MisterDNA
[H]ard|Gawd
- Joined
- Feb 8, 2004
- Messages
- 1,058
Okay, my wife and I are doing a huge project where we are going to be brutally efficient with everything. Everything especially includes electricity. Think Neo-Mennonite. But there's a problem. I do 3D animations and need serious CPU power for it.
My Dell 2001FP has a max consumption of 90W and the brick PSU for that is extremely efficient. I can see it's a good example of what I want.
All the efficiency with Xeon LVs underclocked to hell with voltage reduction, heatpipes and doing the same to the RAM won't mean shit if I don't have a power supply that's unable to do its part. With most ATX supplies being in the neighborhood of 60-70%, that's just not kosher. I saw that Seasonic has supplies which are 87% efficient while being rather quiet around 300W output. That is in the neighborhood I wanted because I was ready to go solar with some special BUCK convertor power supplies that need no fans and are 90+% efficient. But are also rather weak in terms of power output and are expensive. And these supplies require a 12VDC input. Problem there. I will trade 3% of my efficiency for something that will peak when needed and run like a hippy at all other times.
Any supplies better than Seasonic for AC?
Here's my config idea:
Asus PC-DL (hope I can drop the CPU voltage a lot lower than 1.3V [haven't read up on it yet])
Dual Xeon LV 1.6GHz (drop FSB down a lot lower than the 200ddr I think it has)
3GB whatever DDR I can get away with (any efficient kinds out there? [/doubt it])
GF FX whatever I can turn into a Quadro and underclock + undervolt the GPU of + silent cool
Some SATA RAID 5 card that's efficient
efficient/quiet CD-RW or DVD-RW
likely five 250-300GB hard disk drives (best efficiency and density I can get at good price [big power consumer here with these])
case from a G5 if I can mod one since they have killer convection airflow
low-speed 120mm fans blowing over hard disks
more shit later if I feel like it
Any helpage?
My Dell 2001FP has a max consumption of 90W and the brick PSU for that is extremely efficient. I can see it's a good example of what I want.
All the efficiency with Xeon LVs underclocked to hell with voltage reduction, heatpipes and doing the same to the RAM won't mean shit if I don't have a power supply that's unable to do its part. With most ATX supplies being in the neighborhood of 60-70%, that's just not kosher. I saw that Seasonic has supplies which are 87% efficient while being rather quiet around 300W output. That is in the neighborhood I wanted because I was ready to go solar with some special BUCK convertor power supplies that need no fans and are 90+% efficient. But are also rather weak in terms of power output and are expensive. And these supplies require a 12VDC input. Problem there. I will trade 3% of my efficiency for something that will peak when needed and run like a hippy at all other times.
Any supplies better than Seasonic for AC?
Here's my config idea:
Asus PC-DL (hope I can drop the CPU voltage a lot lower than 1.3V [haven't read up on it yet])
Dual Xeon LV 1.6GHz (drop FSB down a lot lower than the 200ddr I think it has)
3GB whatever DDR I can get away with (any efficient kinds out there? [/doubt it])
GF FX whatever I can turn into a Quadro and underclock + undervolt the GPU of + silent cool
Some SATA RAID 5 card that's efficient
efficient/quiet CD-RW or DVD-RW
likely five 250-300GB hard disk drives (best efficiency and density I can get at good price [big power consumer here with these])
case from a G5 if I can mod one since they have killer convection airflow
low-speed 120mm fans blowing over hard disks
more shit later if I feel like it
Any helpage?