• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

EIZO Foris 2333 - advice needed

Lukas026

n00b
Joined
Jan 5, 2013
Messages
4
Hello there

I bought EIZO Foris 2333 today and it will be shipping in in next few days. I am total display amateur and I bought it based on good reviews and experiences on the internet. In fact I have a couple of questions and if that's not a problem I would like to ask you to help me out.

1) What preset mode should I use for best image quality in games / movies ? I mean I am not a professional gamer I just want the best colors and details available. I understand there there are some modes in which you can't change settings (Eco / sRGB / Paper) and some which you can (User 1, User 2).

2) If I should use User 1 / 2 mode, what setting should I touch and what values should I set to get most of my monitor ? I mean things like contrast / brigthness / color temperature / smart functions etc. ?

3) Is there any drivers needed for coreect function of Foris 2333 on Windows 7 ?

4) I saw EIZO provieded some ICC profile on their download page for my monitor. I honestly don't know much about this ? I mean what should I do with it and is it even necessery to use it ? If yes can you tell me how and what it will make at all ?

5) Is there anything else I should do with my monitor to get better quality ? I saw a lot ppl talking about calibration but I realy don't know what exactly hat is and also I don't have any equipment for it.

Things what I would do now with monitor (without knowladge from your answer): connect monitor -> set sRGB mode (ECO is deafult) -> start playing games :) Noobish I know...

I would like to say one more time, that I am not hardcore gamer. BEST image quality is my main goal and also I am playing only the games like Skyrim / Witcher 2 / Crysis / Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3.

Thank you for your help and support.

It's much appreciated.

Lukas

PS: Sorry for my English. I am not a native speaker so it must be terrible to read it...
 
Your English is fine, no sweat :)

1) This is really up to you. sRGB should be the closest to the sRGB standard that you can get from the display without calibrating it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRGB

sRGB basically is the standard used by the people that make content for computers.

As such, if you have an accurate sRGB screen, the red and white etc on this forum will look the same as any other accurate sRGB screen. Like having a common standard.

However, User1 and 2 come from having different lighting conditions for example, if you are using Tungsten lighting for example then the background lighting will be very blue compared to the sRGB standard. And also, sometimes people want to tweak stuff themselves. Just because someone says that a monitor should look a certain way doesn't mean it suits you.

Select the one you are happy with!

2) This is again up to you :) I would adjust till you see white as being white, and then go from there. But this is only my 2 cents :)

3) Drivers should be downloaded automatically if you are using W7, if not they can probably be downloaded or found on a CD, if you get one with the screen. You are not required to have drivers to get the screen to operate properly thought.

4) An ICC profile is a step beyond colour tweaking, If you have a monitor in situ, and have someone hardware calibrate it with a meter, the software usually makes an ICC profile. It basically alters the colour output by the system to make it so that the end result coming from the screen is as it is intended to be. They are basically per screen, so you may make yours worse (slightly) by installing a "generic" ICC profile, as it was not make specifically for your screen.

5) Make sure you use a good quality DVI cable, and make sure you turn smart insight off. A good few people see it as a gimmick, and has no real long term use.

Have fun with your screen, they are meant to be pretty good :)
 
Thanks for the reply...keep them coming :)

In fact I have another few:

6) I read on some review that it's best to use User 1 profile with optional settings (brightness / gamma / etc.) defined by user like you said BUT also with all the SMART functions turned OFF and only the overdrive left on standard ? Is that true ? I mean is it realy better for image quality to turn all smart functions off ?

7) I read that when you change to sRGB preset you can't modify smart functions anymore ? Does that mean that they are ALL turned off in this preset ?

Ty
 
I guess that means they locked down the sRGB profile then. IMO it is best with all the enhancements off, I would say that the Smart Insight for example seems to make the games look a little washed out as it increases the visibility of the dark scenes so much.

Also the overdrive settings can be a little tricky. Overdrive is meant to increase the pixel response time, but if it is too aggressive you get what you call overshoot, where you move the pixel too far from the old colour to the new colour. This can also cause visual artifacts etc, so leaving it at a normal setting (overdrive on, but not max overdrive) is best.

My screen has something called tracefree, it goes from 0 to 100 in 20 steps. 40 and 60 are the best ones, least overshoot, best response times. (I run at 40 for reference, but notice no difference from 40 to 60).
 
Back
Top