Either I'm maturing or don't have a real appetite..

I recall when there was no 3d and then when a 3d card had 4megs on it and you still paid $300+ and a huge HDD was 1 gig and a big upgrade was from 32 to 128 megs of system RAM

Heh! That was only 11 years ago, give or take a year. Those were good times.

f you've played Red Alert, you've already played World in Conflict... etc..etc...etc...

Ok now I must stop you here. Either you are talking out of your ass or you haven't played both of these games.

Why is World In Conflict being praised? Not because of it's Red Alert mimicking abilities, but because it is the first fresh RTS to be released in a long time. The game play style is very unique and the only comparison it can be made too is Ground Control, which it is not.

Red Alert: One of the best RTS's ever made. Gather resources, build, train, destroy while maintaining your base.

WiC: Very innovative and easily one of the best in the Genre. Skip resources, get in and destroy, work with a good team and dominate.

I like practically the same games you also like ;). Everyone check out urban terror. Its an addictive free fps game you will all enjoy. Been playing it since the dawn of its birth practically :)

http://www.urbanterror.net

Urban Terror could best be described as a Hollywood tactical shooter; it is realism based to a certain extent (environments/weapons/player models), but also goes by the motto "fun over realism" (fast gameplay and lots of action). This combination of reality and action results in a very unique, enjoyable and addictive game.

Hell no! $60 per game sounds like taking it in the ass w/a sandpaper dildo to me. I like to pay $39 or less for a great new game, which 9 times out of 10 I'll play for less than a total of an hour anyway.

Also, mouse + keyboard is without a doubt the superior method of control when it comes to MOST FPS games, haven't heard anybody saying they've gotten Halo 3 on 360 to work well under mouse + KB control, is that a simple thing to do?

I loved Doom, Doom II, Duke Nukem 3D... Unreal was cool, loved the Heroes of Might & Magic games. Quake 1, 2, and 3 were fun. I LOVED "VQuake" - a special version of Quake 1 for the Verite V1000 graphics card which was one of the first games to really take advantage of AA.

I LOVED Tekken (ALL of them except Tekken 4), I played NHL on SEGA Genesis enough to WEAR OUT at LEAST 3 controllers. I loved Street Fighter II on Genesis.

Wipeout XL was fricken awesome on Playstation.

Gran Turismo (whatver version it was) on PS2 rocked, played that until I got my Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 fully modded.

Loved the Soul Calibur series of games.

And, I played all the way through countless old RPG games many years ago: Bard's Tale, Wizardy, Ultima, Pantasie, Shard of something or other, Might & Magic, and many others...

The most recent game that I have really gotten into and kept playing is the Quake 3 mod Urban Terror (free download, now even in a stand alone version that doesn't require Quake 3). I've tried a lot of other games including F.E.A.R., Prey, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Crysis (demo), Oblivion, etc. etc. And while many of those games are pretty cool, and most have graphics ranging from superior to vastly superior, they just weren't as fun for the long haul. Oh ~ now I remember I played Call Of Duty for about 3 - 4 hours, fairly fun...

WoW was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever experienced gaming. The lack of AA in Halo 3 makes it almost ugly. The fact that you can't see WHERE you've hit somebody when you shoot them in Crysis is a big disappointments, but other than that annoyance, I think Crysis looks like it will be one of the first games in a long time (other than S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) that might be a lot of fun - I'll have to get a hold of a sniper rifle in those games before I can make a final judgment, is there a cheat code so I can try it in the demo?

It's upsetting that you don't see game prices come down with the quantities being sold going up, as you would with ANY OTHER PRODUCT. Too many times I've blow $50 (sometimes less) on a game 'cause I got sucked in by a pretty box, some hype, and maybe a good review or two only to find that the game just isn't as FUN as a lot of old games were. Part of that is me getting older, having less time to devote to games, but, a large part of it is the commercialization / big corporate greed for profit turning out mediocre games that mostly just look nice to make more $$$.

I like practically the same games you also like ;). Everyone check out urban terror. Its an addictive free fps game you will all enjoy. Been playing it since the dawn of its birth practically :)

http://www.urbanterror.net

Urban Terror could best be described as a Hollywood tactical shooter; it is realism based to a certain extent (environments/weapons/player models), but also goes by the motto "fun over realism" (fast gameplay and lots of action). This combination of reality and action results in a very unique, enjoyable and addictive game.

So basically Counter Strike? :p

So basically Counter Strike? :p

Its like quake 3 with counter strike like guns but a full blown full conversion of the game. It uses basically just the engine now of quake 3 and that alone so we wouldn't need keys :) Its really fun once you start getting into it. Its just a game you gotta try since my words can't really do justice lol;)

I do remember playing Urban Terror now that I think about it. It was a great little mod but when it came down to it I prefer playing CSS or Quake 3 itself. But if its standalone then that would make it all the better.

I don't know how old you guys are. But I maybe the old one here 48. And I have my own business that lets me play when I want. I don't get bored. It just keeps her out of my hair. I get tired of lets go to diner or the movies. Even shopping. This is where I have fun. Games and pc's.:D

I don't know how old you guys are. But I maybe the old one here 48. And I have my own business that lets me play when I want. I don't get bored. It just keeps her out of my hair. I get tired of lets go to diner or the movies. Even shopping. This is where I have fun. Games and pc's.:D

What games are keeping your attention?

OK long post here....

I have been gaming since some fo you were crapping your diapers ie:
I recall when there was no 3d and then when a 3d card had 4megs on it and you still paid $300+ and a huge HDD was 1 gig and a big upgrade was from 32 to 128 megs of system RAM and it brought out all these new sound channels on Descent
I'm now 42
Here's my take
Gaming at first is so cool and novel, and there are those first times when it seems like you will always remember, you know the first easter egg you find in a game, or the first real skill/headshot from some insane distance while running or going for 1/2 hour of DM w/o dying and also finishing in first place.
All the really cool moments we play games for.
As time goes by and youv've played 40-50 or even 100's of games your wow meter starts to wear out, you've seen and done that, etc.

And yes theres the whole online community, comraderie etc...(WOW doesn't count, that game should be outlawed) but that's another thread why real interaction is better for you and the world, etc.

In any case, here's what happens as much as it saddens me to say it, the games are looking better, sounding better, and costing now into the millions $ to develop.Take UT3 for example.
But, are they really any better, or for that matter AS good as some of the old classics? Not really, it's alot like movies now, theres tons more but 90% of them suck. Remember we are an entertainment based economy, and games are bigger $ than even movies or pro sports now so keep that in mind that the $ is the real reason games are made and making "good games" is secondary or even lower on the priority list to companies like EA.

I was right where you are, and felt like "where's the thrill, the anticipation of the new game, or the I can't wait to play feeling" So, here's what I think.

1.If the games aren't "doing it" for you anymore it's because it is "just a game",
in reality is anyone really proud that they finished XXX game, or 1000 games?
What does it really add up to except 100's to1000's of hours that are, and I truly am hating to say this because I love PC gaming, wasted.
I don't mean ashamed you did it wasted, I mean like watching some rerun you've seen already 4 other times and still watching it, wasted time. It doesn't really mean anything or actually have a valuie, except on some selfish "I was entertained" way.
Just because you beat some game or scored higher than someone or some other clan really doesn't mean shiz in the big picture. (And no I am not some burnt old dude that doesn't know what hardcore gaming is, see above. I know the thrill of victory, or the feeling you get when it's suddenly dawn and you thought just one more level.)
2. Ask yourself what in real life you're not doing, a GF or wife, a job/carrer that will actually allow you to have a house, go to Hawaii or Thailand 2-3 times year, buy the cool car you want. I'm saying from personal experience that if I counted the hours gaming, I could have a doctorate degree in business, or be a lawyer, or be able to have an extra $200K in the bank from some part time job.
3. I'm not saying that the games themselves are a waste of time, but that TOO much time is wasted gaming, if that makes sense.
4. my take is now to play the 2-3 best games of the year, and maybe only spend 100 hours a year gaming, not 100 a month. Overall it has worked wonders for helping me appreciate gaming again.

anyways end of rant
=)

You nailed it...then again I'm 43. Stage of life thing I guess. I find that other things that used to get me going don't do it as much anymore, like I used to be real into music. I used to play the guitar a lot.

The novelty has worn off and new stuff isn't really all that new, it just looks different. And to those that say "hey why don't you try a RTS or some other genre", for me, I was always into a specific subset of games for a reason. FPS felt like "I was there". RTS type stuff just seems like a business application by comparison to me.

As to your point about wasting time...well I dunno if I agree with it completely. People tend to head towards wherever they are naturally inclined to head is my feeling. In other words, if you were gonna get a law degree back then instead of gaming, you probably would have, etc. People can think about a lot more things than they can actually do when you get right down to it.

That all being said, I fired up the Crysis demo last night...but I was kinda tired and just had a drink and watched hockey instead. :D (plus it looked kinda crappy on my old vid card)

Back