Eeek!! Water on the system

SpeedSlayer

Supreme [H]ardness
No No its that it leaked during operation. I was running the test of water cooling unit, and about 4-5 drops of water got on the Northbridge Chipset, and GPU.

I used a blowdryer on hot for about 5 minutes, how much long do I need to wait for the system to be on

my comp survived 6 inches of water during a flood, 5-6 drops wont do anything. you could probably submurge a mobo in water as long as you waited for it to dry long enough. as long as its dry, you're fine.

Originally posted by themustafa
do you see water?

lol yeah, not to be rude, but your motherboard is mostly plastic/metal, not a paper towel. If you don't see any water on the board, I'm gonna bet the house on "dry".

If I were you I'd take it out and let a fan blow onto it for half an hour. You can wait that long, can't you? Is your hardware worth waiting half an hour for?

Originally posted by PhyberOptik
If I were you I'd take it out and let a fan blow onto it for half an hour. You can wait that long, can't you? Is your hardware worth waiting half an hour for?

a half an hour with a fan for 4-5 drops? guys, come on, thats ridiculous. you coulda just wiped it off with a towel and it woulda been fine.

you really should let it sit for about a mounth or 2... and then send it to me for testing.... just to be shure

:p

i've had a small pool (about 1/2in x 1/2in pool) of water drip onto my vid card, I noticed it..... figured if it fried it was time for a upgrade... if it didnt... so be it.... i tightened down the hose clamp to stop the leak... but never bothered to clean up the water... just let it evap off the card it never fried.... hell it didnt even lock up, and yes... it rolled down the mother board and over the agp slot to get there.... if you dont see ware chances are its fine... if you dont want to take a chance... wait over night and you'll be safe for shure

thore

themustafa,

Even invisible moisture can linger between surface mount dry joints for hours, depending on ambient tempreature and humidity.

If you are happy to take the risk to just wipe it with a paper towel, that's your baby. Chances are it would be more than sufficient. But again, the question: Is your hardware worth 30 minutes of your time?

Back