ECS motherboards?

ekorazn

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
452
Fry's ALWAYS has deals with ONLY ECS boards with the processors, but I don't now why?

I always had a feeling it wasn't the best company, but perhaps they aren't so bad now? Are they at least reliable (performance isn't a issue for me)?
 
ECS makes some of the cheapest motherboards out there. This is the only reason Fry's deals in them the way they do. ECS used to be total crap. Over the last couple of years, they've taken great strides and have improved their quality quite a bit.

Even so, the ECS boards are not good overclockers. Bear this in mind. What alot of people do with the Fry's deals, is buy the combo, sell the board and get the board they really want for thier CPU.
 
I thought ECS had improved too. Not enough.

I got one of their NF4 boards with X2 3800+, and a Via P4M800 MATX board with a P4 511. Nothing but problems with both. Those boards aren't worth your time.

Their "Extreme" boards are passable. Anything less is a gamble at best.
 
ECS motherboards work great for non-overclocking solutions.

They are simply not enthusiast motherboards, but the majority of them are stable at stock speeds. A couple of years ago, ECS boards may have suffered in quality. But since then, they have improved by a considerable margin.
 
Don't forget ECS also does a lot of OEM boards...

So you may have a board that you think is not ECS/PCChips but it was made at one of their fabs to the customers BOMs...
 
i had this one ECS ( alot of us know it) the K7S5A probrably the most popular ECS board there is. I sold it to a friend ( cause thats what you do with thoes boards ) and he used it for a bit then bought a ASUS.. at a lan party one day the asus died and he called his brother to send the ECS.. and low and behold it still booted up after a little frabrications from us both ( and frying like 4 XPs in it)... to this day. its Fryed 5 XPs and still lives in anouther friends computer... so im gunna say that ECS board are great boards to the fact that they WONT DIE and they suck ass in OCing.. most of the time they really cant OC..
 
Hey guys. I'm new here, first post. That ECS board posted above me, the KS75A was the first board I OC'd on. It was a 1600+ XP that I was able to get 100Mhtz over on. I did have to hunt down a custom bios for it which gave me fsb speeds of 135 138 143 on up to 166. Man that board was stable. But like the others have mentioned I would try to stay away from ECS.
 
I had 2 K7S5A's, one of which would boot at 300/300 (150MHz), and could run Barton processors at 333/333 (166MHz)...
 
the problem with most ECS boards is they're based on VIA & SIS chipsets!!

I've seen them bundle it with the 945 chipset motherboard. I bet that would be OK. It still probably won't overclock well, but at least it will be stable.
 
I have nothing bad to say about ECS... it seems that with the venerable K7S5A and K7S5A Pro they started a huge turnaround quality wise. The ECS boards of today are good solid performers and quite dependable.

They are in most cases poor or mediocre overclockers though, even their recent 'Extreme' line leave a lot to be desired when it comes to overclocking. Great for the price though. :)
 
Stay away from ECS!!!! I had one, I was about to throw it in the trash and burn it. Instead, I sold it....
 
i have one and i really like it i have a SLI extreme

i think Hardocp did a review on it and said it was an awesome board but not for overclocking
 
Back
Top