ECS K8M800-M2 boot problem, please help

Eagle106

Limp Gawd
I have a ECS K8M800-M2 motherboard with an Athlon Sempron 64 2800+ CPU and 512 mb or Corsair value select ram. When I turn it on It goes to the boot screen. It detects the CPU as an Athlon but says that the model is unknown, It then detects all 512 mbs of ram. It will hang for about 10 seconds then will say "detecting IDE devices". It will detect my cd-rom and then it will say that it is detecting IDE Devices again and will hang there. I'm using a Western Digital SATA drive, so I tried a spare IDE hard drive. It would detect it but would still hang after saying "detecting IDE devices". It won't let me go to the BIOS, it will just hang there saying "detecting IDE devices".

So, is my board defective or could it be hanging because it will not detect my CPU model? The manual says that it supports the Sempron processor. Could a bad PSU also cause this, it is a 300 Watt?

Thanks for your help.

Just struggled with this problem myself, I know it's late but others may benefit. WD SATA drives need to be jumpered to work with this motherboard (and perhaps the chipset itself). Jumper pins 5 and 6 and it will detect it and boot properly. Hope this helps someone else.

I build a ton of systems with these boards where I work as a Tech. Theres an updated BIOS at ECS's website that fixes that issue.

Back