Economical home AIO printer

speedlever

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 29, 2006
Messages
447
I need to replace my under 3 year old Canon MX860 which died unexpectedly recently. I printed a page, went back to the computer to select another page to print, hit the print button and.... nothing. Looked at the printer and no lights were on, nothing. It was like someone pulled the power cord.

I tried different outlets, but all was the same. No joy. It has to be something simple, like an internal fuse or something, but Canon was no help trying to figure out the problem. Fortunately, Costco took it back and refunded my money.

I have a limited space where the printer resides... it's about 15 inches tall. So a big AIO (like the HP 8600 pro) will be space challenged. I'm considering another Canon... the MX892. Or maybe a Brother J825dw AIO.

I'm mainly concerned with cost of consumables and not so much the cost of the device, within reason. This is for home use and I probably print 2 or 3 reams of paper per year, the occasional photo, and have an occasional need to scan and fax.

I had a cheap B&W laser one time but found that refilling the toner cartridge was less than satisfactory.

One thing I like about Canon inkjets is that I've had very good luck with 3rd party printer carts. I can get a full set of 5 carts for about $5. I literally choke on the price of OEM carts for Canon... and for HP too. I have a temp printer I'm using that takes HP97 and 96 carts. I simply cannot believe the price to replace these ink carts. More than the cost of the printer... or close to it.

I wouldn't mind a laser AIO and do my color photos commercially, but don't know much about them. Or if they would fit it my cramped spot. That 15 inch height limitation works with the low profile MX892/860 but I think it would be tough with something as tall as the HP8600 pro. The Brother mentioned above would probably work ok in that space. I have no idea what I'm looking at sizewise for a laser AIO. Or cost either, for that matter.

Do Brother inkjets do well with cheap 3rd party inks? Not sure if I should leave my Canon comfort zone or not. Any laser AIOs that might be a consideration?

Any suggestions?
 
Back
Top