Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

I'm fairly disappointed that they are probably still using gamebyro, and I almost wish they waited for the next generation of consoles, assuming those will be out sometime in 2012, because the game will definitely be held back by current consoles...but ya know what....I'm going to try and forget about all that now that it is what it is, and look forward to this game with blind optimism.

Oh, and about fast travel. I've played oblivion for a significant amount of time trying not to use it. My latest char is something like 50 hours in, lvl 12, and a friggen ton of stuff left to do, and I've been using fast travel since the start. The world is just too big to not have fast travel. I suppose the only way they could design for no fast travel in a large open world game would be to keep most quest objectives relatively close together, which is to some extent a downside by itself. I wouldn't mind if they removed some of the less important traveling for quests that happened all the time in oblivion to make avoiding fast travel more practical.

You probably have an ugly girlfriend, and you're probably constantly saying things like "IT DOESN'T MATTER IN THE DARK HA HA HA".

And unless you are an insecure little child all that is true...

You probably have an ugly girlfriend, and you're probably constantly saying things like "IT DOESN'T MATTER IN THE DARK HA HA HA".

Wow guy why don't you go troll on some other forum. We don't take kindly to that type of shit around here.

Anyways, I really hope there going to surprise us with a new engine. I have a feeling they are holding out. If not, than for me it will be somewhat of a disappointment. The Gamebryo engine always looked its best in a fantasy setting anyway They should have never used it for a Fallout game. I just thought that Bethesda's purchase of id software would bring a new engine to the Elderscrolls games.

Anyways enough talking about Fallout this is a Elderscrolls thread baby!

Last edited:
Wow, 2011 - really surprising.

But great news. Oblivion, on launch day, really tested my old computer. Hopefully this time I'll be more prepared.

Anybody else kind of disappointed that it's being released on this generation of consoles? I would have rather had them wait a couple of more years and launched with new consoles. The scale, graphics, physics would have been amazing. Plus they wouldn't have had to worry about disc space of a DVD. Now we'll probably have to wait until 2016 or later for a true next generation ES.

I feel the same way about GTA. One game + DLC is enough for one generation. I really hope they're developing the next one with next generation hardware in mind so we won't have to wait several years into it to have a GTA game.

Anybody else kind of disappointed that it's being released on this generation of consoles? I would have rather had them wait a couple of more years and launched with new consoles. The scale, graphics, physics would have been amazing. Plus they wouldn't have had to worry about disc space of a DVD. Now we'll probably have to wait until 2016 or later for a true next generation ES.

I feel the same way about GTA. One game + DLC is enough for one generation. I really hope they're developing the next one with next generation hardware in mind so we won't have to wait several years into it to have a GTA game.

Nope, because on the PC it will look fantastic.

This was the year that the PC utterly buried the 360 and the PS 3. Every game released this year looked miles better on the PC. Metro 2033, for example, on the PC, made the console version look like a joke. Just Cause 2 - miles better on the PC. Mafia 2 - miles better.

Red Dead Redemption, the only 360 title I bought this year, was a pixelated mess - just up the butt ugly.

Nope, because on the PC it will look fantastic.

This was the year that the PC utterly buried the 360 and the PS 3. Every game released this year looked miles better on the PC. Metro 2033, for example, on the PC, made the console version look like a joke. Just Cause 2 - miles better on the PC. Mafia 2 - miles better.

Red Dead Redemption, the only 360 title I bought this year, was a pixelated mess - just up the butt ugly.

Yea, but it still won't look anywhere near as good if it were built for next-gen consoles. Doesn't matter how good your pc is when the leading platform has less memory than my phone.

Yea, but it still won't look anywhere near as good if it were built for next-gen consoles. Doesn't matter how good your pc is when the leading platform has less memory than my phone.

What phone has more than 512MB of memory?

You do know we have a good few years left of the current gen of consoles right?

Ram is also a weird comparison to make considering of all the major components its probably the least effective for gaming.

also, no fast travel please, completely ruined the immersion in oblivion.

Just because a game has a certain feature, doesn't mean you have to use it.

Games without any form of good fast-travel soon become tedious for most players. Far Cry 2 anybody?

Just because a game has a certain feature, doesn't mean you have to use it.

Games without any form of good fast-travel soon become tedious for most players. Far Cry 2 anybody?

A simple mark, and recall spell worked perfectly, and it didn't affect immersion at all. Don't see why lazy asses have to be able to teleport wherever they want to go.

Why would New Vegas apply to that? Obsidian had never used Gamebryo prior to NV.

also FO3 had alot of gameplay changes over Oblivion that needed worked out ect.

if by some shitty chance they are working with the same engine but just modified they should be able to get alot more done in a shorter time period than with their prev games.

A simple mark, and recall spell worked perfectly, and it didn't affect immersion at all. Don't see why lazy asses have to be able to teleport wherever they want to go.

Maybe if Oblivion had half-way interesting environments instead of the same few textures copy/pasted all over the place it would be worth going through all the time. It has nothing to do with being lazy, I just didn't find most of the world that interesting. Morrowind had a much better designed world and it was more interesting to explore, there was also some risk involved in exploring because you could easily wander somewhere with enemies too powerful to fight and that could kill you easily. Oblivion's shitty level scaling completely killed that and also killed any and all semblance of danger or challenge that could have been present in the world. Aimless wandering didn't serve much purpose either. You could run into the same cave you've been into a million times. Or the same dungeon you've seen before. Whats the point in going to the same place a million times with just a minor layout change and maybe a change in wall color? Its fucking boring.

PS: Immersion is a bullshit marketing term that has no real meaning.

PS: Immersion is a bullshit marketing term that has no real meaning.

Actually I think its more of a community term to describe the experience of playing a game. Getting drawn into a world to the point of addiction and losing track of time = immersion, being completely detached and not caring what happens next = no immersion. :p

Anyway, I personally hope its not like morrowind because I could never get interested in that game. Played it for about 15 hours and then realised "Wait a second, I've spent 15 hours on this game and gotten fucking no where!" ;)

Actually I think its more of a community term to describe the experience of playing a game. Getting drawn into a world to the point of addiction and losing track of time = immersion, being completely detached and not caring what happens next = no immersion. :p

Anyway, I personally hope its not like morrowind because I could never get interested in that game. Played it for about 15 hours and then realised "Wait a second, I've spent 15 hours on this game and gotten fucking no where!" ;)

Immersion is a term that was never tossed around until a few years ago when it started being paraded by the publishers and gaming media.

Then need to add more epic, boss like monsters instead of just generic goblins, bandits, and ghosts. I'd like to see giants, hydra's, and other such larger creatures. Would make battles much more interesting.

My first play though of Oblivion I didn't use the fast travel at all. Just because I knew it was there doesn't ruin immersion for me. I guess I'm not one of those people that sees an easier route and just has to use it.

It is like single player games with exploits that these same type of people complain about, yet they choose to use it every single time. The exploit being there changes absolutely nothing in regards to immersion if you choose not to use it. I don't see the point in bitching about things you can completely avoid.

And I never saw Oblivion fast travel as teleporting. I saw it as your character was still making that journey, just not deviating from that preset path. The viewer, you, just got fast forwarded till when the character arrived at the chosen destination. Like in a movie where the character sets off into the desert and they give a screen saying "7 days later" and he/she is at the destination. That way you don't have to sit through the same crap over and over again if you should choose not to. Perhaps they could have used a system more like Dragon age where you see the path the characters take and you might have issues along the way.

When something is completely optional though, it is entirely your choice to choose to use it and consequently allow it to ruin your immersion in the game or not. I don't see the point in going back and forth with one side calling the other lazy and the other saying the first is weak-willed for using it. It is an option, choose to use it or don't, but accept any consequences it may have on your personal level of immersion as it was your choice to make that decision.

Skyrim will utilise a new proprietary engine, forgoing the Gamebryo engine used for the previous two instalments in the series. The new engine will incorporate some existing technology used in other Bethesda games, such as Oblivion and Fallout 3.
Ripped from wiki page.

Fast travel, hmmm...let's see. I am a hyper-magical BattleMage who can shoot lightning bolts out of my fingertips operating in a mystical world of make believe...why the f*** would I not be able to teleport myself where ever I want to go. It would be non-immersive if I couldn't.
Now, if your playing a non-magic character and you want to walk or ride everywhere you go, then go for it.

Excited for this. The engine does not matter to me. The Fallout games look great and for me, FO3 was fairly bug free although I know some people had a lot of problems.

Day 1 Special Edition purchase for me.

That's the problem that PC gaming is stuck with, in a nutshell.

Hopefully Sony or Microsoft will announce a new console at E3. Its long overdue.

MS especially.

The 360 is outright long in the tooth now and aren't they right there at the high point of the "typical/average" console lifecycle? Seems like it.

I really was disappointed they didn't at least come out with some Xbox 720 pre hype or hints this year even.

Bad news since we're reliant on the lowest common denominator and we have to wait for the bar to get raised.

I think that sucks.

MS especially.

The 360 is outright long in the tooth now and aren't they right there at the high point of the "typical/average" console lifecycle? Seems like it.

I really was disappointed they didn't at least come out with some Xbox 720 pre hype or hints this year even.

Bad news since we're reliant on the lowest common denominator and we have to wait for the bar to get raised.

I think that sucks.

Even with Kintect being a hit I expect we'll see something soon. Stuff like Kinect and Move are just serving as a stop-gap right now and I think we'll see stuff that both Sony and MS learned from developing and releasing those devices in their next consoles. Either way, next gen can't come soon enough.

Even with Kintect being a hit I expect we'll see something soon. Stuff like Kinect and Move are just serving as a stop-gap right now and I think we'll see stuff that both Sony and MS learned from developing and releasing those devices in their next consoles. Either way, next gen can't come soon enough.

Exactly. A lot of that stuff can probably be cleanly ported and transitioned to the new hardware anyways.

A shame a lot of developers don't develop on the PC first and port outwards. It's my understanding that the PC is super easy to develop for and if they did it that way I would think everyone would be winners in the end.

I guess I'm missing a detail or two there.

The fact that it still based off of Gamebryo means that I am quite literally not going to play this game. Fuck Gamebryo is its ass, I dont give a fuck how rich the universe is, its archaic and I feel like I'm beeing robbed by playing games based on this engine in 2010.

I barely let it slide on Fallout 3, New Vegas I gave up on based solely on the goddamn engine. Bethesda is dancing around the issue here, one of the developers on NeoGAF confirmed its using Gamebryo but its enhanced a bit. Animations have not been improved (according to Todd Howard) and this game is just not on my radar at all.

For shame, Bethesda seems to know their way around RPGs pretty well but their decision making skills are laughable. Why the FUCK would the TESV be on Gamebryo after Zenimax aquired iD and iDTech5? Its 2011 nearly ... fuck this shit in the ass and fuck Bethesda.

I'm sure I'll get flamed but honestly I just dont give a shit. Fuck Bethesda, there I said it. :p

. It's my understanding that the PC is super easy to develop for and if they did it that way I would think everyone would be winners in the end.

Your understanding is wrong. Microsofts SDK for the 360 is one of the best ever, a major reason why many developers start there first and port elsewhere.

Fast travel, hmmm...let's see. I am a hyper-magical BattleMage who can shoot lightning bolts out of my fingertips operating in a mystical world of make believe...why the f*** would I not be able to teleport myself where ever I want to go. It would be non-immersive if I couldn't.
Now, if your playing a non-magic character and you want to walk or ride everywhere you go, then go for it.

Excited for this. The engine does not matter to me. The Fallout games look great and for me, FO3 was fairly bug free although I know some people had a lot of problems.

Day 1 Special Edition purchase for me.

i liked the silt striders, added to the feel of the world

The fact that it still based off of Gamebryo means that I am quite literally not going to play this game. Fuck Gamebryo is its ass, I dont give a fuck how rich the universe is, its archaic and I feel like I'm beeing robbed by playing games based on this engine in 2010.

I barely let it slide on Fallout 3, New Vegas I gave up on based solely on the goddamn engine. Bethesda is dancing around the issue here, one of the developers on NeoGAF confirmed its using Gamebryo but its enhanced a bit. Animations have not been improved (according to Todd Howard) and this game is just not on my radar at all.

For shame, Bethesda seems to know their way around RPGs pretty well but their decision making skills are laughable. Why the FUCK would the TESV be on Gamebryo after Zenimax aquired iD and iDTech5? Its 2011 nearly ... fuck this shit in the ass and fuck Bethesda.

I'm sure I'll get flamed but honestly I just dont give a shit. Fuck Bethesda, there I said it. :p

Your understanding is wrong. Microsofts SDK for the 360 is one of the best ever, a major reason why many developers start there first and port elsewhere.

Why do people think just because an engine is shiny and new that it'll be good for every type of game out there? Sorry but engines don't work that way. Tech5 isn't even a proven engine yet, for all we know it could be a terrible pain in the ass to work with for developers and its probably nowhere near designed to be used for the type of RPGs Bethesda develops. I don't like Gamebryo either, but demanding they use an unproven engine thats not likely even going to work well for this type of game is ridiculous at best, idiotic at worst. Also the game was most likely in development before Zenimax bought id.

Why do people think just because an engine is shiny and new that it'll be good for every type of game out there? Sorry but engines don't work that way. Tech5 isn't even a proven engine yet, for all we know it could be a terrible pain in the ass to work with for developers and its probably nowhere near designed to be used for the type of RPGs Bethesda develops. I don't like Gamebryo either, but demanding they use an unproven engine thats not likely even going to work well for this type of game is ridiculous at best, idiotic at worst. Also the game was most likely in development before Zenimax bought id.

id 5 is not only shiny. It is well optimized, extremely stable, and technically astonishing. I mean, John Carmack programmed it. Why does it need to be proven? ANYTHING is better than Gamebryo. Besides, id has already stated that they're going to release the same modding tools that made the game Rage when it comes out. Ridiculous at best? Idiotic at worst? Have you even seen the Rage (id 5) engine in motion? It wouldn't be a pain in the ass, it would be awesome. Not that I believe it will happen.

id 5 is not only shiny. It is well optimized, extremely stable, and technically astonishing. I mean, John Carmack programmed it. Why does it need to be proven? ANYTHING is better than Gamebryo. Besides, id has already stated that they're going to release the same modding tools that made the game Rage when it comes out. Ridiculous at best? Idiotic at worst? Have you even seen the Rage (id 5) engine in motion? It wouldn't be a pain in the ass, it would be awesome. Not that I believe it will happen.

Care to address the actual point of my post?

Which was what, exactly? I was replying to your assertion that people automatically think a "shiny" eye-popping engine is better for any game. I'm saying id 5 would be a fine engine. If you have any other point hidden in there, now's the time to reveal it. I know, I know, I fail at reading etc. whatever.

Which was what, exactly? I was replying to your assertion that people automatically think a "shiny" eye-popping engine is better for any game. I'm saying id 5 would be a fine engine. If you have any other point hidden in there, now's the time to reveal it. I know, I know, I fail at reading etc. whatever.

That was just the opening statement, my main point is that Tech5 is likely simply not designed to deal with games like the Elder Scrolls. I'm sure Tech5 will be a good engine, but anything is possible and putting huge hopes on an engine that is yet unproven (a cool iOS game not included) is foolhardy. It could end up being another Tech4. A good engine, released way too late and over shadowed by other engines with better features.

I saw that point, but seriously, what is telling you it's unproven and not usable for the Elder Scrolls series? Elder Scrolls games can be played in the third person as well as the first. The fact that a game is being made with it right now means it must be good enough for id to use. I have confidence in that. I'm also dying to know which other engines have better features that overshadow id 5. It sounds to me like Bethesda has no reason to upgrade anything (other than being complacent cheapskates) because people keep giving them a pass and buying their recycled games.

actually Kinect will mean a pretty big delay in the release of a new console.

and the more successful it is the longer it will be for a new console.

one of MS goals with releasing Kinect is to extend the life cycle of current gen consoles.

the longer this ride lasts the more money they recoup from all the losses involved with selling system for no proffit early on and all the lost money from RROD ect.

we wont see a new console until almost 2014 it might be anounced well before then but i dont think it will be in stores till then.

I saw that point, but seriously, what is telling you it's unproven and not usable for the Elder Scrolls series? Elder Scrolls games can be played in the third person as well as the first. The fact that a game is being made with it right now means it must be good enough for id to use. I have confidence in that. I'm also dying to know which other engines have better features that overshadow id 5. It sounds to me like Bethesda has no reason to upgrade anything (other than being complacent cheapskates) because people keep giving them a pass and buying their recycled games.

Its not about third or first person or any of that shit. Its about the size of the game world. Tech5 is probably going to end up being murder on console hardware, even in smaller games. UE3 isn't suitable for games on the scale of Oblivion either, unless a developer wanted to take a serious drop in image quality. Tech5 will probably suffer from the same fate. It will be great for shooters, more linear RPGs, action games, and so on. Basically things with more loading and smaller areas. Maybe something like Rockstar's RAGE engine would be a better option, but I don't believe they licence it out.

id 5 is not only shiny. It is well optimized, extremely stable, and technically astonishing. I mean, John Carmack programmed it. Why does it need to be proven? ANYTHING is better than Gamebryo.

I'm sure its fantastically optimized, stable and astonishing. But have you seen it drive an environment which isn't a bunch of glorified corridors? I mean Rage appears to take place entirely within canyons from what I've seen. It might work for Rage, but that's not really appropriate technology for an open world RPG. And if Bethesda did try to hack it to work for them (like Sigil did with Unreal to make Vanguard, for example) then it would negate the whole Carmack advantage and compromise the fabled optimization and stability.

Back