EK Waterblock Warping/Customer Support

Eddy has acknowledged on xtremesystems that some of the FC280 waterblock baseplates were machined too thin, which eventually caused a concave contact on the GPU heatspreader.

I've been running my GTX 280 for almost 3 years on Eddy's waterblock.
The last 6 months or so, my GPU has been running at 105°C.
I took off the warped waterblock and found that the PCB/GPU heatspreader were warped and no longer made contact with the GPU.

Thinking this was a non-issue, I contacted EK customer support for a replacement.
The customer service rep has informed me that the waterblock is no longer under warranty:

"Hello,

only few blocks were like that and they once installed wont let card boot up from 1st attempt. Yours did and was running fine till you got it reinstalled, so you got a good item.

I suggest you keep your shirt on and rethink steps you did when reinstalling.

Best regards,
Gregor"

That's too bad. This definitely isn't the first evidence of terrible EK customer support I've seen.

What Eddy has said about this issue around 2 years ago:

"Hi

I have to appologize and point out maufacturing/construction fault with some (not all) of the 280 GTX water blocks.

The problem accured because we tried to make lighter water block, so it became "too thin" and when mounting the block it becames more concave on the GPU contact. This causes very high temperatures of the GPU (90-100°C) even when checking of the GPU contact shows good contact.

So if any of users have too high temperatures (90-100°C) please contact your reseller or contact us directly. We will send you immedeatelly new copper base replacement, which will solve problems with high temperatures.

Again we appologize for the problams and ask for understanding. Also we have to point out this problem accured only with these blocks.

Contact us at info(at)ekwaterblocks.com e-mail.

Eddy"

Sent an e-mail there and got the same guy responding.
I've already had to RMA my graphics card because of this.

If I remount the EK waterblock onto the replacement it's going to cause the same damage.

Looks like they are going downhill a bit at EK... that's a pretty poor attitude really.

I recently got a pair of blocks for my 6950s and the bases were full of machining marks, swirls and hollows everywhere. The fit wasn't too brilliant either as I had to reduce the hight of those stupid spacers a bit for the block to contact the vrms properly.

Back