ECS KN3 SLI2 and IDE/ATA133 woes...

Vagamus

Gawd
I just upgraded my system, and one of the upgrades was ECS's KN3 SLI2 mobo.

I got it all up and stable, with one glaring issue; I can't get my DVD-ram to get its proper speed, and its stuck in PIO. I've gone through different OS configurations, reinstalled XP almost half a dozen times now, and still cannot fix it.

I have switched cables, tried getting xp to redetect the speeds, and tried different versions of XP to see if that had any effect.

I tried disconnecting the cable, which is on the secondary eide slot at the lower end of the board, and connected it to my secondary hdd... the result seemed to be the same, but i had not booted up into xp to see if the speeds had changed. I may do that later, but it seems like it see's any device on that secondary ide in the bios as a scsi device, refers to it at "scsi0".

There are no options i can see in the bios which enable or disable scsi functionality, or which may be blocking my use of that ide slot properly.

I have RTFM to no avail.

Does anyone else have this board and perhaps had these problems?

Got a reply back from ecs that said i should throw it in cable select mode and try it on the first ide channel.

Been there, done that. evidentally reading isn't a high priority in taiwan. :mad:

Anyone out there have problems with this board or problems like this before? should i rma it or what?

I have the exact same problem with the ECS KA3 MPV. I have a DVD-ROM I wanted to set up on the additional PATA/IDE channel (this is the one that is supported by the JMicron JMB363 chip, and it will only run in PIO mode. Sucks! I think it has to do with the fact that there is no way to enter the JMB BIOS, and just it defaults to PIO. The ECS guys either totally forgot about this, or just didn't care. Because, according to the JMicron spec sheet, the JMB363 supports everything a modern ATA/IDE solution should. If you have a way, put your DVD drive on the other IDE connector. I should tell you that I have been able to successfully put two ATA133 hard disks on the JMB363 connector, and they are functioning perfectly. It seems to just not like optical drives.

I'll give it a whirl.

I was actually considereing returning it and getting another mobo heh, but i'll give this a try first.

Thanks for the input :D

Actually starting to experience strange happenings with this thing.

It appears that the connection on the two lan ports is sketchy, on/off at time randomly, but it doesn't do it terribly enough for most apps to disconnect, mostly just aim.

Also, i'm getting random reboots, and a couple BSOD's.

I've noticed since i fresh installed that it has failed to recognize my settings on two legitimate resets, that is... i run in win classic mode with no sounds, and it continues to forget these settings at a seemingly random rate.

On top of all of that, i occasionally have problems with my slave device on the first ide channel (the 2nd one still isn't running the optical drive at anything but PIO, but i haven't been able to get a cable long enough to use it and channel the 2nd ide drive to the 2nd ide channel.). Windows will sometimes report it as not there for an access (like saving a file or what not), and other times i get a "cyclic redundancy error" when copying larger files.

Does any of this add up to much to any of you? I'm seriously considering an RMA at this point.

Back