Educate me about what threats I face over the internet (not as stupid as it sounds)

vsboxerboy

2[H]4U
I will be traveling soon and using a laptop pretty regularly. Even visiting known sites, what security issues do I face by using the internet connection of other places in order to get things like email, etc. done.

How easily can someone gain access to my computer when I am using their WiFi?
Can something be installed on my computer w/o my knowledge?
How quickly can my data being sent/recipient be viewed by another party?
I really despise antivirus software, how critical is it or is it a false sense of security?

I figure bringing my own computer is much better than using an internet cafe, but I know there must still be some risk, I just don't really know enough about what is and is not possible over networks now a days. BTW, the computer is a Dell mini 10 and the OS is XP professional.

Thanks!

First of all, your view of AV software as something that "steals processing cycles and resources" is just FUD, plain and simple.

Modern AV solutions, even free ones, such as Avira Anti-Vir and Microsoft Security Essentials are completely un-noticeable. I don't even know MSE is installed when running it on my netbook.

If you are paranoid (you did start this thread.. ;) ) install Anti-Vir or MSE and Comodo Firewall and be done with it.

Well, your data can't be sniffed if you use a VPN or connect to websites using SSL. (Well, it can, but they'd have to decrypt it)

I'd put a personal firewall up there, even the Windows XP firewall is better than nothing. Block File and Printer sharing. (better yet, block everything)

Im agreeing with these two guys. Install some sort of av in combo with a personal firwall. In reality you pose the same risk using your netbook than you company provided laptop.

I have to admit this thread remind me of a good friend. Paranoid about everyone stealing hits thoughts and ideas though the internet. Ill say this that I keep telling him... Take the tin foil off your head, figure out how best to protect yourself (av, firewall, email encryption) and do it. Plain and simple
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Well, let me clarify here - I'm going to be traveling through various countries, Thailand, China, India, South Africa, and more so that's why I'm more nervous.

As far as AV goes, I'll look into one I just know that my netbook has barely enough resources as it is but I'll agree with you all and say if I am this worried, I might as well haha.

So but the bottom line here is am I being paranoid and there is nothing to worry about or should I take preventative measures?

Well, no you should take preventive measures, but I'm just trying to say that these measure really aren't as resource intensive and annoying as you seem to think they are. Like I said, I run MSE on my Atom netbook with only 1GB of RAM and don't even know its running. Avira Anti-Vir was the same way when I ran that.

I would actually reccomend Avira Anti-Vir over MSE for the sole reason that MSE is still technically in Beta.

http://www.free-av.com/

And for a firewall, this one gets recommended alot around here. OTOH, if you just set up Windows Firewall properly, that should be more than enough.

If you do go with Comodo, only install the Firewall portion. It comes with an AV aswell but you get a choice whether you want to install it or not.

Last edited:
I run Symantec End Point with just av and spyware on my aspire one. It runs just fine speed wise

I run Symantec End Point with just av and spyware on my aspire one. It runs just fine speed wise

OP, don't do this. First, Endpoint is aimed at servers and workstations, second, its a Symantec product.... :eek:

OP, don't do this. First, Endpoint is aimed at servers and workstations, second, its a Symantec product.... :eek:

If you don't like Symantec products that's your problem. It was only making a point that how resource extensive it is it works on netbooks. Also if you actually installed just the av and spyware it actually runs pretty decent.

Give it a try before telling someone not to do it

Apparently you aren't aware how bad they are..

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

avast! Professional Edition 4.8
AVG Anti-Virus 8.0
AVIRA AntiVir Premium 8.2
BitDefender Antivirus 2009
eScan Anti-Virus 10
ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus 3.0
F-Secure Anti-Virus 2009
G DATA AntiVirus 2009

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009
Kingsoft Antivirus 2009
McAfee VirusScan Plus 2009
Microsoft Live OneCare 2.5
Norman Antivirus & Anti-Spyware 7.10
Sophos Anti-Virus 7.6.4
Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 2009
TrustPort Antivirus 2.8

The only symantec on this list i see is av 2009? Did I miss something?

I did already say that the most recommended 3rd party firewall around here was Comodo firewall... And also like I said, the built in Windows Firewall is more than enough if properly setup.

If you don't like Symantec products that's your problem. It was only making a point that how resource extensive it is it works on netbooks. Also if you actually installed just the av and spyware it actually runs pretty decent.

Give it a try before telling someone not to do it
I'd recommend not using end point either. It's "OK", but it is a resource hog and will slow down a system. More so if the laptop in question is light on resources.

I'll grant you it's better than their previous corporate products.

To think outside the box a bit, the thing you REALLY need to be paranoid about is the laptop getting physically stolen. Last year, over 12,000 laptops were stolen per week from American airports, and I'm sure the theft rates are at least as bad elsewhere.

I did already say that the most recommended 3rd party firewall around here was Comodo firewall... And also like I said, the built in Windows Firewall is more than enough if properly setup.

+1 for Comodo, it's pretty decent.

For free AV, Avira gets my vote (great detection rates), and for a paid subscription, I prefer Kaspersky (less false positives).

Haven't tried MSE yet but I hear great things about it.

Thank you, that is very helpful.

I'm sure this will start another war on this thread, but what firewall would you recommend, or is the Windows firewall enough?

Any firewall is better then not having nothing at all.

i would go with any stated above me, all good firewalls/Anti-virus

I personally use Nod32 Which is very light weight and also use Kaspersky A/V.

If you don't want another program eating up resources, just go with Windows built in firewall. It'll get the job done.

Back