Edge Secure, Microsoft Edge browser built in VPN?

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
The Edge browser now has a built in VPN. Whether or not its good, I dont know. Each Microsoft account gets free 5gb of VPN data a month.

Edge Secure Network VPN
Get online security protection that is smart enough to turn on when you need it the most– like when you’re connected to an open Wi-Fi network. Edge Secure Network uses VPN technology to stop third parties and bad actors from accessing your sensitive information, so you can make purchases online, fill out forms, and keep your browsing activity away from prying eyes. And best of all, it’s built in and free in Microsoft Edge.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/features/edge-secure-network-vpn?form=MT00IX

Thoughts?

What is a good theme for Chrome? My Dark Horizon Theme no longer skins correclty for Chrome since the guy who made the theme hasn't updated it in a decade.

I believe that VPN's are soon to be made obsolete thanks to backdoors built into modern hardware that give each machine a unique ID. I'm not an expert on this but I did read an article a while ago that mentioned this. The implications are profound and suggest that no matter how many superficial layers of obfuscation you place between yourself and a website, nothing will be able to mask your machines ID.

Don’t worry, the VPN routes through definitelynotspying.Microsoft.com, you should be fine. :p

Microsoft and Secure and VPN in 1 sentence makes for a great disaster in the future.

Reactions: A I
like this
We joke about Microsoft and Secure, but the VPN tunneling services they use for Azure and Hybrid AD environments are good.

I believe that VPN's are soon to be made obsolete thanks to backdoors built into modern hardware that give each machine a unique ID. I'm not an expert on this but I did read an article a while ago that mentioned this. The implications are profound and suggest that no matter how many superficial layers of obfuscation you place between yourself and a website, nothing will be able to mask your machines ID.

Not even if your browser is encapsulated in a virtual machine, which is then using a VPN? You'll need to link that article.

Not even if your browser is encapsulated in a virtual machine, which is then using a VPN? You'll need to link that article.
Not even then because of how the IP packets are encapsulated, as far as anything is concerned the local PC is just a switch at that point.
But Google, Facebook, and other media giants have already built AI's or whatever they want to call them to take all the logs they can gather from the entrance and exit nodes of the VPN providers and based on the packet signatures and structure and best estimates of the VPN's traffic speeds they are able to accurately match the traffic going into the VPN and the Traffic leaving them, what happens in the middle may be a mystery but largely irrelevant at that stage because very little of what you access is solely contained within the VPN itself.

But as per NordVPN
https://www.ticktechtold.com/using-vpn-hide-your-device-id/?expand_article=1

What a VPN Can’t Hide​

While VPNs are a potent tool in your privacy arsenal, they aren’t all-powerful. One thing a VPN can’t hide is your device ID.
Your device ID is a unique identifier that can recognize your specific device, regardless of which network it’s connected to.
Even if you’re using a VPN, websites, and services can see your device ID.
Moreover, a VPN can’t completely protect you from online tracking. Some sophisticated trackers, like cookies and browser fingerprinting, can still monitor your activities.

Google runs fingerprinting and other tracking services on some 94% of the internet last I checked, so...

Can't find the article, it was related to TPMs inside of the CPU and remote attestation. For example a website could refuse to allow you to access it unless you can cryptographically prove certain things about your hardware/software configuration, and since this is generated internally on the CPU you can't control it as a user. VMs also useless for masking identity. The fear is that this tech could be utilized by ISPs to gatekeep access to the internet, not allowing devices to connect until their unique identity has been confirmed, eventually they want to tie this to a digital ID, at which point doing anything online 'anonymously' becomes a thing of the past.

Sounds like blatant tech click bait. Articles like that which propose or speculate radical changes to tech are often just clickbait.

Sounds like blatant tech clickbait.
Nope sadly not, VPNs can protect you from a cursory scan and passive bystanders, but big data can watch you almost every step of the way, they can't see what happens specifically inside the VPN host's network but they can watch it from your Modem to their Entry Node, and they can watch it from the Exit Node to the website you are on. Then because just about every website reports back to Google Analytics and blah blah blah that gets stored and shared so they know what you were doing on the site and can use that to fill in the blanks the VPN creates and yeah that's about it.
VPNs don't protect you or your data, they just change who can readily see it.

Back