 6 years apart and will be available on the same console is utterly astounding. Who would have thought this current generation would get drawn out for so long? I think it was uncertainty about when the next generation would come around that ultimately led them to creating Skyrim for the current generation consoles.

That is another thing as well, most people are probably more accustomed to the improvements in FO3/NV as well as graphics mods (I don't think Morrowind graphics mods were as far along at the time of Oblivions release? can't remember).

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113303-Todd-Howard-Tempers-Skyrim-Expectations

Todd Howard pretty much admits that Skryim won't be a big leap forward from Oblivion. In the visual department, anyway. Perhaps he's trying to bring the hype-level down a bit?

Either way, us PC gaming folk knew it wouldn't be that impressive visually, given it's console-centric development.

Anyone with eyeballs can see it's not a significant step forward, the problem is most people who liked Oblivion are probably playing it heavily modified and compared to a modded Oblivion Skyrim will likely be a giant step backwards.

While it's not a gigantic leap forward, graphically, I'm still loving what I see. I think it looks great. Good that he's downplaying the advancements, though. Don't want all the graphics whores to cry 'Crysis 2'. :p

The graphics honestly don't concern me too much. I'll wait until I see the PC version running full on, but they should be passable.

I'd rather focus on gameplay, storyline, and quest design (Radiant Story) with a dollop of lore continuity...

Back