Eizo Foris FS2333

It doesn't effect the native res, only when scaling, at least on my FS2331

If this is true for the FS2333 then I feel like a dummy after my rant. What you're saying does make sense though. But I still find text to be quite fuzzy... the same goes for Battlefield. Maybe that is the effect of playing with Smart resolution/insight? After all, it does sharpen stuff up in it's own way that is especially usefull in that game.

If this is true for the FS2333 then I feel like a dummy after my rant. What you're saying does make sense though. But I still find text to be quite fuzzy... the same goes for Battlefield. Maybe that is the effect of playing with Smart resolution/insight? After all, it does sharpen stuff up in it's own way that is especially usefull in that game.

The smoothing is only needed when scaling. User profiles also control what options are available at any time.
Turn off all that garbage for text and general use. That's why there is a 'smart' fast button on the remote. Honestly I keep mine at 55 brightness (140cd/m2) 50 contrast, 50 black level, everything else off or disabled. Standard OD setting. I then profile with i1 Pro. Perfect.

The smoothing is only needed when scaling. User profiles also control what options are available at any time.
Turn off all that garbage for text and general use. That's why there is a 'smart' fast button on the remote. Honestly I keep mine at 55 brightness (140cd/m2) 50 contrast, 50 black level, everything else off or disabled. Standard OD setting. I then profile with i1 Pro. Perfect.

Thanks for the responses. I have the same settings... except I have brightness full-out. Is there any way to measure the cd/m2 without a calibrator?

Also I got a question for the other owners of this monitor... look at the image below. I believe this phenomena is called IPS glow. I'm sure it's not backlight bleeding since it morphs when I switch viewing angle. Personally, I've only noticed it in video with black bars... it's not too bothering. Pics are taken with a black image set to full screen.

Is this normal for the FS2333, or IPS monitors in general? Or is this excessive?

http://i.imgur.com/yAH27Uy.jpg

That is 'tha glow' alright. This is pretty bad imo. Try leveling off the brightness and it should get better. You can probably use my estimations for a cd/m2 generalization. If 55 is 140 then you can work it out because 100 in the OSD is roughly 250cd/m2. 70 should be about 180-190cd/m2. Without a measuring puck it is kind of hard except for a general idea. Good thing about Eizo is it is fairly granular and exact. What are you wanting to target? 55 is pretty bright for me already don't be afraid to tone it down a bit. The glow will be a bit better.

That is 'tha glow' alright. This is pretty bad imo. Try leveling off the brightness and it should get better. You can probably use my estimations for a cd/m2 generalization. If 55 is 140 then you can work it out because 100 in the OSD is roughly 250cd/m2. 70 should be about 180-190cd/m2. Without a measuring puck it is kind of hard except for a general idea. Good thing about Eizo is it is fairly granular and exact. What are you wanting to target? 55 is pretty bright for me already don't be afraid to tone it down a bit. The glow will be a bit better.

I prefer to have full brightness, especially in games. 55 is just not enough for me. Could it be a defect that my monitor isn't as bright as it should be... is that common? I have no equipment to measure it.

I'm going to try your settings tonight when it's dark(er) and I'll post a pic again.

Last edited:
Alright, turning down the brightness about halves the IPS glow. Not gonna post pictures since it's negligible.

I found a guide that allows you to roughly estimate your luminance with a good camera. I used my gf her Canon and on full brightness it was 250 spot on. Like I said, it's a rough estimate, but I'm confident that I don't have broken backlight or something :)

Ok, I am NOT having good luck with this model. This panel is great except for some grey pixel clusters, several of them. After about a week of ownership, I noticed a multi-pixel sized grey region. Upon further inspection, I noticed three others, although not as prominent. Looking further, I noticed a few more, very faint grey spots. I don't know if these are new or if I just missed them because they are so faint. These spots apear on white, as well as other solid colored backgrounds.

I called Eizo support, and the tech was a bit confused about how to categorize these defects. Stuck? not really. Dead? Not really...

Sight. Another return, and B&H is out of stock again.

How good is contast and shadow detail on this screen? Ive been real tempted to get this monitor, and those two factors are the only ones that im unsure about. It seems to have around 1:800, and some other screens that im considering have around 1:1000, im not sure if thats gonna be a difference. In most other areas though this screen seems to come up ahead, such as color reproduction etc. currently have a 2209wa from dell, and very pleased with it. Been looking at the U2412m, and the asus PB238, but this screen seems to do better in everything but contrast, black level and shadow detail.

I have not performed an analysis with an actual calibration device, but black levels seem wonderful to me. I have not paid attention to shadow detail, though.

If you can get a good one, this is a wonderful monitor. True 8-bit IPS (PLS, whatever) without the grotesque anti-glare coating.

i am currently selling mine on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/221216439500?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

perfect condition just got it couple days ago. I like my 24inch 16:10 better 16:9 just don't work for me.

I saw that earlier, and based on wording of the auction, had wondered if someone here had posted it. Only thing that confuses me is the fact you bought it last week, yet can't return it? That must be a lousy place you bought it from with a terrible return policy.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How good is contast and shadow detail on this screen? Ive been real tempted to get this monitor, and those two factors are the only ones that im unsure about. It seems to have around 1:800, and some other screens that im considering have around 1:1000, im not sure if thats gonna be a difference. In most other areas though this screen seems to come up ahead, such as color reproduction etc. currently have a 2209wa from dell, and very pleased with it. Been looking at the U2412m, and the asus PB238, but this screen seems to do better in everything but contrast, black level and shadow detail.

My Foris after i1 pro calibration has a black level of 0.15 at 140cd/m2. Calibrated contrast is 940:1. It has 8-bit output but a 10-bit HW calibrate-able LUT with proper supported SW and puck. The semi-gloss coating helps with perceived black levels almost like a glossy. They seem velvety to me. In a dark room showing only a black image the IPS glow is pretty strong but in general use and gaming not noticeable to me. And better than Dell U2311 and u2410. Shadow detail is impressive as usually things get crushed when you get to .15 on a IPS but it does a great job on the lagom tests. All white is seen and all but #1 on black level is perceptible. But I use absolute black on my profiling not relative. Pictures look amazing. Great for amateur photo work. I am a please flawless owner. Or at least not bothered by any impurities. Someone should get that ebay one is it has been vetted by seller already. Especially hearing of some less than stellar units.

After a week of use I started to notice some yellow/brownish vertical strokes around the center of my monitor. Imagine someone with filthy hands running his fingers down your panel. It took some training to see and only after pointing it out to others, they could see it too. That's why I didn't notice it at the first few hours. Not an issue during games and movies, but annoying while browsing or doing office related work.

I contacted Eizo, and even though I had a hard time describing my problem, they insisted on sending me a brand new one! It was shipped the same day. Talk about service :)

For people wondering about their service: I'm from the Netherlands and their service center is third party, located in Germany. I believe they handle all the service for the professional models as well... that means no-bullshit RMA handling since they have a reputation to keep. It's great to see they give their low-end/consumer market the same professional service.

Last edited:
By the way, does anyone know what type of IPS panel this is? I can't find any information about this whatsoever, since it's just called plain IPS everywhere... even on specs page on the Eizo site.

The only hint I got that it's AH-IPS is from the review that was posted in this thread way back: http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/recenze/test-23-monitoru-eizo-foris-fs2333-ips

I was never able to confirm if it was indeed AH-IPS. I can't read the review, so I don't know how they got this information.

PLS is just Samsung's version of IPS, so they're essentially the same thing. Samsung claims theirs is better, but you know how that goes.

How good is contast and shadow detail on this screen?

The shadow detail is great with the FS2333. The gamma is very close to 2.2 by default and it doesn't seem to be clipping the blacks or anything. I can see all the steps on Lagom monitor test, even if the darkest couple steps are very hard to see. I have a i1Display Pro calibrator and I only had to do minor adjustments to get the image to be essentially perfect without the need for ICC profiles. I'm a bit of a perfectionist for color accuracy and I'm very happy with how the FS2333 performs. I've had a couple NEC Multisync monitors in the past and I also have a Samsung s27b970d which is only a bit better on color accuracy, but has noticeably worse response time and input lag.

where would be the best place in Canada to order one of these? newegg doesnt carry it, amazon doesnt carry it, would I be best ordering from an american site? which site have people been ordering from?

where would be the best place in Canada to order one of these? newegg doesnt carry it, amazon doesnt carry it, would I be best ordering from an american site? which site have people been ordering from?

I don't know what the best place in Canada is, but you can find a few Canadian resellers on Eizo's reseller page. I've contacted one of these resellers, Megatech, in the past and they've been very helpful with questions and quotes.

I am really tempted by one of these to switch from my 120hz ASUS for my gaming monitor.

Does anyone have any experience with competitive CS:GO with this monitor? How does it stack up?

How many people are competitive CS gamers? You may be bumping for a long time. Fnatic helped consult on this and seem to use it. Otherwise a 60Hz IPS wont probably beat a 120Hz 1ms TN unless the company that made the TN sucks. At least speed and ghosting wise. The Foris is the fastest 60Hz IPS varient you can get but it is NOT the fastest gaming monitor you can buy. It is somewhere in between. I did notice my game and enjoyment step up. But I came from a 6ms AS-IPS not a 120Hz TN. The response is super fast but the pixels do blur with really quick 180º "flick" turns.

The pixels still blur at 120Hz with really fast movements. I really need to test one of these for myself, but thanks for the comments anyway,

I have a question for you: Considering that every year, in june, eizo announces the new model, would you buy the fs2333 or would you rather wait for the new model?

I have a question for you: Considering that every year, in june, eizo announces the new model, would you buy the fs2333 or would you rather wait for the new model?

I would wait and see what is announced. It is usually the 14th or 15th of June so only about three weeks away.

I would wait and see what is announced. It is usually the 14th or 15th of June so only about three weeks away.

yep, but you also have to consider that the new model usually won't be available until september or october...

yep, but you also have to consider that the new model usually won't be available until september or october...

Yeah that is true, although I would assume a newer model would be slightly better than the FS2333 and I would personally wait and see what they announce.

I've just found one of these to test.
I'm using a Spyder4 Pro calibrator and these are the results:

gamut (purple is argb, green srgb, red the monitor): https://www.dropbox.com/s/rctmpsq5ncmf3py/gamut.PNG

gamma: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rd2qb87z5jw3v5u/gamma.PNG

contrast ("luminosità" is "brightness", "nero" is "black", "punto bianco" is "white point"): https://www.dropbox.com/s/vold4edhf3d9vmb/contrasto.PNG

As you can see, gamut and gamma are very good, while the contrast is really poor.
There is something worng in this panel or I have to adjust something?
I'm under an AMD videocard and pixel format is YCbCr 4:4:4 (I've also tested Full RGB, same contrast but gamma was 2.5). I've tested this monitor under HDMI and DVI.
Monitor settings: User1, Black Level 50, Contrast 50, Saturation 0, Hue 0, Gamma 2.2, Enhanced Contrast OFF, Overdrive Standard, Smart things: all disabled.

Thank you all!

I've just found one of these to test.
I'm using a Spyder4 Pro calibrator and these are the results:

gamut (purple is argb, green srgb, red the monitor): https://www.dropbox.com/s/rctmpsq5ncmf3py/gamut.PNG

gamma: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rd2qb87z5jw3v5u/gamma.PNG

contrast ("luminosità" is "brightness", "nero" is "black", "punto bianco" is "white point"): https://www.dropbox.com/s/vold4edhf3d9vmb/contrasto.PNG

As you can see, gamut and gamma are very good, while the contrast is really poor.
There is something worng in this panel or I have to adjust something?
I'm under an AMD videocard and pixel format is YCbCr 4:4:4 (I've also tested Full RGB, same contrast but gamma was 2.5). I've tested this monitor under HDMI and DVI.
Monitor settings: User1, Black Level 50, Contrast 50, Saturation 0, Hue 0, Gamma 2.2, Enhanced Contrast OFF, Overdrive Standard, Smart things: all disabled.

Thank you all!

Must be something wrong with your measurment. Are you using HDMI? There is a problem with using HDMI on Nvidia cards and black levels. When i tested a Dell S2340L via HDMI the picture was washed out with a very poor black. Had to use a program to correct the black levels.

My Foris after i1 pro calibration has a black level of 0.15 at 140cd/m2. Calibrated contrast is 940:1. It has 8-bit output but a 10-bit HW calibrate-able LUT with proper supported SW and puck. The semi-gloss coating helps with perceived black levels almost like a glossy. They seem velvety to me. In a dark room showing only a black image the IPS glow is pretty strong but in general use and gaming not noticeable to me. And better than Dell U2311 and u2410. Shadow detail is impressive as usually things get crushed when you get to .15 on a IPS but it does a great job on the lagom tests. All white is seen and all but #1 on black level is perceptible. But I use absolute black on my profiling not relative. Pictures look amazing. Great for amateur photo work. I am a please flawless owner. Or at least not bothered by any impurities. Someone should get that ebay one is it has been vetted by seller already. Especially hearing of some less than stellar units.

Thanks for this information. I will buy one and test how this semi-gloss coating is compared to my glossy Dell ST2220T. Everything else about the monitor seems great.

Must be something wrong with your measurment. Are you using HDMI? There is a problem with using HDMI on Nvidia cards and black levels.

As I said in the previous post, I've tried HDMI and DVI. No differences in the measurement.
Moreover, I'm using Ati/Amd cards.

I really don't know what it could be!

As I said in the previous post, I've tried HDMI and DVI. No differences in the measurement.
Moreover, I'm using Ati/Amd cards.

I really don't know what it could be!

The bad revision perhaps? One of the test sites had an earlier one that only got 700:1 or something. My Spyder3 is terribly inaccurate. Have you checked the Spyder 4's reliability? Otherwise you have my same settings. What SW are you using to profile? Have you measured default profile for contrast?

The bad revision perhaps? One of the test sites had an earlier one that only got 700:1 or something. My Spyder3 is terribly inaccurate. Have you checked the Spyder 4's reliability? Otherwise you have my same settings. What SW are you using to profile? Have you measured default profile for contrast?

I've not checked the Spyder 4's reliability, but I've used it also to test my 5 years old dying ccfl tn monitor and in that test the spyder4 gives me a contrast of 600:1 (which is plausible).
The sw that I've used is the sw in bundle with spyder4 pro: do you have any other sw to suggest me?

I've test the monitor in many conditions: with enhanced contrast on, with black level set to 0, with contrast set to 0, 50, 100, with overdrive set to standard or enhanced, with full RGB 4:4:4 and YCbCr 4:4:4, user1/user2/sRGB profiles, and so on.

BTW, thank you for your answer!

You could try the demo of ColorEyes Pro. 1st few profiles are free. I think it is 15 or 30 day trial. I use it on OS X and Win7. 2.2 Gamma, 6500K, Absolute black level, 140cd/m2 target. Brightness of OSD at 55. 140 result with 0.149 black level. 939:1 contrast ratio. I profile in total darkness or as close to it as possible. I use Xrite i1 Pro for puck.

You could try the demo of ColorEyes Pro. 1st few profiles are free. I think it is 15 or 30 day trial. I use it on OS X and Win7. 2.2 Gamma, 6500K, Absolute black level, 140cd/m2 target. Brightness of OSD at 55. 140 result with 0.149 black level. 939:1 contrast ratio. I profile in total darkness or as close to it as possible. I use Xrite i1 Pro for puck.

This is the result:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/amllnfarnl5py3b/Eizo_hdmi.PNG

:( :( :(

Edit: I forgot to link the deltaE result but with brightness set to 50 (120cd/m2)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4d9hc029uyz6dvq/dE_120cd.PNG

That is really bad.
Here is mine from some months ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxm83hz7wxl4b8t/Screen shot 2012-12-13 at 12.55.02 PM.png
Notice everything is >1de. The sensor looks bad imo. If this is what you get each time. I had a Spyder 3 go out like that with obscene values. Did you go through the white balance setup first by chance? Not sure if that would change it to be much better as it has more to do with color not greyscale. Did you choose Spyder 4 in the menu? I would think you have to to get it work at all. Get a new puck on the screen if you can.

Although hardly a super accurate way to test, how does your eyeball sensor read the black levels?

When compared to your dying TN, is the 2333 basically the same as to contrast + blacks, just based on how they look? If so, it may not be the calibrator, but perhaps you got a bad revision there.

Back