• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

EIZO EV2436 - removing AG coating ?

rulzmaker

n00b
Joined
Dec 11, 2013
Messages
9
I just bought EIZO EV2436 and am fairly satisfied, but the sparkling effect is somewhat annoying...

I feel that removing the AG coating would make it just perfect.

Has anyone done it for EIZO ?

I know you have to be careful when it's done and clean it only gently and when the LCD is cold...
But is that it?
That's not a big deal :p

I've seen many posts of anti-glare removement for DELL, but no long term reports.

I'll be getting a cheap $20 LCD to practice and see results... but that will be TN display...

Does taking the coating off really help with the crystalline effect ?

I have sunblind on my window so I don't care about reflections.

Who the hell would be working in a direct sun shine anyway ;)
 
The AG coating causes the crystalline effect but removing it will void the warranty and removing the coating is risky. Since there are plenty of similar performing 24" 1200p monitors with lighter matte coatings there is absolutely no point in removing the coating. Return the monitor and get a

Asus PB248QE (matte coating is lighter than the Eizo's)
Asus PA249Q (semi-glossy)
BenQ BL2411PT (matte coating is lighter than the Eizo's)
HP Z24i (semi-glossy, may have cross-hatching issues)
Samsung S24A850D (semi-glossy, back-light bleeding is common)

this thread has review links

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1776113

There are also plenty of very good glossy and semi-glossy 27" 2560x1440 monitors available from ebay & monoprice which are similarly priced with the EV2436W.
 
Last edited:
That's also an idea...

Asus PB248QE (matte coating is lighter than the Eizo's)
Asus PA249Q (semi-glossy)
Asus have high pitched noise issue... source (notice ASUS reply) and other review mentioned it...
Great that the PA249Q is 20kHz PWM, but the noise is just not good... I am not going through this process.

BenQ BL2411PT (matte coating is lighter than the Eizo's)
BenQ...

HP Z24i (semi-glossy, may have cross-hatching issues)
I've had ZR2440w and it flickered badly to my eyes..
HP never again.

Samsung S24A850D (semi-glossy, back-light bleeding is common)
Great, but they don't sell anymore... the back-light bleeding was awful and caused color uniformity distortions

27" are too big... I am used to 19", you know.
---------
I also had NEC P242W, which was great, but also very noisy when I turned it on... I found 4 more people with this issue...

You say plenty choices, I see almost none, and it was not easy to get me fairly contented as I am today :)

Warranty void is not a big deal... nothing performs like glossy monitor.

If these are all the drawbacks it's fine.
I just hope the screen will not get severely sensitive... that's what I am concerned about.
 
The HP Z24i does not use LED PWM Dimming while the ZR2440W has a 430hz PWM Frequency. What is wrong with BenQ? The BL2411PT is one of the best 24" 1200p monitors.

Any monitor can be noisy, maybe choosing to sit in silence is not the best course of action considering the fact that many monitors are noisy and noise bothers you...

27" 16:9 monitors size is very similar (only slightly bigger) to 24" 16:10 monitors and you could simply sit further way.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5336/9112859399_7a641ebff5_o.jpg

http://www.displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-24-inch-16x10

There are plenty of glossy PWM free/super high frequency 1440p choices like the Crossover AMG series, Crossover 2720MDP (PWM Free), Crossover 2730MD (PWM Free)...
 
Last edited:
Any monitor can be noisy, maybe choosing to sit in silence is not the best course of action considering the fact that many monitors are noisy and noise bothers you...
:-D haha... it's 3 am right now... I am programmer, work alone and my computer is completely fanless.

There are basically no choices, because all have AG coating...

BenQ is good, but average good. I just read review for BL2411PT... it's average.

I considered EIZO CX series, awesome colors and black contrast, but they all use fan inside... need to find out how annoying that would be...

NEC PA242W looks so great, but that noise just bothers me... I am still waiting for official NEC to respond, but I highly doubt this to be a solitary issue.

27" are interesting choice, but I have doubts I cannot define....

Moreover current EIZO EV2436 is pretty good, no PWM above 25% brightness, at 1% brightness the screen is almost black, I have not seen other screens to go so low in brightness... I also like the paper mode a lot... somewhat average AG coating is my only complain (ZR2440W was worse)....

Imagine EV2436 glossy ($600)... how perfect can life go? :)
 
You won't find anyone who has removed the coating since it is 100% illogical considering the alternatives. If you are working alone why not listen to music?

For programming the BL2411PT is better than the EV2436W since it has a lighter matte coating and is completely PWM free which is a big advantage for those who like very dim monitors.

The EV2436W is extremely overpriced since it is basically a PWM free Dell U2412 (250$). 27" 2560x1440 monitors offer far more screen real-estate which could be very useful for programming.

700$ buys a Viewsonic VP2770 or BenQ BL2710PT (36cdm/2 minimum brightness) both of which have semi-glossy coatings and are completely PWM Free or 2x PWM Free Korean Monitors from ebay like the Crossover 2735AMG. Planar and iiyama sell Crossover AMG series equivalents if you want a proper warranty, but both have a high minimum brightness (160-170cdm/2):

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1786709&highlight=

600$ also buys 3x PWM Free Dell P2414's (TFT Central has a review) which also has a lighter matte coating or 2x BenQ BL2411PT's...

Anyway I tried...
 
Last edited:
:-D haha... it's 3 am right now... I am programmer, work alone and my computer is completely fanless.

There are basically no choices, because all have AG coating...

BenQ is good, but average good. I just read review for BL2411PT... it's average.

I considered EIZO CX series, awesome colors and black contrast, but they all use fan inside... need to find out how annoying that would be...

NEC PA242W looks so great, but that noise just bothers me... I am still waiting for official NEC to respond, but I highly doubt this to be a solitary issue.

27" are interesting choice, but I have doubts I cannot define....

Moreover current EIZO EV2436 is pretty good, no PWM above 25% brightness, at 1% brightness the screen is almost black, I have not seen other screens to go so low in brightness... I also like the paper mode a lot... somewhat average AG coating is my only complain (ZR2440W was worse)....

Imagine EV2436 glossy ($600)... how perfect can life go? :)

I have the CX240, you probably wouldn't like the noise...
 
Thanks for the heads up.... old 17" TN is already soaking in water... it was disappointingly easy to take apart... I was very careless and left one corner dry, later to check how sensitive the polarizer is... will keep posted.

Also I found this screen protector, which is probably going to fit just great after I am done with EIZO...
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
OK, I practiced on 17" TN (LG)... it took 10 minutes of work... and I waited 2 hours for the coating to soak in... the corner I left dry, of course, couldn't be taken off... I waited just 30 more minutes and then pulled it off... some glue remained...
The screen was put on my carpet, I didn't care for gentle cloth etc.... my fingerprints were all over the screen, so I just took some water and rough towel... it didn't do any damaged whatsover.
Seems not sensitive at all...
I am touching the screen right now, it's warm... nothing...

This is TN display, I am sure the S-IPS may be different, so I will be careful..

I don't notice any difference in text reading or whites... but it just feels alive! I mean, ALIVE :) ... edit: sooo alllliiiivve... =)

It's definitely going to be an improvement if only the contrast and colors change... but hopefully the crystalline effect, and flickering feel with it, goes away too...
 
Last edited:
Removing the coating will not effect the "flicker," especially if you have the brightness set below 20%...maybe your room lighting is flickering...

It's not to late to use logic.
 
When I took my digital camera I could see on its display that flickering began below ~25% brightness... above 25% it appeared suddenly constant... all reviews just confirm this.
So, the flickering feel is definitely caused (or multiplied) by crystalline effect as it gets more intense on whites... all reviews say this is caused by the coating... so I am getting even more excited :) :)

I appreciate your care NCX.. I realize it's irreversible thing to do, so if you know any other drawbacks except careful cleaning, glare on sun, warranty void (and that's it) let me know.
 
Voiding a 5 year warranty on a 600$ monitor should be enough to dissuade you when there are plenty of other options...besides have you ever used a glossy monitor for long periods of time? You might hate it...maybe try picking up a sub 150$ glossy, pwm free Acer H226HL or S236HL first to see if you like it.

Acer H226 (23" uses PWM)
http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/recenze/acer-h226hql-barevne-verny-jemny-levny-leskly-ips-bez-pwm-test

Acer S236HLtmjj
http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/5731..._i_testirovanie_monitora_Acer_S236HLtmjj.html

You are letting Eizo win by voiding your monitors warranty for a display they have no business selling for such a high price.
 
Last edited:
There's no need for that... I will be using this glossy 17" LG as my second screen for few days, but I can already tell that EIZO is about to shine in its glory... it just feels soooo..... ;-)
 
Why this bitterness about EIZO's price policy? It's not overpriced, it's an investment to their growth and more quality LCD's, which they offer, eg. CG246 -- BenQ doesn't compare..
I love the way it looks and performs, and I value their work.
None of my LCD's ever broke during warranty, it can happen, but it's a situation I can deal with... I don't understand why some people calculate how much warranty years they receive, accurate pricing, all they get, if it really pays of etc... just get what you want, and then deal with the rest. Happiness doesn't come with compromises.
 
After 2 days of using both...
The glossy display feels clear and clean,
during day (not night) it was like a mirror as I could see myself in it on dark backgrounds, which is suprising, because my room is fairly dim.
Looking at pictures and seing it on glossy LCD vs matt... looks alive vs looks real.

What's important, comparing to EIZO there's no or little visible difference in text reading... in fact I think it has not changed at all on LG after the coating removal..
only the white areas look clearer compared to EIZO... but that's it.
Perceived flickering, when looking at text on whites, remained at both.

So, I cooled off... the difference seems small and benefits are lower than drawbacks :rolleyes:
 
Hah, that's an interesting turn of events. To me, one of the main advantages of LCD's is in fact the anti-glare... it's way more effective than what we had in the CRT days. Who wants to look at themselves over everything they do? If done right, you don't even notice it and it helps greatly to increase daytime contrast and remove annoying reflections.
 
Hah, that's an interesting turn of events. To me, one of the main advantages of LCD's is in fact the anti-glare... it's way more effective than what we had in the CRT days. Who wants to look at themselves over everything they do? If done right, you don't even notice it and it helps greatly to increase daytime contrast and remove annoying reflections.


Both types of surface have their place. If people are in bright surroundings and can't control glare/reflections then I like an AG surface. If I can control environment I like the clean surface. The the photo below (it was going around in 2007 when I bought my NEC SIPS) shows differences. The person taking photo was trying to highlight the reflection problem and flashed directly into the gloss panel. What he also captured was the deadened image on the AG display. The glossy is so much more vibrant and detailed because it didn't have a rough film over the image. For things like photos I don't like AG film. In an office or outdoors I like the AG. For games I'm not sure it matters because most of them aren't the graphics masterpieces we like to think they can be. Crysis was mostly just green plants and dirt lol

G1jQH3S.jpg
 
I had 2 LCD's with AG (TN & IPS) and I never found them to be "deadened, grainy, muddy" or anything that people use to describe them. Not even compared to my glass CRT. Of course the IPS had better colors, but that mostly boils down to gamut and brightness. Since most LCD today successfully cover 100% sRGB (antiglare or no), the only thing left is brightness which the IPS also had in spades. So, the anti-glare didn't really take away anything from the image (that I could notice), and the lack of reflections was a huge plus in my book. But, preferences and all that.
 
I have removed the Ag once and I hope I will never have to do that again. Just live with it or get another display.
 
Back
Top