• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Eheim 1250 or MCP650?

jeece

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 27, 2004
Messages
316
I know, they're quite different. Let me explain.

Well, I already have the Eheim 1250 (bought along other WC stuff) for my future (and first) WC setup, but I could consider to buy a used Swiftech MCP650 instead. A 12V-powered pump is very tempting, less wiring to struggle with.

I've seen both specs, the Swiftech looks a better performer "on paper" (well, on screen). But I know that too much flow isn't always better, plus my major concern is noise before temps (though I want to improve that too). Also, I don't plan to reach 4ghz with my Mobile 2600+.

I won't have a big loop:
DD TDX
Single 120mm heatercore
Reservoir
Maybe a northbridge block later
No GPU or HD block nor 4x120 rads

Should I stick with the Eheim or ditch it? Is the MCP650 too much for what I need? What are your experiences with both of these pumps? (noise, troubles...)

Thank y'all guys (and girls)
 
If You ask me 1250 was allways overkill for My systems.
Friend of mine have had allways smaller systems with 1048 and and BIE and His temps where never so much higher then mine.





MD
 
If youre thinking about the D5 for its 12v ability, you could just get a $25 relay & be fine. The 1250 will almost assuredly be quieter than the D5, and you wouldnt see too much better flow through your (fairly) unrestrictive loop.

BTW, if you can fit an NB block on your mobo, you can probably fit a passive heatsink that will work just fine with average airflow.
 
ikellensbro said:
If youre thinking about the D5 for its 12v ability, you could just get a $25 relay & be fine. The 1250 will almost assuredly be quieter than the D5, and you wouldnt see too much better flow through your (fairly) unrestrictive loop.

BTW, if you can fit an NB block on your mobo, you can probably fit a passive heatsink that will work just fine with average airflow.


Agreed, just keep the 1250.
 
I was faced with the issue of upgrading my eheim 1250 too, mostly for performance reasons. After reading some charts on flow vs. delta t and estimating my flow and potential drop with my new w/c system, and the potential gain with a new pump, I concluded that the difference would be in the order of 1-2C for the cpu.

1-2C is not worth a $70 pump imho, but hey, it is to some people :).
 
the 1250 is fine, not worth the trouble, money, and small difference in performance
 
ikellensbro said:
you could just get a $25 relay & be fine.

Already got one. It's mostly for cable management that I'd prefer 12V. A huge spliced power cord isn't that good-looking in a case. I'll try and build an acrylic enclosure around the pump/relay area (bottom back or bottom center of case).

ikellensbro said:
BTW, if you can fit an NB block on your mobo, you can probably fit a passive heatsink that will work just fine with average airflow.

Yup, I got a NiB Zalman NB Heatsink... Had it for months. I should move myself and install already, though my A7N8X-E is already passively cooled... NB runs at 34 celcius though.

As for airflow... Here's what I planned so far, but I never really got into it yet (building a dummy, etc), maybe it wont work at all due to space issues. Here's the general idea:

I'll have a 120mm fan cooling the single 120mm rad in bottom front of the case. I'll try to cover the bottom area of the case with a kind of acrylic shroud that'll go the whole lenght of the case (with holes/slots for tubing). This shroud will have 2 sides, one that'll go over the mb's PCI slots and another one on top. It wont be quite hermetic but most of the "hot" air from the rad should pass through and exit through the case's removed PCI slots in the back. Maybe I'll add another fan back there as well.

To cool the 2nd story, I have a bunch of 80mm Panaflo low lying around... I'll test multiple setup, I haven't really thought about it yet... Front intake, back exhaust, top blowhole... Side-panel blowhole... :confused:

The HD's are gonna be in upper 5½ bays btw.

I'll stop working 7 days/week soon, so I'll have more time to mod now that the stuff (most of, anyways) is bought and paid for. :cool:
 
Back
Top