EK GPU block leaking

Phuncz

2[H]4U
I have an AMD Radeon R9 290X reference board with an EK fullcover block (Acetal + Nickel) and I noticed a small puddle below my PC this week. I saw some white residue between the edges of the acetal top and copper block. I tested this week with Bioshock Infinite (putting my GPU above 50°C) and after 5 minutes, another puddle and some moisture at the same crease between top and block.

Now here's the thing: I don't have the original cooler anymore to ask for warranty on this block. Is it reasonable to assume that I will be able to fix this myself by reseating the seal and retightening the bolts ? Why I ask is because I void the warranty on the block by doing so. I'm considering getting an Arctic Accelero Extreme IV but that's €70 just for being able to ship it back (shipping costs), so I'm thinking about just switching straight to the Accelero so I don't have to worry about leaks.

I would just tighten the screws and that will probably fix it. Just don't go too tight cause those things will strip.

What might have happened is the gasket got pinched from the block being assembled quickly or assembled dry (I put some coolant on gaskets to give them some slip). Taking it apart would be idea but if you don't want to void the varranty...

Did you open the block when you got it? How old is the block? Those o-rings are a royal pain in the ass to put on correctly when I tried to do it.

You could try tightening the screws near where it is leaking or order a new o-ring and replace it if its damaged.

I didn't adjust the block in any way, I mounted it about a year ago fresh out of the (sealed) box and it just started leaking this week. The problem is it's not a plexi top so I can't see how well the gasket is seated without opening it and thus voiding it's warranty.

Did you open the block when you got it? How old is the block? Those o-rings are a royal pain in the ass to put on correctly when I tried to do it.

You could try tightening the screws near where it is leaking or order a new o-ring and replace it if its damaged.

EK puts a sticker on the edge of the block so if you crack it open you'd break the sticker and warranty = void.

Personally I think that's bullshit because I'd rather disassemble every block when I take delivery to ensure it's free of mfg. residue and properly assembled.

Just check the screws. Were is your OEM cooler?

I would be calling EK and telling them I need some new o-rinds and breaking there idiot seal. How can you maintain and clean compnents if you can't open them up?

As far as resetting o-rings get some silicone vacuum grease or P-90. I hate P-90. And use a very little bit of either. Just enough to make your finger tips shiny. Gently dress the o-ring and lay back in it's channel. It will help hold the o-ring and provided and fantastic lube and conditioning to the o-ring.

EK puts a sticker on the edge of the block so if you crack it open you'd break the sticker and warranty = void.

Personally I think that's bullshit because I'd rather disassemble every block when I take delivery to ensure it's free of mfg. residue and properly assembled.

It is bullshit, but maybe I got lucky with mine because when I very carefully twisted the acrylic top off I was actually able to leave the sticker intact.

I'm also going to assume that taking a heat gun to your block will remove the sticker, provided you don't melt the top of course lol

I took the block off of the card today, I ordered the Arctic Accelero yesterday because I was worrying this would eventually need RMA since I'm not sure I can repair it. A good thing I did, today the block started dripping even when just idling with low pressure and low temps. Luckily the air cooler arrived today, so I started immediately.

Pics:

QAzgcfp.png

You can see some white residue between the fitting block and the block itself. It still had some moisture. Feser One liquid stays wet, doesn't dry like water does.

hCHlZDA.png

Again clearly some residue between the top nickel and bottom acetal.

I'm going to send it back. I wasn't completely happy with the Swiftech H220 anyway (crappy fans, noisy pump) so I also got a replacement CPU heatsink. I'll probably leave my main system like this and keep the watercooling (once it has been RMA'ed) for projects.

For the person asking for my OEM cooler: I'm using it for something else, namely cooling a 70W LED panel. And it's also horrible enough to not reinstall back, I'd rather get another aftermarket cooler.

Back