Eizo S2411W-U

What is the ar-coating on this monitor like ? Does it shimmer like the Dell 2407 ?
Is there any noise related problem with it ? is it dead silent ? I´m in need of a silent & non shimmering monitor.

What is the ar-coating on this monitor like ? Does it shimmer like the Dell 2407 ?
Is there any noise related problem with it ? is it dead silent ? I´m in need of a silent & non shimmering monitor.

Its a sort of satin sheen. I don't see any shimmering, and regards noise, it is SILENT. At least mine is anyway.

Cheers

Chippy

Hey guys....first time post here. :)

I've been "CRT ludite" since year dot. I've still got a variety of 19" and 21" Mitsubishi, NEC, and LeCie CRTs in use. But now having built a brand new workstation (and for gaming) I've had to take the plunge in the realm of LCD screens. So I bought an Eizo S2411W-U after long, long deliberation of which 24" or 26" widescreen would be the best all-rounder (work, games, movies). The NEC 2690WUXi was a contender, but the review at BEhardware put me off it.

Not wanting to start any more S2411W-U and 2690WUXi comparison debates my post is more concerned with myself getting used to using this new (and rather gorgeous) Eizo LCD screen for the first time.

I've always calibrated my CRTs by hand (with a Patone chart). The menu options on the Eixo are baffling to me at the mo'. I'd like to know how does one get the Eizo CD screen utility (forgotten the name of it) for adjustment the screen to work. Does the USB cable go in first before installing it? I installed it first before using the USB cable and only got limited functions from it. I've also got an Eye-One Display 2 device for accurate calibration....never used one of these in my life (help?).

Can any Eizo S2411W-U users help me out with getting started in getting this puppy sweetly calibrated before I actually start doing any work with it. Cheers.

BTW, been briefly been playing STALKER with this screen at 1680x1090 and I'm pretty amazed....no ghosting, lush colours. Haven't tried a movie yet....still waiting for my iMon Knob to turn up (what a great name).

I know its been asked recently but I haven't seen any definitive answer --

Can this Eizo monitor properly display 1080p, 720p and 480p from non-pc sources such as PS3, Wii, set-top blu-ray players, portable media players, etc (over HDMI for the most part) ? :confused:

I was looking at the 24" BenQ but they dropped the ball on their first return-to-factory firmware update, and are now reportedly working on a second firmware update to hopefully fix the improper display of "external devices". (I am seeking a 24"-ish 1080p capable hdcp monitor but it seems like many have bugs/problems filling a multimedia display role).

Thanks in advance for anyone who can give a solid answer on this.

Can this Eizo monitor properly display 1080p, 720p and 480p from non-pc sources such as PS3, Wii, set-top blu-ray players, portable media players, etc (over HDMI for the most part) ? :confused:

I was looking at the 24" BenQ but they dropped the ball on their first return-to-factory firmware update, and are now reportedly working on a second firmware update to hopefully fix the improper display of "external devices". (I am seeking a 24"-ish 1080p capable hdcp monitor but it seems like many have bugs/problems filling a multimedia display role).

Thanks in advance for anyone who can give a solid answer on this.

Hi. it might be worth waiting for the new Eizo 24" due in June. here's a link to a thread I started on this monitor. Given the monitor's product name it seems to be geared to HD and to coping with input from external sources.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1178535

Hey guys....first time post here. :)

I've been "CRT ludite" since year dot. I've still got a variety of 19" and 21" Mitsubishi, NEC, and LeCie CRTs in use. But now having built a brand new workstation (and for gaming) I've had to take the plunge in the realm of LCD screens. So I bought an Eizo S2411W-U after long, long deliberation of which 24" or 26" widescreen would be the best all-rounder (work, games, movies). The NEC 2690WUXi was a contender, but the review at BEhardware put me off it.

Not wanting to start any more S2411W-U and 2690WUXi comparison debates my post is more concerned with myself getting used to using this new (and rather gorgeous) Eizo LCD screen for the first time.

I've always calibrated my CRTs by hand (with a Patone chart). The menu options on the Eixo are baffling to me at the mo'. I'd like to know how does one get the Eizo CD screen utility (forgotten the name of it) for adjustment the screen to work. Does the USB cable go in first before installing it? I installed it first before using the USB cable and only got limited functions from it. I've also got an Eye-One Display 2 device for accurate calibration....never used one of these in my life (help?).

Can any Eizo S2411W-U users help me out with getting started in getting this puppy sweetly calibrated before I actually start doing any work with it. Cheers.

BTW, been briefly been playing STALKER with this screen at 1680x1090 and I'm pretty amazed....no ghosting, lush colours. Haven't tried a movie yet....still waiting for my iMon Knob to turn up (what a great name).

Hi. I had a demo of the 2410 but havent seen the 2411 in action. the only thing that put me off the 2410 was the horrendous "twinkling" due to the overdrive circuit. The "twinkling" is shown as white flashes at high speed when watching video. I wonder if you can see this same thing on the 2411? When i tested the 2410 I used the high def video "amazing caves" from the microsoft website. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx
Im interested to know if the twinkling is there on the 2411 and also if its possible to switch OFF the overdrive circuit (using the menus) so that there is no twinkling?
thanks
Pete

elvn said:

Nobody has given a definitive answer because nobody has been able to try it yet.

I want to get one of these, but availability seems to be limited at the moment. If I get one, that's one of the first things I'll test.

Hi. I had a demo of the 2410 but havent seen the 2411 in action. the only thing that put me off the 2410 was the horrendous "twinkling" due to the overdrive circuit. The "twinkling" is shown as white flashes at high speed when watching video. I wonder if you can see this same thing on the 2411? When i tested the 2410 I used the high def video "amazing caves" from the microsoft website. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx
Im interested to know if the twinkling is there on the 2411 and also if its possible to switch OFF the overdrive circuit (using the menus) so that there is no twinkling?
thanks
Pete

Hey... first post.

Pedrito with this model I don't notice any twinkling effect and downloaded the Alexander and T2 preview from MS site to make sure of this.... my monitor is 41Hrs old :D and is doing well.

Hey... first post.

Pedrito with this model I don't notice any twinkling effect and downloaded the Alexander and T2 preview from MS site to make sure of this.... my monitor is 41Hrs old :D and is doing well, I imported this baby from Japan and saved a huge amount if I had got it here in Australia.... ohh say AU$900!!!!! Bloody rip off here! :mad:

Hi Micky, thanks for the info. As per my previous post, is there a way to turn ON/OFF the overdrive circuit from the on screen menus. I wonder whether the twinkling only occurs in movie mode?

how did you import from japan? what was your source there?

Pete

As per my previous post, is there a way to turn ON/OFF the overdrive circuit from the on screen menus. I wonder whether the twinkling only occurs in movie mode?

There's nothing in the user menus.

However, I don't see any twinking at all. Like you, I wondered if overdrive was only enabled in some modes and maybe not others, but I have watched closely in "Custom" mode - my normal mode - and also "Movie" mode and I can't detect any difference. I have to say the "Alexander" demo does look *awesome* on this monitor :)

Cheers

Chippy

I'm with Chippy here I can't notice any setting regarding overdrive in the monitor menu.... I have to admit I've been lazy and haven't hooked up the usb to the monitor to assign diff apps to diff setting via screenmanager pro, but as I say, everything looks smooth.

The reviews I referred to in german with google translation to English...
In the meantime, PRAD has released the English versions of their S2111W & LCD2690WUXi reviews :cool:

Although I'll admit that I haven't manage to read every post in this thread in detail, I don't understand why the 2690's wide-gamut backlighting hasn't been more pronounced and why Eizo's uneven brightness doesn't seem to be an issue in this thread as it's been in other threads, not to mention PARAD's review...

In any event, I'm down to pretty much the above two monitors and would appreciate any follow-ups from the owners (of both models) that have posted in this thread, thanks :)

Why no talk of the Eizo S2411W-U around here? I just got mine (on Saturday) and I have to say its completely stunning in every respect. The colours are just fabulous, greyscales smooth with no perceptable banding and I have no bad pixels and the backlight is *completely* even. Great contrast ratios, and its *very* bright. Its got HDCP enabled DVI connectors and it does 1:1 mapping of 1080p sources. Eizo clearly use high quality parts and the whole thing is beautifully put together. According to the distributor here in the UK, they have shipped "thousands" of Eizo units over the last few years and had "less than a handful with any pixel or sub-pixel errors."

Its marvellous. And although not "cheap" exactly, it was (here in the UK) roughly £100 less than the NEC LCD2690 that seems to be creating so much noise (literally, according to some unlucky owners! LOL).

I'm a very happy camper. I will post some pics shortly.

Cheers

Edit: Here's the pics. Any banding you can see is moire between my camera and the pixels on the Eizo panel. There's no visible banding in reality.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Chippy
can i have those wallpapers?

In the meantime, PRAD has released the English versions of their S2111W & LCD2690WUXi reviews :cool:

Although I'll admit that I haven't manage to read every post in this thread in detail, I don't understand why the 2690's wide-gamut backlighting hasn't been more pronounced and why Eizo's uneven brightness doesn't seem to be an issue in this thread as it's been in other threads, not to mention PARAD's review...

In any event, I'm down to pretty much the above two monitors and would appreciate any follow-ups from the owners (of both models) that have posted in this thread, thanks :)
If you realy want to talk about the EIZO quality why don't you have a look at it somewhere?

If you don't want to get frustrated don't.

Getting a little bored with all this specs talking.

I own the FlexScan S2410W and didn't noticed anything like uneven this and twinkling that.

The whole problem is that it is almost impossible to get a look at the Eizo or a number of other monitors without purchasing one.

Yeh, I guess your right.

Still I think it's the only last test you have to do before buying cause all those specs get you dazzled.

I had a look to be sure after reading all the specs which got me dazzled.

... and would appreciate any follow-ups...
Chip, just wondering why you haven't considered perhaps posting any "follow-up" info with your own observations after using the S2411W for quite some time now...

As already noted above, I'd appreciate any comments, both positive and negative, that you may have on this puppy :D

Chip, just wondering why you haven't considered perhaps posting any "follow-up" info with your own observations after using the S2411W for quite some time now...

As already noted above, I'd appreciate any comments, both positive and negative, that you may have on this puppy :D

Happy to do so, Traveller.

I can honestly say I have been *completely* delighted with it. It produces just stunning images, whether that be for surfing, editing photos with Photoshop (or whatever) or watching films - not that I do much of the latter.

Is it *perfect*? Well perhaps not. There is some colour/contrast shift when viewing at different angles and the left hand side is slightly brighter than the right. But to put this into context, both of these problems are very minor. If no-one had asked me to specifically check for these "problems", I would never have noticed them. Even knowing they exist, neither cause me even a moments distraction nor concern. Others might be more intolerant, but I am not remotely bothered and don't regard either of them as problems.

Other aspects of the display are just stunning. The black levels are tremendous (for an LCD) and there is zero bleedthrough so black screens really do look black.

I think the *only* thing that could put me off owning this screen is if I needed 720p capability, which I am not sure it has, although I don't have anything with a 720p output to test it with.

Someone asked to see what the backlight looks like, so here's two pictures - the first one showing what it really looks like and the second one overexposed to highlight any unevenness.

CIMG1497.jpg

CIMG1501.jpg

Cheers all

Chippy

If no-one had asked me to specifically check for these "problems", I would never have noticed them ... The black levels are tremendous (for an LCD) and there is zero bleedthrough so black screens really do look black...
Thx for the update :) I believe you because a lot of imperfections go unoticed in normal use and it's only when someone points it out that one notices it too. Unfortunately I tend to be a little neurotic (e.g. a la "Monk" ;)) at times and so I hope I will manage should I opt for the 2x11W, to view it from a neutral point of view :D

Yeah, your images prove the fact that S-PVA still rules when it comes to producing deep blacks. I don't know how crucial this is for proper color / brightness / contrast reproduction, but I can tell you that the grey-black of my P-MVA is not the coolest trait a panel can have... :(

On another note, I' surprised to see that Eizo's not buying into the wide-gamut frenzy, considering their just-announced 2431, 2441, etc. models are sticking to the current panel & backlighting options. Furthermore, they are trying to cater more towards the gaming / multimedia communities with HDMI, HDCP and proper aspect ratios and less attention is being paid to 10-bit LUTs or 14-bit internal processing, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a gamer / multimedia user too, but if I go wih an Eizo, it's primarily for their noted color fidelity and build quality, and not so much their PS3 compatibility (heck, I already have an FP241W for that purpose :p )

Hello,

could you guys give me a statement concerning the sharpness of text for the 2411?
Is the text absoluty sharp or a littlebit fuzzy?
Its an awesome display.

Thanks.

I nearly shat my pants with delight when I saw this. Anyone got any idea which panel is used from the samsung line? I'd like to know if there are any samsungs that use this panel but a slightly less horrifying bezel.

Back