EGM confirms FFVII remakeq

NulloModo

Supreme [H]ardness
In the June issue of EGM they more or less say that a FFVII remake is coming, do you believe it?

Actually, no. They didn't say it wasn't true, they said they didn't make any announcement. And this is the second time EGM has made this claim, so one wonders what makes them so sure.

I think a FFVII remake would be significantly less popular than some people think. When it comes to down to it, I think many people are going to be hesitant to spend $60 on a game they've already played before just to see new graphics. Also, I have a feeling that the reason people think FFVII is so good is because it got them started on RPGs so they had nothing to compare it with at the time, so naturally it will be remembered as being a little better than it actually is.

dotK said:
I think a FFVII remake would be significantly less popular than some people think. When it comes to down to it, I think many people are going to be hesitant to spend $60 on a game they've already played before just to see new graphics. Also, I have a feeling that the reason people think FFVII is so good is because it got them started on RPGs so they had nothing to compare it with at the time, so naturally it will be remembered as being a little better than it actually is.

to each his own.

FF7 was the bomb... i would jump in line for the remake

Aaaaaaaagh. Am I the only one that thinks FF7 was maybe just a littttle (read: a LOT) overrated? Sure, it was a revolutionary RPG and such, but after going to it after playing 9/10/other RPGs, the only thing that really shone was its story I guess. IMO, still waaaaay too overrated.

You have to consider its age as well. Kinda like Evangelion; a lot of people say it's overrated, but at the same time it's over a decade old.

Sorry I misreported,

heatsinker said:
You have to consider its age as well. Kinda like Evangelion; a lot of people say it's overrated, but at the same time it's over a decade old.

Evangelion was da bomb, but Shinji was one serious man-bitch.

NulloModo said:
Sorry I misreported,

Evangelion was da bomb, but Shinji was one serious man-bitch.

Sorry to tread on the off topic here, but Evangelion had The best intro sequence ever in history. It's definately my favorite Anime of all time, incredible art direction and attention to detail.

But yeah, FF7 resides in my childhood youth ... a remake would ruin the magic the game once had.

I would try a remake. I really like VII but X was fun just for the pretty factor. Same with X-2. X-2 was an annoying game but i liked the graphics. The stories have all been great (maybe 8 was a little ehh but yea) so i would probably pick it up. The remake that is

If it does happen to be announced, I wouldn't be surprised. :D

Though IMO, what they really need to make is an FFVIII side-story going through all of Laguna's story.

"What?! Another FFVIII game? BOO!!"

*dodges tomatoes*

;)

Back on topic:
Of course, with a remake they'll do all the expected stuff (prettier explosions, slicker battle system, polygons/shaders++, voice acting, etc. etc. )... BUT along with those I have three special requests:
1. Clearly market it as a "Re-imagining" of FFVII, and not as a replacement or update of the original FFVII. Clearly differentiate the games as two separate products. Just to avoid the wrath of the "OmGH4rdc0r3 FFVII fanZZ!" ;)
2. DETAILED FACIAL EXPRESSIONS!!!
3. See #2.

Seriously though, with all the power for these fancy new next-generation graphics , we need to see real advancement in the design department as well.
Meaning: Not just improvement of graphics in the technical sense, but the inclusion of real detail and style in the design as well -- we need to see character designs or facial detail that could never have been done before due to hardware limitations. This is especially important in a JRPG like FFVII, where character interactions play the big role that it does.

Think how much more convicing the whole experience would be if you could actually see the detail in Yuffie's face as she teases Cloud, instead of what we had on the PSX... (oh wait, we had nothing back then, just kidding. :D )

Seriously, re-designing the game from the ground-up for convincing displays of emotion is going to do wonders for really fleshing out the characters. If Square-Enix is going to greenlight this project (or if it secretly already has), then they need to focus on this.

Final Fantasy 7 will be remade. I GAURENTEE IT.

It Probably wont happen soon tho.... But every FF is getting re done somewhat... They will eventually get to 7.

I would like to see it in August 2007 - the 10 year anneversey. That would be hot.

I would pay a solid 100$ USD for it. Period.

Isaacav2 said:
Sorry to tread on the off topic here, but Evangelion had The best intro sequence ever in history. It's definately my favorite Anime of all time, incredible art direction and attention to detail.

But yeah, FF7 resides in my childhood youth ... a remake would ruin the magic the game once had.

I thought I was the only one that liked the Eva intro. :p

10th Anniversary doesn't sound like a bad idea; Konami, for instance, practically remade all of the earlier Suikoden games with the latest game because of its 10th Anniversary.

heatsinker said:

10th Anniversary doesn't sound like a bad idea; Konami, for instance, practically remade all of the earlier Suikoden games with the latest game because of its 10th Anniversary.

<3 Asuka Langley Soryu <3
<3 Rei Ayanami <3
<3 Missato Katsuragi <3

heatsinker said:

Evangenlion was cool, but Shinji was still a man-bitch.

I mean he could of had Misato at any point and he decides to jerk off over Asuka's comatose body instead?

movax said:
Aaaaaaaagh. Am I the only one that thinks FF7 was maybe just a littttle (read: a LOT) overrated?

The whole FF series is massively overrated.

Why won't everyone just let this pipedream go?

They're already working on FFXIII. When do you think they would have time to port VII in a way that would do it justice?

Stereophile said:
The whole FF series is massively overrated.

Thank you.

NulloModo said:
Evangenlion was cool, but Shinji was still a man-bitch.

I mean he could of had Misato at any point and he decides to jerk off over Asuka's comatose body instead?
QFT. Misato ftw. >.>

K600 said:
Why won't everyone just let this pipedream go?

They're already working on FFXIII. When do you think they would have time to port VII in a way that would do it justice?

Thank you.

They have several teams working on seperate projects. And I only got into FFX, which was an amazingly beautiful game for its time with a very interesting story, but I was put off by the combat system. I'm definetely going to give XIII a try.

I missed FFVII because I was poor (5th grade :)) and didn't have a PS. However, I remember the kids on the bus raving about it.

I wouldn't mind a remake of FF7 as long as it came for the X360, and didn't cost $60. I just find it hard justifying that kind of money for a game i've played, and still have for PC. If it does cost $60, it better have some substantial content to it. In my opinion, FF7 was the best of the FF series as I just didn't enjoy in the ones after that. I havn't played 11 or 12 yet, so I can't comment on those.

movax said:
Aaaaaaaagh. Am I the only one that thinks FF7 was maybe just a littttle (read: a LOT) overrated? Sure, it was a revolutionary RPG and such, but after going to it after playing 9/10/other RPGs, the only thing that really shone was its story I guess. IMO, still waaaaay too overrated.

The story is what makes for any great RPG though. The most engrossing RPGs I have ever played did not stand out because of any new gameplay hook, new combat system, etc, they stood out because they developers took the time to write a good story that drew the gamer in and made them care about the characters.

id prefer a modern remake of the first final fantasy...no offense but id rather have the option to completely pick my party and name them. im tired of all these repetetive lame emo characters.

Lakedaimon said:
id prefer a modern remake of the first final fantasy...no offense but id rather have the option to completely pick my party and name them. im tired of all these repetetive lame emo characters.

Uh...they just defaulted at those names. You can named them whatever you wanted when you first met a new character that can be in your party

Lakedaimon said:

You mean like Final Fantasy Origins on PS1, or Dawn of Souls on GBA?

I've played FFVII to death and would definitely enjoy a remake, esp. if they update the translation and patch some of the holes in the game (tissue? 1/32 soldier? replica of sephiroth's sword?).

However, is an FFVII remake worth at least $500 for a ps3 plus $60 for the disk?

No.

Slartibartfast said:
You mean like Final Fantasy Origins on PS1, or Dawn of Souls on GBA?

I've played FFVII to death and would definitely enjoy a remake, esp. if they update the translation and patch some of the holes in the game (tissue? 1/32 soldier? replica of sephiroth's sword?).

However, is an FFVII remake worth at least $500 for a ps3 plus $60 for the disk?

No.

Hey you can place the 1/32 soldier on your villa at costa del sol, can't you? :D

Slartibartfast said:
Can you??

Well when I aproached the bed a option poped up to place it there (on the little table)
it stood there for some time but after some world traveling it was gone :(

Sephiros said:
Well when I aproached the bed a option poped up to place it there (on the little table)
it stood there for some time but after some world traveling it was gone :(

Weird. It does say there's 8 in a set but I've only found like 3. I think there's a door down in Junon with a dog in front of it that I've never made it through.

imho...a remake is doable... although not probable... it would be a shame to redo such a classic... nonetheless... i would definitely get it if they make a remake... make tifa look like she did in advent of children... and ill pay whatever is necessary :p

i say its doable because no changes to gameplay/storyline would be needed... just upgrade the graphics and some other minor stuff...

They need to add more superbosses (ie. more Weapons).

Has anyone tried the "Beating Emerald Weapon with a Lv. 25 party" challenge? It's funny how quickly a little too much free time and a little bit of creative thinking can lead to insane materia setups and crazy combos. ;)

there was so much story line and content in FF7 that they could produce a 2-3 part animated or CGI movie about it, much like what they did with FF1, infact i'd probably be much more up for looking twords that then a new game with pretty much the same story line, a bit more content and updated graphics

i wouldnt be surprised, especially since square hasnt made a single decent title since.

evangelion was also overrated

On a side note...

"Did you know that if you find all of the 1/32 soldiers and win the Masamune Blade at Golden Saucer you can get Sephiroth to join your party?!?! OMFGWTFHAXXORZZZ"

HAHA
:)

Hopefully I'm not the only one who got that...

mrbay said:
On a side note...

"Did you know that if you find all of the 1/32 soldiers and win the Masamune Blade at Golden Saucer you can get Sephiroth to join your party?!?! OMFGWTFHAXXORZZZ"

HAHA
:)

Hopefully I'm not the only one who got that...

I thought you had to take the soldiers, the masamune blade, and get 99 tissues. Then you go to the lake where Cloud deposited Aeris, and you can ressurect her! That way you can actually get her to learn her lvl 4 limit break!

Slartibartfast said:
I thought you had to take the soldiers, the masamune blade, and get 99 tissues. Then you go to the lake where Cloud deposited Aeris, and you can ressurect her! That way you can actually get her to learn her lvl 4 limit break!

I do hope you're joking :p that's impossible. Although you can get her lvl 4 limit break before she dies.

Back