Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - PC or 360?

Rash

2[H]4U
help i cant decide, any reviews comparing the 2 anywhere? got both my setups linked to my 32" LCDtv in the lounge evrything wireless, pc is also linked to 23"acd, any other advice which one to get?
cheers

Would you rather use a keyboard and mouse or a controller? Otherwise, it looks like your rig is up to the challenge and you've got a 360.. lucky man :)

What it comes down to is, do you want the living room gaming experience, or the computer desk experience? I usually enjoy playing games in my living room more than on my PC...

As a reminder we do have seperate forums now for PC and consoling.

Any thread crapping or cross trolling will be dealt with swiftly as you can see.

I'm going to wait to see how well my hardware will run it at 1280x1024 before I make a decision. It will be interesting to see if there are any slowdown issues in one version that might not be present in the other.

Here's my reply in the "general" thread...you should look there...

"My gut tells me that the PC always does games like this better...BUUUUUT, I think I'd rather be able to sit back on my couch, or even lay down with the wireless controller and a 5X bigger screeen.
It's the one thing that's so appealing about console games for me. I like having a much bigger screen and a much more layed back set-up. No, I don't have mouselook or the ability to have 15 short-cut keys, but I have comfort. In a game you'll be putting some serious time into, that really matters!

Beyond that, like others have pointed out, the 360 is the LOADED OUT graphical version out of the box. No "turning down details" or lowering the resolution needed. You play the game as it was meant to be, and not the "it looks pretty good and is playable" version. Who cares about when you upgrade in 2 years? By then the game will be on sale for $10 in the bargain bin anyway. If you're still playing it and spent the money on a PC overhaul, I'd like to think you could spare the $10 to get another copy."

Eh, I'm trying to make the same decision. I'm not sure how well it'll run on my laptop and desktop. I'm probably going to wait for it to get released and see how well it runs based on posts on forums by those who purchase it. If it seems to run well on older hardware, I might get it for PC, otherwise I'll stick with the Xbox 360.

Domingo said:
Here's my reply in the "general" thread...you should look there...

"My gut tells me that the PC always does games like this better...BUUUUUT, I think I'd rather be able to sit back on my couch, or even lay down with the wireless controller and a 5X bigger screeen.
It's the one thing that's so appealing about console games for me. I like having a much bigger screen and a much more layed back set-up. No, I don't have mouselook or the ability to have 15 short-cut keys, but I have comfort. In a game you'll be putting some serious time into, that really matters!

Beyond that, like others have pointed out, the 360 is the LOADED OUT graphical version out of the box. No "turning down details" or lowering the resolution needed. You play the game as it was meant to be, and not the "it looks pretty good and is playable" version. Who cares about when you upgrade in 2 years? By then the game will be on sale for $10 in the bargain bin anyway. If you're still playing it and spent the money on a PC overhaul, I'd like to think you could spare the $10 to get another copy."

Thats fine but what would you do in my position with my kind of pc which as my posts states is hooked up in the living room on the big screen. the xbox has the wireless pad, so does the pc, what would you do, im asking for pros and cons for each version for my pc and 360, as for comfort both my 360 and pc are in the same livingroom and can be used from the couch!

I've just ordered both versions. Pc for myself and 360 for my brother for his birthday. Was able to get the PC collectors edition for just a fiver more than the normal edition. Either way, still got a couple of weeks to go :(

Rash said:
Thats fine but what would you do in my position with my kind of pc which as my posts states is hooked up in the living room on the big screen. the xbox has the wireless pad, so does the pc, what would you do, im asking for pros and cons for each version for my pc and 360, as for comfort both my 360 and pc are in the same livingroom and can be used from the couch!
Well, when you put it that way, I'd say "get the PC version." I mean, I just bought a 360 myself yesterday (will arrive ~this week), but the constuction kit and mods that come out for the PC are amazing, especially a couple of months down the road. Add to the fact that this game has a HUGE graphical update over Morrowind, and Morrowind's mods were SHEER AWESOME, and I think you have a winner.

For me, I don't mind the desk experience, so I"ll be getting the PC version. You say that you have both hooked up to your living room screen, so that makes it even better. I mean, it sure looks like your computer can handle pretty much maximum settings at HDTV resolutions, (we all hope, once the game comes out, we'll see; it should IMO :D ), so go with the PC version.

I know there are people who either their PCs can't handle oblivion at the eye-candy settings that the 360 runs at, or just want to game in the living room. For those people, I say "go with the 360 version." For you, go with the PC. It couldn't hurt. I don't see any real big cons from going with either. All I do see is the one "pro" of going with the PC version, which is the Construction Set. If you don't care at all for mods or huge updates, go with the 360. But when both are the same price, and in the situation you're in (both in the living room on a big screen), I don't see why you shouldn't go PC.

Maximus825 said:
What it comes down to is, do you want the living room gaming experience, or the computer desk experience? I usually enjoy playing games in my living room more than on my PC...

For me, i've ordered the Xbox360 version as there is no couch experience for me. The Xbox 360 and my PC are hooked up to my desk. When people come over, they know better than to mess with anything on my desk, as some brat would likely mess something up if everything was hooked up in the living room.

xbox360 version will be more enjoyable for me. Laying back on my couch enjoying the game with the xbox360's wireless controler, 50 inch HDTV and surround sound jsut seems like a better idea. Being comfortable is important considering how many wasted hours will be going into this game.

The question for other folks with a similar decision would be:
What type of PC would be needed to produce graphics at the same level as the 360?

I'm assuming you'd need an athlon 64 3500+, 7800 gt, 1 gig of ram. So, for PC specs like mine (see signature), the 360 version will have better graphics.

Rash said:

How does the cordless gamepad for your PC treat ya? You like it?

Yeah, if you've got the surround set-up for your PC and it legitimately works well...wait 'til a review comes out for the PC and compare preformance of the two. The game isn't going to sell out the first few hours (I pick up new releases on my lunch break and have never had an issue), so wait to see what reviewers are saying.
My experiences with PC gamepads has been horrible. I'm wondering which ones are worth getting. I keep running into pads with 2 analogs...and a freakin' flight hat instead of a real digital pad. If anyone knows of one (cordless or not), please tell me the make and model!

Maximus825 said:
How does the cordless gamepad for your PC treat ya? You like it?
Love it, its been perfect for any game i have used it on! was thinking of getting a 360 wireless one if somehow peps manage to get it to work.

pro's of the PC:

can adjust settings to the ones you like, dislike certain eye candy you can turn it off, or up the rez
easily updatable

cons:
possible slow downs in stress situations
might not like the controller (if you are using one) then the xbox360 one

pro's of the XboX360:
continous speed
faster loading

cons:
not very updatable
you are stuck with what you see

either way i think its a coin toss, nothing i mentioned was ground breaking other then being able to turn on/off some of the effects, i personally am going to hate that stupid glow if they kept it in there from the demo movies and will be the first thing i turn off, how ever you have the comfort of your couch a kick ass system that can run it well, i say what ever you see first, if you see the 360 one on the shelf first impulse buy, same thing with the PC version

Trimlock said:
pro's of the PC:

can adjust settings to the ones you like, dislike certain eye candy you can turn it off, or up the rez
easily updatable

cons:
possible slow downs in stress situations
might not like the controller (if you are using one) then the xbox360 one

pro's of the XboX360:
continous speed
faster loading

cons:
not very updatable
you are stuck with what you see

either way i think its a coin toss, nothing i mentioned was ground breaking other then being able to turn on/off some of the effects, i personally am going to hate that stupid glow if they kept it in there from the demo movies and will be the first thing i turn off, how ever you have the comfort of your couch a kick ass system that can run it well, i say what ever you see first, if you see the 360 one on the shelf first impulse buy, same thing with the PC version

im not so sure about those 2 pros of the 360 against my pc setup as the ign article states, there are a few games on the 360 that i own that dont have consistent framerates. I think judging by the ign article the pc seems better in every respect for me.

if thats the case then PC all the way, i was leaning twords the PC anyways

Back